NY cops told no vacations till slow down ends

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 11, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

City needs its revenue at the expense of the lives & pockets of its citizens

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But ... but ...... there's no quota system. :eek:

3. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

“Police officers around the city are now threatened with transfers, no vacation time and sick time unless they write summonses,” one union source said.

And in no way could this statement coming from a union source be an over exaggeration to drum up sympathy :rolleyes:.

I wonder if the statement was from the "blood on his hands" guy.

4. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Are tickets part of the revenue for a city yes. But all that revenue goes into the police force only. Aka the city does not fund anything else with it.

You seem to think that it is only for money.

But I guess you like no speed limits. People wondering around drunk and pissing in public. Garbage being thrown on the ground.

Don't do your job means punishment.

----------

Even with no quota it is pretty clear you can tell when someone is not doing their job.

What you can look at is position, and portal area and you will get a rough idea at how many tickets you should expect them to right.
    No quota but still you have an expectation on average what someone job is.

It would be like looking at a cashier at a store. They do not have a quota on how many items they should scan or how fast but it is easy to tell when someone is way out side of the norm.

5. Peace, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd fire these guys that aren't doing their basic job. As for the union they should know better.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the job is being done, they are simply not harrassing/jailing/killing everyone over something as minor as in taxed cigarettes :rolleyes:

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What are those expectations based from? I'm pretty sure it's based on the numbers they have seen, from police being aggressively pressured to produce, not from anything realistic that's harming quality of life.

This would be like saying, police are not doing there jobs cause jay walking tickets are low in NYC.

8. TimelessOne macrumors regular

In what world do you live in where a 90% drop is still doing your job.

Those numbers can be historical numbers and you can easily compare them to others. There is a range that is normal and then out side the range. It is not hard to figure out. It is statistics 101. Not that hard. The fact that you seem to not understand that part or not getting it says something.

----------

Was going to say something then I realized that you don't care. You just want to push your agenda and do not want any discussion on the topic.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can't compare the rate of police ticketing to a cashier at the store, as you did in your previous post.

Police have discretionary power when it comes to minor infractions.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

What agenda? Less dead people?:rolleyes:

----------

That might Sound like an agenda to him

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The same agenda as the New York Post for publishing statements from anonymous union sources.

This whole story seems suspect. If it is true, then why not release the name of the union source along with the name of who communicated this to the police officers? Was it from a high ranking official making it have a broader impact or some random sergeant within a single police unit?

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what agenda is that? officer AND citizen safety? they don't release the names because they are not dumb, ticket quotas are wrong any way you slice it.

13. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Yes you can.
    As I said else where it is statistics 101. You know the historical rate for a given portal area and job.
    You also have it to compare other officers. You can easily tell by looking at the data. A 90% drop is is pretty clear one is not doing there job. 10%-15% is easy to write off. Unless you can explain an over 90% compared to last year.

This is stats 101. Not that hard. You have not address basic 101 stats. No quota but historically stats do matter.

14. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    That's amusing. Have you ever tried to fire a union worker?

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Just so there's no confusion, are you saying if you were the mayor you'd suddenly terminate these NYC cops, or are you just talking out of some frustration?

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And what are the effects of the slow down? Besides the money that the city can't even budget right. I always thought of the Police Dept as a protect and serve field, not a money making machine. Show me where issuing tickets is priority. Unless the Police are neglecting citizen's safety, I don't see a problem.

17. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Again tickets cover part of the police budget. So means no replacement cop cars. Means fewer officers. Means no pay raises for the police force. Means taxes raised.

And already covered they are hurting citizen safety.
    It means people are going to speed more, means running more red lights, means public heath decline as more human waste in the streets. Means they are not really just driving around as much.

But I guess you want to walk threw piss. I guess you want to almost be hit by reckless drivers. I guess you do not want any order.
    I guess you want more drunks on the road (dwi also have drop)
    So yes it has declined.
    Don't do your job suffer the punishment. Since they do not want to do there jobs no vacation. Sick days go unpaid which prevents mass call in. Transfer to different units to break up the ring leaders

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Can we guess you want more people, both citizens & cops dead due to the increased tickets & interactions?:rolleyes:

----------

But but but. You will walk on piss:rolleyes:

19. TimelessOne macrumors regular

No that is what you want because you do not want them to do there job. You want everything to decline. Nice try twisting my words.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Speaking of twisting words. WHERE have I said I DONT want them doing their job? Deblasio has spoken out against stop & frisk. Seems the cops stopped doing just that, so what is the problem?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I live and drive in NYC daily. Trust me, everything feels the same. And I still see cops pulling people over. I wouldn't even know about it, if the media didn't report on it.

I'm pretty sure most people get pulled over for going with the flow of traffic anyways. Don't think for a second you can fly past a cop doing 90mph and get away with it because of some slow down.

You perception of this is exaggerated.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I don't understand the problem. Everyone was whining because the police were overstepping their bounds. Now, they have clearly backed off and everyone seems happier. I haven't heard of any serious crimes in NYC, or of criminals 'running a muck'.

The NYPD is reacting to the negative feedback rather nobly, IMO, and now they are being punished for not writing enough tickets and getting in citizens' faces?

Huh?.....:confused:

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Their job is to protect the public, not shake down money from them. Altho the job of the police seems to have become fee collector.

Do we really know where a parking or speeding ticket revenue goes, I always assumed it was the general fund. That is where it goes here at least. It is fed into the state budget not local.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

I was under the impression it was more of a "work to contract" than do no work whatsoever.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sounds like a ticket quota, and who said no work is being done? Arrest are still being made