NYPD: Black Teens Must Stay Out Of White Neighborhood Unless Being Productive

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Oct 1, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Seems as though we as a nation need to bring the police down a notch or two. I'm sure this message isn't popular with law enforcement officials (and certain forum members), but its sort of past the point where their opinions matter. We have serious issues, let's acknowledge them.

Link

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

New York City? Hold on, I thought that was the picture of civility. Are you sure that this story wasn't actually in a southern city?

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah yeah yeah, spare us your usual predictable remarks. Let's discuss the actual incident here.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he somewhat has a point. what color was the officer?

5. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh yes. Let's ignore ya know, the actual issue on hand.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't see why that matters. It's just as bad if it's a black officer stereotyping black youth, if not worse. The article doesn't say his name, so it's hard to determine what his race might be.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

its not JUST black teens, if i stereotype the cop would have no issue kicking out hispanic kids as well

----------

well, can a black cop be racist? or just vigilant? :eek:

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I know Park Slope well. It's recently become a place full of rich snobs(mostly transplants) who act like they are wealthier than they actually are. There is about three housing projects in Park Slope. Park Slope is between Downtown/Fort Greene and Sunset neighborhoods. Those areas are very diverse with the exception for the backstreets of Park Slope. I wouldn't even call Park Slope a white neighborhood, it's just that whites have bought out the most of the brownstone homes in that area. There is enough businesses, Subway/Bus stops, and Prospect Park which is huge, that seeing people of all races walking around day or night is not uncommon.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think its a mistake to characterize the entire Police Department, based on the actions of a single officer in one incident.

The officers words may very well have been racist, but without knowing more about the context of what actually happened, what was said, and what information the officer concerned may - or may not - have had access to; its all but impossible to draw any real conclusions from this.

Good thing: No shots were fired; no arrests were made; and no crime appears to have taken place.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Loitering is the act of remaining in a particular public place for a protracted time without an apparent purpose. Under certain circumstances, it is illegal in various jurisdictions.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In a private business, perhaps; in public, it is not.

BL.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Not so. Follow the link.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Notice how the article says that the kids were walking along the sidewalk. That does not fit with any reasonable definition of "loitering".

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

true, but they were not arrested, simply told to leave., nothing racist about it.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If fits if you're a reasonable person. Loitering in a public place does not mean the person has to be standing still. For example:

Problem: Large numbers of juveniles between the ages of 12-17 years old were loitering in and around the downtown business district during both daytime and nighttime hours, and engaging in aberrant behavior that essentially prevented law abiding citizens from using these areas, leading to an increase in law enforcement calls for service.​

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

If it was an enclosed and/or gated private residential community, then the anti-loitering rules/laws would have the right of way here; in such a case, the cop shouting at the teens to "get out of the neighborhood" would have some legal precedence. But from the article, this doesn't sound like the case.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I agree that the racism, while likely, is unproven. The police might very well treat a group of Asian, Latino, or Caucasian teenage boys exactly the same way.

The question I have is, if this treatment applies to all teenage boys equally, (why) does that make it OK?

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Reminds me of this scene from Family Matters.

19. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It all depends on the situation. I've lived in the vicinity of high-end urban neighborhoods of Los Angeles in the past, and the local cops have no problem "throwing out" (telling them to move on) the vagrants and homeless from the posh neighborhoods that they clearly do not reside in. We're talking about small affluent districts like Brentwood, Westwood, Beverly, Venice, Sunset and West Santa Monica…. these are places where rich Hollywood stars live in, and therefore they EXPECT the LAPD to throw out (or relocate away) the homeless bums and vagrants that wander into their streets.

Is this legal for the LAPD to do? I'm not sure. But it's certainly very common practice in many cities. Los Angeles did the same thing when Pope John Paul made a high-profile visit to Los Angeles in the 1980s. The cops made all the bums "disappear" from the boulevards of Los Angeles for an entire week. Because the city did not want anyone to see the homeless bums during the Pope's televised motorcade visit.

Again, I'm not saying that the practice is "right". Although evicting loiterers in areas where they "don't belong" is a very common practice in uptown urban areas. More common than some people here think. And yes, homeless people and vagrants come in all colors, not just black.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Unless the juveniles were committing a crime, they too are law abiding citizens.

That is the flaw in your situation.

But then, surmise this: Say that I am dressed like I'm totally thugged out: Timberland boots, baggy pants with low pockets that make it appear that I'm sagging, shirt hanging out, cap on my head turned sideways. You, the LEO, tell me to get out of the posh neighborhood. I break out my ID that shows that I LIVE in that posh neighborhood.

Now what do you do?

BL.

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I've always known Park Slope to be an upper class community. Fort Greene and Sunset Park were dumps, but they've gotten pretty gentrified like many other parts of Brooklyn.

In context, Park Slope has mansions and brownstones that rival anything in Gramercy, Soho, or the Upper West Side. Bill de Blasio's place before Gracie Mansion is in Park Slope.

And this is nothing new. As a kid, all my friends were black and hispanic, and you didn't let the sun set on you when in certain areas because the cops weren't having even the slightest hint of inner city shenanigans in mostly white areas. God forbid it was someplace like Canarsie, Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst. Transit cops were especially big pains in the asses and couldn't be avoided.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Yes but it turned into a transplant neighborhood. Also the market value over there has rapidly increased to astronomical levels compared to the 80's & early 90's.

Brooklyn Heights is actually on a higher level compared to Park Slope.

That's true, things changed. And Bay Ridge is where you find the real mansions, especially past the lower avenues. That area is one of the few places in NYC where italians still make pizza.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I bet rich white kids wouldn't have been told to move on ;).

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Poor white kids might have been told to move on;)

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I live in a two bed apartment and if I had one kid then I guess they could hang out in their bedroom with a couple of friends. But if they had more friends or I had more than one kid they would be hanging out on the street as a teenager (and probably younger).

Now probably if I had two kids I'd have a bigger house - but the poor can't afford that - big houses are more expensive and more expensive to heat etc. If you don't want the poor kids on the streets perhaps the minimum wage needs to be $20+ per hour.

Personally I think I'd rather see kids playing on the streets.

----------

True.