NY vacation was fantastic, What I did. "3 day NY vacation, what to do?"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lofight, May 5, 2008.

1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Regarding to this thread, where I asked fellow Macrumor members about things I must go visit in NY. Here is what I did, and what I found about it.

I arrived in NY around 12 pm, after having a nice flight with Jetairways from Brussels. Like on all long flights, there was a tv-screen with Hollywood and Bollywood (Jetairways is a Indian company) films. Including new releases that I enjoyed.

We (Dad and me) first went to Times Square. It was amazing! The posters are so big! There was a very big Jimi Hendrix poster, and me as big Hendrix fan, I just needed to get a picture of it:
    [​IMG]

We walked through Times Square, direction Apple (Cube) Store on fifth ave. Once there we first saw some breakdance (hiphop) dancing. And offcourse gave some money. On the outside I expected the Cube to be bigger, but once inside it couldn't get better. So Big!! And so many people. I first when to the iphone, because that's the only apple product i hadn't seen yet. I played with it, and even managed to send a sms to my mom. She then called me on the iphone (I could sms, but not phone?) and we talked a little. My dad bought a rubber case from Incase for his itouch and we left.

Walked fifth avenue, and bought some clothes in H&M. We then went to Hard Rock Café. We had to wait some time, but there were many items. Once in the restaurant, the music was a bit too loud, but it was great to see all thoose valuable items.

We then went with the subway to our hotel, Newton, at Broadway 2528. It is a great hotel, with one of the best costumer service.

I realy wanted to try Starbucks, so we did. The first time I think I took a caramel machiat(t)o medium size (which was way too big), and a apple fritter (+- 450 calories) and something else (can't remember). It was way too much.

After that we immediately went to the American Museum of Natural History. It was big, fascinating and nice. We also watched the film about collisions in the Rose Center. We then took off to the Central park, and got something to eat in the Boat house. Also very nice!

We then went to Macy's with a cab. Macy's was a big dissapointment. We walked through the whole store, and there was nothing interesting. My dad did buy a éthon radio, a survival radio that works with solar-energy, winding and has a flashlight. We had eaten too much, so we just bought a Ben & Jerry's but couldn't eat it fully.

Saturday, we went to The Statue of Liberty, after again drinking and eating in Starbucks. The queue was big! But behind us it was minimum 4 times bigger! We got on the third or forth boat and came back round 2 PM.

We then briefly went to Wall street, but didn't go to Ground Zero :eek:. We took a subway to NoHo, and found lot's of nice shops. There was a big iPod poster:
    [​IMG]

As the sky became darker, we moved our feets to Little Italy. We there asked a local fireman where the restaurants are. We followed his directions and he advised us Da Nico. We followed his directions, and came in a very busy street, full of restaurants. All the nice ones where full, but eventually we saw Da Nico, and there was place. It is a very good restaurant! All the obers are real Italians. We then went back to the hotel.

The final day was reserved for The Empire State Building, but it didn't seem to good, with very misty weather. After starbucks, we entered The Empire State Building, where they said there was "zero visibility". They advised to wait, so we did untill we saw the mist going away. We went inside, no queueing, and it was great. Still some mist, we could see 2 mile.

After that, we went to Rockefeller center and enjoyed the sun, with an ice cream. Took our flight back, and arrived. Now being very tired.

All these places except Macy's, were fantastic! It was a great holiday. I want to thank the macrumor members who advised nice places, in the other thread.

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

sounds like a nice trip, Im glad you enjoyed us;)

I still recommend people to go to 125th street in Harlem, it is so cool there:cool:

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Glad you enjoyed your trip. :) I know I would give almost anything to see Washington D.C and NYC again.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Funny thing is, the only thing I want to know about the trip is: Was Starbucks the great pleasure you thought it would be? ;)

5. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

It was! Great. I think we went 7 times, I took some espresso's and frappucino's. I don't remember all the names of what I took, but it was delicious.

6. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

What's cool about it? What's to see up there? :)

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

adam clayton building where bill clinton's office is... great people watching, shopping, street music, appollo theater, shops, history, etc etc etc

8. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

+1 on that.

It definitely puts the City into perspective to see different neighborhoods and to see how people interact with one another...

If anyone here has the time, I recommend walking around the entire island of Manhattan. It's a very humbling experience - you get to see all types of people and neighborhoods, as well as eat all different kinds of food!

Although it took a grudging 14 hours to walk around the entire island, I wouldn't trade that memorable walk for anything!

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Cool. Thanks for the comments. Everytime I get back I try to see at least one different part of the island. Just making notes for my next trip now. :)

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

one of the local in the know things to do is taking the M5 bus from the village all the way up to washington heights. For 2 dollars you get an amazing view of the entire riverside park. get off and walk the park for a while, go up to the heights and walk around a very cool dominican neighborhood, take the M5 back down and walk through columbia university campus at 116th street over to cathedral of st john the divine... and stop at the Hungarian Pastry shop on 111 and amsterdam... great coffee, cookies and nice people...

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

oh! and almost forgot about the fallafel and hummus sandwich at broadway au lait!!! a must have... great coffee there too... 122 and broadway