Nvidia or ATI, what GPU do you want to see in the next MBP and WHY?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wikoogle, Feb 7, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I've seen many people post that they want to see an ATI GPU. I was wondering if there was a particular reason for this. I don't know much about Nvidia's chips, do they not offer any with comparable performance and efficency?

If it's an ATI, I hope it's the ATI Mobility 5850 NOT the 5830.

Why, you ask?

Because the main bottleneck for the GPU will be the memory. There are two ways you can get rid of that bottleneck.

You can either use a GPU with a 256-bit bus, or you can use a GPU that uses GDDR5 memory instead of the far slower GDDR3 memory.

The 5830 offers neither, and is thus heavily bottlenecked by the memory. Both the 5850 and 5870 use GDDR5 memory and thus hold their own against even higher end desktop GPUs.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's a current gen (Direct X 11) GPU with either 256-bit or GRRD5 ram, I would be satisfied regardless of who makes it.

I wasn't aware that the Nvidia 250GTS came with GDDR5 but if it indeed does, I would be perfectly satisfied witht that chip as well. So which do you hope to see?

Is there a particular reason why you prefer ATI or Nvidia or do you not care as long as its either GDDR5 or 256-bit?

P.S: It's not technically GPU related but I'm also really hoping to see the improved GPU taken advantage of with a 1920×1080 Resolution screen on the High End 15" MBP, along with either a Display Port With Audio Output Support or a HDMI port, a higher resolution iSight camera and a blu ray drive either now or by October.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'd like to see ATI chips since I have always viewed them as an underdog of sorts, and they also seem to have a better track-record as of late.

3. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

ATI actually has been dominating sales lately. They make up 65% of all mobile discrete GPUs sold.

I'm just curious if there was a reason for this. I'm not familiar with Nvidia's chips.

Are 58XX/57XX ATI's Mobility line GPUs more powerful than anything Nvidia offers with similar power consumption? Or is it just a matter of personal preference that people want ATI?

4. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

I'd like to See ATI because Nvidia are not allowed to make chipsets for the Arrandale processor :rolleyes:

What chipset would be viable for an NVIDA GPU??? (besides 45nm Nahelam) and if Apple does use 45nm Nahelam again, I hope the notebook prices are much lower since that will be old technology.

5. JacaByte macrumors 6502

I would rather see an nVidia GPU than an ATI GPU because A) their naming conventions suck and B) ATI GPU's never age well. When they're brand new it's all fine and dandy, but after time goes by they deliver crappy performance on games and such where they meet the minimum requirements, whereas nVidia chips can keep on trucking, even if you can't max out the quality settings.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

nVidia is the one that has the worst naming convention. All they do is selling the same GPU under a different name all the time.

My old ATI card of my 7 year old PC I still have plays COD4 at maximum settings so aging is no problem with ATI card ;)

( the ATI is not 7 years old, can't remember when I replaced the GPU but it's extremely old as well :p )

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

Does Nvidia even have a mobile GPU that is truly a GT200 series model instead of just a rebranded 8xxx/9xxx series?

8. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Its likely to be a newer one that is Optimus compatible, definitely won't be Fermi-based. Midrange 300M series, probably 360M or something, I don't think those even support DX11, but its doubtful Apple cares about DX11.

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

We will not see anything higher then the 5830 in the MBP, the TDP is just way too high on the other models.
    I'm hoping for a 5650 on the lower MBPs and a 5830 on the higher end versions but I wouldn't be surprised if the high end MBP packs a 5650.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, ATI's chips run faster, cooler, cheaper, use less power, are DirectX 11 complient, and weren't manufactured using faulty components.

Any other questions? :cool:

11. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

how much more heat in TDP is the 5830 vs 5850 or 5870?
    compared to existing nvidia card in current gen?

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

nVidia.

Im part of the Green Team i must admit, love them, brilliant cards, much more sophisticated than loud hot ATI's.

13. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Not gonna happen.

We'll be lucky to even get that. I'm expecting the 5650 if it's ATI.

14. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

My money is on the best... whoever that should be, i want the fastest one!

I Hope NVidia and my money is on NVidia, i had 2 Computers with ATI, one had really bad ones, and the other one brokedown after 2 years of usage and almost made me buy a new logic board, I had a lot of Computers with NVidia ones which are fast and work well, still as i said, my money is on the fasters GPU

15. coolmacguy macrumors regular

You just contradicted yourself.

16. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I didn't contradict myself, i want the fastest one not sure if that is ATI or NVidia, but i hope NVidia will be the one

17. mattgoldey macrumors member

I just want to be able to play WoW with all of the graphics settings cranked all the way up to max. :)

18. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Whichever offers the best deal to Apple for the best performance.

Any talk of one chip aging better is complete FUD and any talk of one breaking down more than another is complete FUD. They are both world class. ATi currently offers the better performing/lower power chips but if Nvidia cut Apple a great deal and they pass it along I will not complain.

19. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

As long as it's not integrated Intel crap-phics, either ATI or NV is good ...

20. hellric macrumors member

Yeah, same as him :)
    My guess is only ATI 5650 or 4670 :/

21. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What Alvi says makes sense. The fastest one and preferably Nvidia.
    The thing is the fastest one is not Nvidia. ATI has unfortunately worse drivers and in GPGPU stuff Nvidia is ahead and a little more flexible.
    In terms of Gaming performance ATIs/AMD GPUs are currently better.

The newest Nvidia GT330M can compete with the old Hd4650 again but looses against a 5650, while playing in a similar TDP range.

Nvidia only has DirectX 10.1 and there will be no mobile Dx11 part from Nvidia anytime soon. Fermi is a Desktop only chip for a while and mobile parts of this architecture are far away and likely to be less power efficient than current AMD/ATI GPUs.
    Dx11 is no that important on the other hand as all the GPUs that stay within the required TDP won't be fast enough for serious use of dx11 effects. The Direct Compute stuff is another thing that might or might not take off. Ergo for Games Dx11 == not important, for Desktop Use == it is.
    Just because it is OSX doesn't mean the Dx11 architecture is not important there are also changes in the Open GL/CL capabilities.

The most likely candidates for a 15" MBP are
    5650 15-20W TDP (I hope not but since it is Apple still possible)
    5750 26W TDP (would be also really cool)
    5830 24W TDP (my favourite)
    or a nvidia Card
    GT335(9600M successor with same TDP rating) or a 350M. Even the latter will be only slightly faster than a 5650 if at all faster but with a 28W TDP rating. 360M is too hot.

The thing with a HD 5850 and most GDDR5 cards is that the TDP seems to be significantly higher. The HD 5830 has an awesome TDP for the processing power and might be easy to overclock a little. How much of a bottleneck the to small bandwidth is is hard to guess. The Desktop 5870 seems not to suffer too much from less bandwidth. I read one test where they underclocked the Memory to half speed and the performance didn't really change all that much.

The current 9600M GT has 23W TDP and I don't think they will put anything in there that is too far off this rating. Maybe 28 of a 5770 but no 30-39 of the 5850.

22. tanyawongz macrumors newbie

ATI, I don't want a repeat of the nvidia 8xxx series problems. I have lost my confidence in them after that.

23. joina macrumors member

anything worse than GT330M 1GB is not acceptable