NYC People....what time to camp out for the 5th ave store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamKamil, Jun 16, 2010.

1. iamKamil macrumors member

iamKamil

My brother missed the boat on ordering so he's thinking about camping out in front of the 5th Ave store in NYC. What time should he get there in order for him to be guaranteed a phone? From what I've read, the stores will start to sell iPhones at 7AM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. chromey macrumors member

3. Fidget08 macrumors regular

Fidget08

4. Jnyce macrumors regular

go to soho should be less of a crowd there... ( SHOULD )....5th ave store since it is a flagship store...I would say ummmm monday night:D

5. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

We have 4 other stores here. .. changes are MOSTLY the 5th ave store will be filled with tourist. Last year a guy came all the way from L.A, JUST so he can have it right away, then went back home to Cali. (That was retarded in my opinion)

But in all honestly NYC people/visitors line up starting like Sunday night/Monday Morning. Seriously. Good Luck.

6. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    ASAP, theres always the one or two idiots that start a week early, but if you start around tuesday or wednesday, youll be fine.

7. bub macrumors member

Also keep in mind that people line up to sell their spots on eBay, especially at the 5th ave store. They'll be out at least 24 hours in advance.

8. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Ha. Maybe to be the first 20 in line. I waited at 5th avenue for the 3GS. No reservation. I got there 6 hours before and even though the line was long there were plenty. If you do do the 5th Ave store, my bet is they will have over 1000 for FcFs. He does not have to go crazy. Bring a folding chair, a six pack and a book and your fine at 12,1am.

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I think this time might be a little different considering they sold 10x the number of 3Gs's and were utterly unprepared for the demand. It's most likely too late to change anything they had in the works now so what was going to be distributed to the stores will likely be the same amount. If I were you I would get there 24-48 hours in advance for the 5th avenus store, it's the flagship of flagships. Plus, bring 2 six packs instead of one, then even if you don't get one everything will be ok.

10. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Since it's a work day I'm still weighing whether or not I want to camp out in the morning before work. What's up with the Thursday launch anyway??

I've been lining up at the SoHo store at 4-5AM for the iPhone 3G and iPad launches. Always a good time.

11. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I ordered online, but I did so from AT&T, so now I'm uncertain. I wouldn't mind a week delay, but each day it seems the shipment date is getting later. If AT&T effs up my order (I hope not), then I may be a camper after all.

I'm a freelancer, so I can hang out whenever with my iPad, but I'd likely go to the 14th St. location. I think the best way is to take a pal so that you can alternate restroom breaks.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Where can I rent such a "pal"?

13. ipodcolor macrumors member

Best chance to get an iPhone 4 would probably be West Side Store. Go at 5 30 am.

14. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

A co-worker or fellow iPhone enthusiast friend :D

I don't understand how people camp out otherwise for 12+ hours.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Alas, got no pal with an iPhone.

What I usually do is ask the person behind me: "Would you be so kind to hold my spot while I go take a piss?"