Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
I was just wondering if anyone has this issue? Or is it normal?
(Some kind of stuff coming out of the bottom of the band)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,320

choreographics

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Berlin, Germany
I was just wondering if anyone has this issue? Or is it normal?
(Some kind of stuff coming out of the bottom of the band)

The band is made of woven nylon, so I would say it's normal if it stays within reasonable bounds.
At least you have no problem using the band, bought 4 and returned 3 because the band doesn't lock in place on my watch.

Jeremy12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
The band is made of woven nylon, so I would say it's normal if it stays within reasonable bounds.
At least you have no problem using the band, bought 4 and returned 3 because the band doesn't lock in place on my watch.
The shorter part of the band is hard to slide in and out compared to the longer bit for some reason

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I had the black band with the same issue of fibers like that. I returned it because it was also very difficult to install. The Royal Blue that I have now has none of the fiber issues.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've had both the black and pearl nylon bands for several weeks now and have no issue with either yet. Both slide into the watch connectors smoothly, lock in place securely, and release when I push the button - all as advertised and expected. I have not noticed any fiber shedding at this point, either... but will definitely be watching for it.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
My band has been fraying around the holes and sides where the keeper rubs along the band.

Not sure if I should call apple about it.

My friend says to take a lighter to it, but I don't know about that.

Reactions: Shark5150

Jeremy12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
EDIT:
Seems to be falling apart on the sides ??
(The side of the band)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Thought you said you were going to take it back? If it bugs you this much, just take it back and save yourself the worry/headache. My royal blue doesn't look like that, but then again, it's only a few days old.

Jeremy12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Thought you said you were going to take it back? If it bugs you this much, just take it back and save yourself the worry/headache. My royal blue doesn't look like that, but then again, it's only a few days old.
Just wondering if anyone is having this issue?
And I got mine like 3 week ago

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
[doublepost=1462045186][/doublepost]
I think the problem is with the keeper rubbing along the band but $70 for a band I would expect it not to fray so easily.
I bought the gold apple watch sport with royal blue woven nylon a month ago, and although it didn't fray as bad as yours, it definitely frays on the edges of the band as well as around the hole that I clipped my buckle on, the nylon protrudes a bit. I guess it's a normal wear & tear for woven nylon products but yea it's quite annoying to see.

Jeremy12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
I bought the gold apple watch sport with royal blue woven nylon a month ago, and although it didn't fray as bad as yours, it definitely frays on the edges of the band as well as around the hole that I clipped my buckle on, the nylon protrudes a bit. I guess it's a normal wear & tear for woven nylon products but yea it's quite annoying to see.
Pics ?

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I have a zulu third party nylon band and nylon is not quite like other fabric fibers, being plastic. Typically people will cut nylon threads and seal with the flame of a lighter. I had one thread on my zulu band where the seam was near the watch poking into me, can be quite sharp and annoying, and needed to melt that sharp point down.

Same technique goes for those nylon drawstrings on blinds. You cut them to size and seal with a flame. Even the looped cords...cut to length and hold the two ends together while fusing with heat. Melts together. I imagine for the Woven bands they punch holes in nylon weave for the strap holes and run a heated wire or rod through it to seal all those cut ends.

I think it really is part of the nature of nylon weave to expect some fraying with the band being rubbed against surfaces. Kind of like you have to expect leathers to absorb oils from your skin or stainless steel to get scratches. You can deal with the fraying yourself or maybe it's not something you want to bother with but I expect no matter how you wear a nylon band you are going to see fraying over time. I think Apple states there are 400 threads used? so they are much finer and numerous than the nylon threads on my zulu band.

As for the lighter, you want to do a quick pass as needed. And it is melting plastic so don't touch until it cools off.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.