NYC Comedy Fest Charges Straight White Men More In Push For Gender Equality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Mar 14, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Does this mean I can now charge more for a rainbow coloured wedding cake? How progressive are these people!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/25/cinder-block-comedy-festival/

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/24/comedy-festival-will-charge-white-men-more-to-fight-the-wage-gap/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...men-more-than-lbgt-women-and-people-of-color/

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Gotta love the tolerance and diversity that the left wants to create.

3. zin macrumors 6502

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Wonder if you can sue them for discrimination :p

things are simple, don't go.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Now, that's some funny **** in the OP.

I remember an off Broadway show about Nuns and I gave the wrong answer to a question. Nun came over, off the stage, and insisted I hand over a dollar as punishment.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Can't you already do that? You can charge whatever prices you want for the products. That's not the same as charging different classes of people different prices for the same product.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, this group can exclude hiring/doing business with white men, but a baker can't refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding. Seems fair to me.:rolleyes:

8. zin macrumors 6502

That's not what I said.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's not just charging different, they are also hiring different.

10. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Ok, so gay wedding cakes will all cost 50K.

Discrimination is discrimination, I really don't care what a persons intentions are.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you can justify the price on the gay cake by saying that as opposed to the straight cake, the gay cake happens to be fabulous :D

12. zin macrumors 6502

I already said earlier in this thread that the article sounds like illegal discrimination. I'm just pointing out that altering prices based on the product is something businesses already do (that's basically the whole premise of commerce). Altering them based on the class of the customer is not. If you want to charge 10% more for a rainbow cake go ahead.

What exactly is a gay wedding cake? How is it different to a straight wedding cake? You are altering the price based on the customer, not the cake. I was merely making that distinction. Nothing prevents you from charging more for a rainbow cake as of right now.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. zin macrumors 6502

If the bakery offers figurines such as that, then I don't see how putting two on the cake instead of one changes what is being provided.

I'm almost certain bakeries don't routinely offer the second cake. But I'll give you that one.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am sending the second cake to Rens, but I'll have to be the model to save on cash :p

anyways, don't see why cakes even entered the equation since we are talking hiring & admission prices . I still say just don't buy the tickets & be done with it. it's not a particular service people "need", just comedy.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

A cake that prefers to have sex with other cakes of the same gender.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

18. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Those are all different products, if you want to save money buy the product marketed towards men.

http://www.gillettevenus.com/en-us/how-to-shave/hair-removal-methods/dont-share-his-razor

Women go to the doctor more often so it costs more, men pay more for auto insurance because they are a higher risk.

As for dry cleaning, mens shirts are easier to dry clean as the process is more automated.

19. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

well technically...only black people can make fun of black people, women women, hispanics hispanics, etc and not have it become a thing...so this saves some legal headaches I guess.

But seriously...are the organizers so lazy if by chance they get too many applications they can't sit down, watch the applicants bits (if no video submitted I am sure youtube has something) and pick the x slots they have based on merit.

If by chance no TG/TS makes the cut...so be it. Bad comedy is bad comedy. Its not like the other option is any better. If they truly suck they will be the very very early opener..when no one is there like most festival shows. The better ones get the stage time when, well...., people are actually there. Gets the we care checkmark I guess doing this. Halfassed way to do if you ask me though.

Unless festival have changed in the US at any rate.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Some of those examples are silly, because women could easily just buy the moisturizer marketed at men. If I wanted to buy such a thing and both contained the same ingredients, I would go with the cheaper one. They often use stupid scents in things like that and shampoo to dissuade such purchasing habits.

The comedy thing is dumb though. LGBTQ people make up a small percentage of the overall population. Organizers should consider ways to ensure those people feel welcome, but the silly pandering is just a different type of tokenization. It's kind of like "all female staff". It doesn't make them any better than anyplace else unless other work environments are actually hostile to women.

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Not sure why they decided to go with the approach of charging white straight guys more when they could have easily accomplished the same thing by just giving members of the LGBT community a discount and it would have appeared much less controversial.

Perhaps creating a controversy was the underlying objective.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure you could sue if you are easily offended. However people are way too sue happy, so it's probably a better idea to do as you say and not go. Let them live in their own little imaginary world.

23. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Would you call a gay couple calling up every cake bakery until they find one that will not make a cake for a gay wedding easily offended as well?

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably, although if they are looking for someone to sue when there are other people who will provide the service they are trying to create problems and aren't necessarily easily offended.

25. dec. Suspended

dec.

How often did that happen?

On topic: I can see why they'd like to attract minorities if they want to assure a diversity in their line-up, but I don't think this is the right way to handle it - and I've ready plenty of articles where people were criticizing the festival management for that approach. So no, it's not like this is a "THEY all demand this and that but then do otherwise", as much as certain people would like to make it appear that way :) .