NY Wedding Venue Loses Appeal To Refuse Serving Same-Sex Couples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 15, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

NY values. **** you, Ted Cruz.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/01/15/3739998/liberty-ridge-appeal/

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sometimes courts make decisions that are wrong. Unfortunately they shouldn't be surprised as you don't have the freedom to practice your religion in this country if you own a business.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

What religion can't be practiced? What religion promotes discrimination?

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Perhaps then the solution is to practice one's religion outside of one's public business.

5. dec., Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

dec. Suspended

dec.

In the best case these rulings will help future potential business owners to make smart decisions when it comes to their career choices in the sense of "am I mentally able to serve the public or does my mythology cripple my ability to serve the public without discriminating certain members?". It's not like same-sex marriage will go away anytime soon.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2016 ---
    Poor, poor Christapo* isn't allowed to discriminate anymore :) .

(*just sticking to the theme that was introduced with the illustration above ;) )

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Perfect analogy ... provided one substitutes a piece of paper for the club, and it being handed to someone instead of pounded one their head.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Since when does a business owner give up their rights to go to church?

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is so silly all they had to do was say no we are full no not at this time and keep their mouths shut about the couple being gay. it is really pretty simple. a business has the right to refuse anyone as long as you don't shut something about how you hate them.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

The penalties are lopsided, reminiscent of those draconian Rockefeller laws. The message is that the government will bring about your personal and professional financial ruin if you don't help celebrate homosexual marriage.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here. I fixed it for you ...

bakeThecake_inReality.gif
    And the answer to that question for a number of people is clearly "No".

They just aren't cut out for it.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Good riddance. If you don't want to serve the public, don't open a public business.

12. thermodynamic, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Jefferson. State. Church. Separation. Of. **

Slave owning aside, he had some good points about what makes good business. Want money? Then discriminating against customers you might not agree with only serves to reduce income. Not very bright a concept, is it?

Worse, think of other religions and once they cry the same things as "persecuted" Christians. It's a real slopbucket just waiting to stain the bathroom walls. Unless someone is anti-constitutional enough to propose an "official religion", which will probably be someone from the hijacked GOP...

** (or at least before Texas lawmakers decided Jefferson should be removed from school history textbooks... can't change the truth if the real truth is still available for people to see, right?)
    The laws of the land and Constitution have a fair amount to say about what businesses can do.

But if these people want to discriminate, maybe they'd be better off to find niche audiences instead of steamrollering over general, lowest common denominator ones? The market should be big enough to let niche groups make a living too, since it's now global and everything. I don't mind catering a business to people whose beliefs I might not agree with. They're free to live as long as they don't try to F others over, because others exist to not F them over.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Religion should never come between you and making money.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It goes both ways. I mean, GLBT people have existed as long as Christianity, if not longer, and they got to be beaten by Christians for the bulk of that time period. If it's the other way around, oh only now it's persecution?

Maybe there's a bigger issue, apart from blind irony to those that oppress, going on, hmm?

Two sides to every coin. Funny how one side refuses to look at the other. It'd be nice if GLBT people - or people merely perceived to be but are really flaming heterosexuals - were beaten with a piece of paper instead of a club, fist, tire iron, etc...
    Apart from "thou shalt not steal", "thou shalt not lie", "thou shalt not covet", "thou shalt not kill"... nobody's perfect... :D

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I can make bank without lying, stealing, and killing. Hell, I could probably make it without coveting that new girl in accounting, you know the one with the brown lipstick who wears the tight skirts and the black stockings with the lines down the back? Yea, her! What's with the flats, though? Who dresses like that and wears sensible shoes? Hey I saw her over by the water cooler yesterday so I walker over...

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

The boss is calling you to his office it does not look good.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most people who are religious because they actually beleive it rather than because their parents were religious still follow that religion even when they aren't at church. If it doesn't affect how you live your life there isn't much point to it.

18. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah just like that pesky Civl Rights Act that allows the government to bring about your personal and professional financial ruin if you don't help celebrate racial integration. :mad::mad::mad:

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to serve someone whose lifestyle and interests don't match up to your own. Providing the venue for a gay couple's wedding doesn't mean anything except that the biz made some bucks. Take a page from some other religions and hire someone to fill in on that day if it seems troublesome to be on the site personally.

I am getting really, really tired of the religious right's reservations about conducting life in the presence of people who are not just like them down to the last pile of stones ready to throw through their glass front doors. Why don't they go back where they came from? ;)

Respecting other people's constitutional rights isn't a novelty in the USA, so objectors should get over it and find someplace else to live besides the courthouse steps every other week. I respect their right to worship as they please but not their wish to jam their sectarian beliefs into the lives of others. We are a secular nation, not a theocracy.

For all the good that religions have created by imparting literacy where otherwise education has not been not an option, there seems too much crossing the line into sectarian indoctrinations that don't serve the person or the planet in modern life.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That doesn't give you the right to discriminate. We went through this in the 60's remember.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

In the 70s I interviewed for a tech position in the garment district in NYC, where many businesses are owned and operated by Jews. The programming manager in the IT department apparently wished to make it very clear he was an exception, for on his desk he had a fairly large plaque that announced "Jesus is Lord."

To this day I have no idea whether he felt intimidated by his colleagues or the ambience of the district in general, or if he was witnessing, or was advertising he was ready to proselytize if you were interested, or what. Anyway it made me very uncomfortable; he may have meant it for himself, or not, but it came across as a chip-on-shoulder kind of thing to me.

I did want the systems analyst job there, and was offered it, but eventually declined. That desk plaque was the only reason I didn't take the job. It wasn't discriminatory, I guess. It was strange that I didn't feel like I was made "other" by the guys wearing yarmulkes, only by a guy whose desk ornament proclaimed his own religion, which is also mine.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Man, 70s tech in the garment district. Were they writing Cobol for time-share mainframes or minis? They didn't have a programming manager just for some TRS-80s or Apple IIs, did they?

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

No, and I believe the programmers there were coding for minis. It was mostly batch stuff for inventory maintenance and reporting, nothing real time. They sold knit sportswear shirts and assorted other casual clothing. I had jobs in midtown where the programmers wrote for mainframes on site, and one hedge fund had timeshare to mainframes in Connecticut. Most of that was COBOL. Some stuff in Wall Street was for minis and used Fortran or assembler but one package we tweaked was coded in some proprietary thing based on octal. I have to say from the mid-80s forward were more fun. :)

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not wanting to participate in something you disagree with, in this case a gay wedding is not discrimination. They don't offer rentals for gay weddings, it's just like a Jewish deli not selling a pork sandwich, they aren't discriminating against people who eat pork by not selling you one, they just don't offer it.