NYC 5s Launch Day Store/Time Suggestions...

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by macboots, Sep 13, 2013.

1. macboots macrumors newbie

Hi,

Will be in manhattan from thursday 19th to saturday 20th of sept. Want to buy a 5s, which store would you guys suggest me to go to? Thinking about going there at am time, really want to get a hold on one since I'll be in the US for those days only (lucky me).

Thanks for the advice,
    Sergio

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

They are all going to be busy, so you won't avoid the crowds. But I'd recommend going to the Grand Central store instead of the one on 5th Avenue.

3. macboots thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man! Will go and line up at that store :D

4. xolan99 macrumors regular

The 5th Ave Store will be the most busiest - however they almost never sell out on Day One no matter how many people so you're almost guaranteed to get one on Day One there.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I was thinking about going to the 14th Street or Soho store. Alternatively, I'm thinking about going out to Long Island instead. Not sure what to do.

6. macboots, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

macboots thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm trying to figure which one would be the best. Have two friends back home breaking my balls to bring them phones as well... gotta buy 3. I know there is a 2 limit, so think i'll have to run from one store to the other to do the line again

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What's your rational for recommending Grand Central? Lining up in the subway tunnel is pretty miserable, IMO. Yes, I did line up there last year, and will line up there again if I ever decide to line up for another Apple product, but that's because Grand Central is close to my work. I much prefer lining up in the open air at Fifth Avenue (well, as long as it's not raining!).

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You realize you might miss doing stuff in NY if you decide to make lines since people will prob be making lines since at least thursday night.

9. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

10. Phillyphil0302 macrumors member

5th ave...went there saturday night last year for the 5 and was able to pick up slate 32gig no problem.

11. bgiaach macrumors member

NYC 5s Launch Day Store/Time Suggestions...

A question to all my NYC brothers and sisters.

If you're planning on waiting in line on launch day what store/time would you suggest. I live in Brooklyn so for me I either haul it up to Chelsea or Grand Central at 4am or go to a Verizon store in Brooklyn and just hope they have the one I want in stock.

Honestly, I'd rather pre-order it but I know that with limited supplies it could take weeks and, in my case, broken iPhone 4 means I'd like to get one asap.

What do you guys think?

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

13. bgiaach macrumors member

Well in that case, what's the earliest time you can line up at the Grand Central store? Anyone who's done that before know?

14. ABC5S, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

Attached Files:

15. bgiaach macrumors member

thing is, the grand central mall (where the apple store is) closes at 2am and opens ever day at 530am meaning people can't really line up days in advance like other brick and mortar stores.

16. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

no matter how early, I bet you won't be the first so just follow the crowd at whatever time you get there. no one can really answer that question.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Last year we got to Grand Central around 7:30 on launch day for the 5, and everyone who showed up around then were able to get the model/color they wanted. Not sure if that is going to hold for this year or not, but yeah, that was how it was last year.

18. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

thanks. I could.go there on the way to work. do you think id be done with the purchase by 10 if I got there at 7:30? I want to get a 32gb but if stuck would go up to 64gb. the resale value increases so in the end it doesn't really cost 100$ to make that increase.

19. user-name-here macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17893856&postcount=31

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

We just took half a day off from work and told everyone we won't be in until after noon, so my recollection is hazy as to exactly when we got out. I do remember we had time to eat late breakfast and still made it to the office by noon. So 11, definitely. 10, iffy.

21. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Thanks. 11 is okay. I could make that work.

----------

Well at least you probably get $25 back of your $100 spent. Not great, but it is something. And you get "no worries" on space for the year or two you own the phone.

22. bgiaach macrumors member

I'm still wondering how's best to get to Grand Central early on launch day. If I take the train and arrive before 530am, I'll be stuck underground in the subway terminal waiting until they unlock the gates to the mall. Or I just stay above ground and walk there and wait outside until it opens... I just wish I knew what someone is the past has done.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just stopped by Grand Central and talked to a sales guy who was there last year. He told us that people started showing up the night before, but were moved out when the mall closed at 2:30. Presumably, they gathered somewhere outside to wait from 2:30 until they were let back in at 5:30. If you are determined to get there before 5:30, I'd just make my way above ground and see if I can locate the waiting group. If not, just wait at one of the entrances close to the Apple store -- perhaps the one right under the bridge on 42. Be much better to be in the open air than cooped up underground. Although, I think if you got there between 5:30 and 6:00, you'll be fine. Not that anything is written in stone, but the sales guy thought that anyone lining up on the first day should have no problem getting hold of a phone. It's the days and weeks after that when stock is short and unpredictable.

24. bgiaach macrumors member

Yeah I heard about people waiting the night before but as soon as the mall closed they got stuck outside and lost their place in line. Then some guy shows up at 530 and strolls right to the front of the designated apple line

I've never waited in line for an apple product. I lucked out last year for the iPad 3 and just strolled in to the Chelsea store but I've been using an iPhone 4 for almost 3 years now and it's high time I get a new device ha.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

From a 4, the 5S would definitely be a great upgrade!

First time I ever waited in line for any product was for the first iPad. We got fold-up chairs and got in line at fifth avenue -- that was before Grand Central opened. I still think 5th Ave is the best place to wait in line, but Grand Central is just so close to our office.

This and that, so almost every year since the first iPad, we end up waiting in line at least once for either an iPad or iPhone... I think once you start, it's hard to stop! :p

Funniest thing that ever happened to us is that one year we were waiting in line at 5th Ave, then at the next keynote, they showed a picture of people waiting in line, and we were in that picture! It was a surreal moment when I recognized myself on the big screen behind Scott Forestall. Heh.