NYT Drinking Water Expose...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There isn't really a lot of new, surprising information in this, but it does contain a wealth of data in an easily searchable database. Also it highlights a lot of disparities. For instance, I checked my current location and my last two (Grand Rapids, MI; Chicago / Cook County, IL; Gainesville, FL). Grand Rapids had the best record -- 6 substances were identified, none above proposed health limits, and well over 100 were tested for and not found. Cook County was the worst -- there were numerous over-health-limit substances, and the total number tested for was lower than GR (not that I'm saying they didn't test the most important ones). Gainesville tested fewer substances yet, and found one over health limits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/us/17water.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

You can peruse their database of test results here.

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Around here drinking water became quite a hot button topic. All you have to say to people is Walkerton and everyone knows your talking about water quality. Interestingly enough, out of the few areas of upstate New York I peeked at in the NYT links (Buffalo ~ Cyanide? :eek: ?) they were all about chemical contamination and not bacterial like the tragic events at Walkerton.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a good point... that's not the only bacterial contamination problem that's occurred (although, as I understand it, mostly the bacterial contamination controls that exist work well and are used properly).

I'm also curious about the extent to which the carbon filters in Brita pitchers and the like are able to handle the kinds of low-PPM contaminants being discussed here.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I must be lucky because living in Sacramento, CA, I've enjoyed tap water that is pretty clean all these years. :) The water quality in the San Francisco Bay Area isn't so great, though--I would go through under-sink tap water filters when I was living in Mountain View, CA at a frightening rate. :eek: