NY Times Editorial: The Half-Life of Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atomicbatteries, Jun 20, 2010.

1. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

Probably preaching to the deaf, but there is a valid point being raised!

nytlogo379x64.jpg
    EDITORIAL

June 18, 2010

The Half-Life of Phones
    June comes, and a new iPhone is introduced to the world, creating a shock wave of obsolescence. In the aftermath of first-day preordering chaos last week — caused, apparently, by a major computer glitch — it is worth thinking about the cycle of novelty and the very brief half-life of handheld electronics. There is something feverish in the rush to adoption, something almost obsessive in the way our desires are driven by these objects. The question is rarely ever, do I need a new phone? It is almost always, do I want one?

Few objects on the planet are farther removed from nature — less, say, like a rock or an insect — than a glass and stainless steel smartphone. And yet the materials of which it is made have ultimately all been abstracted from nature, resources consumed in the long chain of the manufacturing process, very few of which — apart from the packing materials — have been recycled. Nearly everyone who buys an iPhone 4 will be replacing an older phone, which means a cascade of discarded phones, some handed down to other users, some recycled, some disposed of in appropriate ways, and some simply junked.

How many cellphones have you owned so far? The answer will depend on your age and technical savvy. But if you have been using cellphones, as many of us have, since the mid-1990s, the answer may well be a dozen or more. And the pace of change — the in-built functionality of smartphones — is only increasing, which is likely to mean an even faster rate of replacement. We are not immune to techno-lust or the seduction of great product design or even the unattainable quest for call clarity. But we look forward to a day when new phones are made from the carcasses of our old phones and the cost of obsolescence is not so high.

2. Gigzz macrumors regular

Dammit, I thought Half Life was coming to the iPhone.

3. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Geez, I've had roughly 11 phones, only 2 of which were purchased out of contract. The rest were done according to upgrade eligibility.

Holy hell, I'm old. :p

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

win

any how me selling an old one to someone else who doesnt have a phone is at least decreasing the orders from apple and helping.

6. aneftp macrumors 601

I have gin through roughly 20 cell phones in the past 4 years along.

There was a loophole in the AT&T premiere system that was closed off 2 years ago. AT&T would let me have a full upgrade every month. It was crazy.

But all things come to an end. Too many people with multiple lines were buying 5 subsidized phones a month and reselling them for profit.

7. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

1995. First cell phone, from Ameritech. I wonder how many phones I've had.

For sure the best 'phone' so far has been my BB Curve 8310 with the best smartphone being the iPhone.

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Wow is that the best angle the NY Times could come up with for an iPhone story, how pathetic.

New replaces old evolution is a constant, it's the consumer product world imitating the natural world.

9. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I currently own three phones and will be an owner of four on the 24th. Do I need another? No but who's to tell me not to get another?

10. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

why in the world do you need/want that many phones? Seriously you have nothing better to spend your money on?

11. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I wonder much paper was "consumed" by NY Times readers before recycling became mainstream? Or how newspapers are failing to move with the times by sticking with printed media? I guess it is a different set of rules for them, right :rolleyes: (I hate using the rolleyes smiley, but he is needed here).

Weak journalism in an attempt to cash in on the iPhone's popularity, how ironic (only my opinion, of course).

12. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

My iPhone 4 will be my 7th cell phone I've owned. And my 4th iPhone. :D:apple:

13. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

It's the NY Times, whaddya expect? Now if Obama, mmm mmm mmm, had an iPhone 4, there'd be whole sections of the paper created just for that.

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

That money could have been taken by the government to feed people who won't work for themselves you heartless barbarian!!!!!!!

;)

15. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I know it's currently unfashionable, but I don't particularly care. :rolleyes:

16. scootaru macrumors 6502

I really wouldn't call an editorial journalism.

17. atomicbatteries thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the point is simply looking forward to the day, whenever it comes, to when new cellular devices are made from 100% recycled material whether from old phones or old computers.

If any company is in a position to do that I would think Apple would be and it would not surprise me if that was already on their to do list.

18. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 will be my 5th phone in 7 years. Not to bad! lol

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

We get it. You get all your news from Fox. We get it.

20. Gigzz macrumors regular

patheticteabaggersayswhat

21. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm behind the curve, I've only have 5 phones in ten years. iPhone 4 will make 6.

22. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

The very term "tea bagger" is deragatory. And the people who use that term are ****ing idiots because they don't understand US history, about the first tea bag revolution.

23. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

And the iPhone 4 will be my second phone in two years. It's gonna be great to have a cell phone with some balls now.

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist