NYC Mayor to sit out of St Patrick's Day Parade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skottichan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Good for him. I like the way he handles himself. I saw him asked about raising the minimum wage and its effect on businesses. His response was, if we're going to subsidize businesses, we can demand they pay a living wage.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I don't feel anything about this either way. The parade's purpose is mainly about irish pride. I personally wouldn't care if any gay groups were included in the march, but I don't think it's bias not to disallow it. They probably don't want to distract from the theme of the parade.

4. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Maybe he can pop over to Dublin for our parade. Pretty sure people can march with pro gay signage here.

5. skottichan thread starter macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Because there are no gay people of Irish descent.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not that the staunch Irish Catholics acknowledge anyway. ;)

7. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

We know that no true Irishman...

And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You know I lived in New York for 12 years and never understood this Parade thing. But then I never understood the qualification placed before American when describing oneself either. You know what i mean Irish, Latino, Italian etc.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's a celebration of their heritage, with all the garbage that come with it.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Because nothing says heritage more than a 1.5 mile stretch of Fifth Avenue drenched in vomit.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

No, because the parade is not about gays. All gays are welcome, but it's not about representing gays.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are all signs to be banned?

I rest my case.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Signs of what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's basically Irish themed and civil servants marching.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does this help?

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Didn't answer the question at all. What groups are participating in the march besides those of Irish pride and civil servants? Since you mentioned "are all signs to be banned"

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This debate with the St. Patrick's Day parade organizers has been going on for years. Plenty of groups and organizations carry signs in the parade, (that aren't civil servants). Politicians, religious organizations, schools, charities all march. Have you never been to a parade?

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have no idea, but the fact that LGBT signs have been singled out lends me to believe that other signs have been/might be present.

Do you know anything of signage during the parade???

EDIT: Thank you Moyank24. We bumped uglies there.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Politicians can be labeled as civil servants. Schools, charities, and religion also fall into serving the people. Are there any race based groups marching, any anti or pro choice groups, any feminist groups?

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I don't know. Why don't you do your own research? Maybe you should start by going to the parade and seeing for yourself. They've been discriminating against gay groups for years. This is old news. :rolleyes:

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You don't know, but yet you claim bias. That's the problem right there. :cool:

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You missed my sarcasm. I've been to that parade and even marched in it a few times with my high school. There are plenty of organizations that are represented (I'm certainly not going to rate them based on your "labels"). If you want specifics, go find them yourself. It won't be too difficult.

The organizers have specifically singled out LGBT organizations because they believe it's a private, religious event. How is singling out a group of people because you don't "agree with their lifestyle" not bias?

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cool.

Allowing children to learn about and celebrate two Muslim holidays.

How broad-minded and progressive.

24. dec. Suspended

dec.

I don't find anything progressive about it. Schools always have been closing down for religious holidays.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I would think anyone who claims bias would be more than happy to show the example vs saying "go find them yourself". :confused:

----------

Mostly Christian and Jewish holidays though.