NYC man dies after random, possibly racially motivated, attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by applesith, Sep 11, 2013.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57602060-504083/jeffrey-babbitt-update-nyc-man-dies-after-random-possibly-racially-motivated-attack/

It's interesting how the above as well as the two teens who beat 88-year old WWII vet, Delbert Belton, to death fly under the radar. Why aren't these stories getting the same attention as the Zimmerman story?

Also, why are nearly all the media outlets referring to the Babbitt death as possibly racially motivated when the guy who did it said it was because he was white?

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I never understood why we need a distinction when someone of an opposite race does something like this to someone that it may carry more weight then if someone of the same race did the same thing. Both instances are hateful and should be treated the same.

3. kapolani macrumors regular

Where's Jackson and Sharpton?

No where to be seen...

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Don't you know, black people can't be racists.[/sarcasm]

Lets not forget Christopher Lane.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/justice/australia-student-killed-oklahoma/index.html

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me more like a mental illness motivated attack. <shrug>

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It certainly goes both ways, wouldn't you say? Let's not forget about Missing White Woman Syndrome

Who the heck knows why some things get more attention than others?

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why do you guys keep asking the same question, when you obviously don't care about the answer? For the millionth time, stop comparing ever crime to the outage over Zimmerman and Martin. The difference is quite obvious: there was no arrest and trial until people started protesting. In all the cases you guys keep bringing up, there has always been an arrest. Keep ignoring that fact...

8. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I'm not comparing every crime to Zimmerman. It's more about the outrage and presence of the race card in the Zimmerman story. So many try to play it as a hate crime. Even the president had to get race involved when he commented on it and Martin looking like his son.

A mentioned by someone above, you never see black leaders commenting on this kind of conduct when those committing the crime are black.

9. kapolani macrumors regular

They do...

I think: "frowned upon," was the words he used.

He's definitely not going to be marching, though.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's another difference: Zimmerman didn't break the law.

Let me restate it in a less argumentative way: police investigated Zimmerman and found no evidence of a crime. As such, they declined to arrest him.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Obviously someone disagreed with you since he was finally arrested and had his day in court.

----------

If black leaders held a rally or even just commented on every crime committed by a black man, they wouldn't have much time for anything else.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Really? So what did they arrest him later for? Laughs?

13. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Picking your nose in public is frowned upon. These are incidences of killing for the hell of it.

I'm not expecting a giant ordeal such as a march from leaders in the black community. They only devote their energies and efforts to situations where blacks are the victim or the ones killed. That's the only time they really get involved or seem to care. They don't make much of an effort to highlight good examples or acts in the black community.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Now that's an excellent point. I think it's beyond ridiculous for people to ask why black leaders only come out to support black victims, where are they when a white kids gets beat up by a bunch if black kids, because they are leaders for a specific community, of course, they focus on black injustices. But why do they always seem to appear when it's a social injustice? Where's the encouragement of the good side of the black community, the praise for those who do well? Seems like its a victim-only focus when a positive view and encouragement of doing well can help so much more. Maybe it's just the old if it bleeds, it leads me mentality and the media just focuses on the negative stories.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The NYC mayoral elections have been filled with themes of income inequality, racial injustice (connected with stop and frisk), and general class struggle. I can't help but wonder if this might have fueled the anger behind this attack. It could also be a simple case of a mentally ill guy lashing out.

16. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

That is not an excuse to beat someone to death completely unprovoked. Oh the excuses!

17. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

An explanation is now an excuse? I didn't read that as "let's not do anything about this", but a "let's see what caused it" sort of thing. Then we can do something about the causes to try to prevent something like that from happening again.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Why the snap to judgment? I wasn't saying this was an excuse for what the guy did.

Thank you. Exactly.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Going by the latest statistics (2010, CDC) there are on average ~44.5 murders every day in the United States.

Why do only a handful of those murders capture the attention of the media and become major stories like the Martin/Zimmerman case?

Why aren't all murder cases given equal treatment in the news?

Is that a realistic expectation?

20. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

There's something weird that I haven't responded to before now. There seems to be this weird idea that Shapton, Jackson, and so forth need to come out and denounce every time an African American does a crime in the same way that every time a follower of Islam does a crime the leaders of that community are expected to denounce it.

:|

Does anyone else find that silly?

21. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I meant it more as a justification, not as an excuse. As if the mayor race would really cause some one to lash out and attack a random person because they are white?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actually, I find it a bit racist.

23. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

No one us saying they need to address every event.

24. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Except he isn't even justifying it. He's trying to explain a seemingly random attack.

Could you elaborate?

----------

Then what? How would you decide what they do and do not address?

25. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Maybe find positive things that blacks do and have done instead of focusing just situations where they are victims.