NYT Expose: Tax-exempted funds helping illegal WBank settlements

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/world/middleeast/06settle.html?ref=world

^^ Emphasis mine to clarify, I don't mean the settlements that the Israelis are subdisizing, which have been accused of violating international law or prior treaties, but rather the settlements which violate the Israelis' own laws, as they interpret them.

The Times article is fairly balanced, claiming that many of these settlements actually seem to meet the spirit of the American tax break laws. I have a hard time with this... I don't see how different this is from donating money to fronts for terrorist organizations, in which case there would not only be a tax break but there would be severe repurcussions for the Americans involved. I don't think the US should allow these kinds of donations at all, let alone with tax write-offs. I think they should be formally investigated, and if it turns out that this money was used for violence or violation of the law, then the American donors should be held accountable.

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I'm just tired of tax exempt status of religious organizations. They engage in blatantly partisan movements they should pay like everyone else.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

(snip) No need to start another big fight over this crap.

That is true. There is no country called palestine and there has never been a country called palestine and there might very well never be a country called palestine, and that would be totally ok with me.

As a matter of fact, I support absolutely anything and everything that is likely to piss off terrorists and Israel should expand it's borders and rightfully take possession of land and territory acquired in war while at the same time expelling the people who are undesirables, like the terrorists. Just throw them out, it's as simple as that. Some people have no honor and just don't know when to quit after they've lost a bunch of times. .:cool:

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That's why I deleted my post. (snip) try to take what you say and use it to support their agenda.

Well, it probably made sense for you to delete your entire post, because it's probably the first thing that you've ever written on this forum that I didn't totally disagree with.
    :D

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

EXACTLY! I knew I was out of line!

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your simple-minded barbarism is no solution to anything.

Sure it is. You may not like the solution, but it certainly is a viable solution. And I wouldn't exactly call it barbarism, I prefer to call it intelligent, common sense diplomacy when dealing with a bunch of nutjobs.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you do hate America and want its citizens to be killed in attacks. Who knew? :rolleyes:

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is not viable, nor is it a solution, nor is it intelligent, nor is it common sense, nor is it diplomacy. You are in desperate need of a new lexicon.

First of all, we're at war already and the terrorists have said so, regardless if you choose to believe this or not.

And second of all, it's the liberals who hate America, didn't you read the "fourth of July" thread? :cool:

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Fixed that for you

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Wouldn't it be more intelligent to make up your own mind whether you are at war or not, rather than let someone else make it up for you?
    I suppose that depends on how you define America. Is America a flag to be worshipped whatever it stands for, or is it a set of principles, including tolerance, fair play and equality in law?

15. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Yeah, because people who proclaim their intent to kill you because of your nationality only have your best interest in mind. I guess Great Britain would have been better off pretending Germany was not bombing them. That would have done it. I have read some dumb things in my life, but damn......

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a little different if a nation declares war on you, but please don't let reality intrude on your effort at rapier-like sarcasm. You are of course free to run scared from any individual Tom, Dick or Mahmoud who declares their hostility towards your great nation.
    The declaration of war was nothing to do with German bombing, but everything to do with an attack on an allied state. I think you might be on a bit of a sticky wicket bringing the entry into WW2 into the argument.