NY files suit against Trump; "Persistent illegal conduct"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GermanSuplex, Jun 14, 2018.

1. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

From the Washington Post;

The New York attorney general on Thursday filed suit against President Trump and his three eldest children alleging “persistently illegal conduct” at the president’s personal charity, saying Trump repeatedly misused the nonprofit — to pay off his businesses’ creditors, to decorate one of his golf clubs and to stage a multimillion dollar giveaway at his 2016 campaign events.

----------

Let's quickly divert our attention to Hillary and The Clinton Foundation to explain this...

2. 0007776 Suspended

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

And this is news?????

I mean it is totally not surprising and by #45 standards not even worth mentioning in the list of outrage.

4. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

No so much new, but a reality, the teeny tip of the putrid iceberg that needs to be chipped away, the sooner the better. Oh yeah, but I forget this is Trump, Teflon Donny, the guy the minions bow to, worship, their god who writes morality for them. :oops:

5. GermanSuplex thread starter macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Amazing. The DNC, the Clintons, the Obama admin, the FBI, Special Counsel, the former A.G. of New York, the current A.G. of New York, congressional and senate democrats, CNN, NBC, the Washington Post, the New York Times and I'm sure many others are part of "deep state" conspiracy to bring the orange one down.

Trump is responding;

The sleazy New York Democrats, and their now disgraced (and run out of town) A.G. Eric Schneiderman, are doing everything they can to sue me on a foundation that took in $18,800,000 and gave out to charity more money than it took in, $19,200,000. I won’t settle this case!...
    8:09 AM - 14 Jun 2018

....Schneiderman, who ran the Clinton campaign in New York, never had the guts to bring this ridiculous case, which lingered in their office for almost 2 years. Now he resigned his office in disgrace, and his disciples brought it when we would not settle.
    8:09 AM - 14 Jun 2018

6. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I smell a settlement coming....

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump’s twitter feed tonight/tomorrow morning will be lit!

I am curious though...if the activity is/was illegal why are no criminal charges being brought? How is this not fraud?

8. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Now the democrats are after Trump's non-profit charity funds used to better the world? Wow!

9. jerwin macrumors 68020

lawfare has the complaint itself (and they don't have a paywall)

https://www.lawfareblog.com/documen...dation-campaign-coordination-and-self-dealing
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2018 ---

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Using funds from the foundation to, for example, settle law suits against Trump and his businesses, as donations to political candidates and for a portrait of Trump to hang in a golf club do not "better the world."

11. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

Great name for a band.

12. GermanSuplex thread starter macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

These are not blanket accusations like "collusion", these are specific expenditures with dollar amounts.

13. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Hard core disconnect, here.

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Here’s a note in which Trump personally breaks the law by having his foundation pay off a settlement of a law suit.

6067C913-0AA8-4DB3-978E-6436665FE7CB.jpeg

And yet, his supporters will just turn a blind eye to this blatant illegal conduct by their guy.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yet his illegal business dealings would be grounds for impeachment today, but I guess it’s better to use this presidency to continue launching the new Cold War first.

This kind of **** is why I can’t stand the Democrats. They have all they need to actually impeach the guy, but they’d rather continue the geopolitical goals of the war mongers and arms dealers before doing any actual good for the country. The GOP...they’re just outright monsters at this point.

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

The only person Trump is interested in bettering is himself. His foundation is a fraud. Facts are facts and the Clinton foundation has actually done some good in the world.

17. jerwin macrumors 68020

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Well yes, something needed to pay for his daughter’s wedding.

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

But we live in a country where there are TV cameras. MESSAGING nonstop on this would sway public opinion, especially when you have the actual proof. They refuse.

The GOP at least knows how to effectively message, look at how their talking points have bled into the average American's understanding of the ACA.

20. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Another timely summary of Trump's "please copy and paste this" bon mot du jour.

----
    @arkitect The autocorrect offered me "bot" instead of bon :D and I almost settled for it.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

And here’s an email from Trump's campaign manager asking how they can disburse foundation funds in clear violation of the law:

9DABB69C-3893-40DB-98A1-D11FEE32E762.jpeg

22. 0007776 Suspended

I'll give you that the GOP is better at conveying their message than the Democrats are, but when a large portion of the GOP base refuses to believe basic facts and instead screams "fake news" at anything that is negative about Trump any kind of messaging on it would just cement their views.

23. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

I see this as them wanting to make some donation to Veteran's charities while on the campaign trail in Iowa.

24. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Which is illegal.

25. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Why is it illegal to give money to veteran's charities?