NYT Exposes Manipulative DOD Propaganda Racket

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Apr 20, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Ever been discussing the war with someone, and wonder how they could have their facts so skewed from the truth? Well, as it turns out, for many it may not be their fault. NYT just uncovered documents, proving an elaborate PsyOps program, between the WH and several Military TV analysts. Viewers/readers, who thought they were hearing opinions by informed retired military experts, were instead getting a carefully scripted dialog, coming directly from the WH. Needless to say, it was all in support of the war and how well it was being managed. FOX (of course) would be an obvious outlet for promoting such disinformation. However, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and numerous newspapers and periodicals were also compromised.

Our government should not be afraid of dealing honestly with us. Admittedly, this would not be the first time we have been purposefully deceived. However, we seldom learn of such a large-scale conspiracy between the WH, Pentagon and the media.

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Don't you guys read or study history ? This type of "misinformation", propaganda, whatever you want to call it has gone on in some fashion in every war.

Read your history.

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That's not a justification.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I do read my history, that is why I added, "..Admittedly, this would not be the first time we have been purposefully deceived..." However, I agree with Much Ado's comment, "That's not a justification..". It is not. Yet, I cannot recall a continuous effort in deception, perpetrated on such a large scale. This has been the norm for this entire war, starting with the lies that established the justification for it.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A Guide to 'NYT' Scoop on Pentagon's Media Propaganda

It gets worse. Still not hearing about it in the MSM though. Like the torture thing. Or Iraq. More important things to talk about I suppose. Like how brewing tea can be pleasant. I'm not kidding.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And now it's a story about airlines charging for a second bag. Still not kidding. I'm not even going to link to it, that's just dumb. I guess at least it's better than that tea story. Anyway:

Jon Soltz: The Pentagon's Spin Machine

Still nothing? Really? No torture stuff either? Almost nothing on Iraq? Come on MSM! Hoping once the Dem race is over, which is all over the media right now because tomorrow is the big day, maybe we'll talk about it. Maybe. I mean, you know, who knows. What, it could happen...

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And you think no one here reads their history? You obviously haven't been here very long. I don't care how many times it's been done, it's still wrong.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The historical precedents are irrelevant and furthermore saying "every war" is overreaching. Furthermore, there's a difference between misinformation and propaganda.

Misinformation is given to the enemy to protect the strategic and tactical position of your own forces. For instance, the use of misinformation was widespread in WWII, especially before Operation Overlord, and included not only false telegrams, but also decoy tanks and trains.

Propaganda is given to the people and is designed to promote a government's particular ideology.

So, the DoD's program is actually about propaganda and was designed to hide that the soldiers were actually carrying the White House's water. In WWII, the Office of War Information, helped to make films, documents and newspaper op-eds promoting the war, but it didn't hide the source of the information. This is what strikes me as particularly underhanded in this latest scandal.

I've read my history, too.

10. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Couldn't have said it better myself. The worst part of this administrations' propaganda campaign is how often they refer to their own propaganda information as coming from independent news sources, when they actually leaked the original info. The best example was when Cheney leaked portions of a DOD document/memo/report, saying that Hussein had nuclear weapons and was a threat, to the NYT. Then, after the NYT article was written, Cheney pointed to it saying, "Look, the NYT, the liberal-biased paper, says Hussein has WMD's and is a threat". The Bush Administration leaks information and then cites that information as being independent. That is very different than staunch propaganda, such as just repeatedly saying the Iraq War is going flawlessly. By referring to their own information as independently corroborated is blatant manipulation.

11. stevegmu macrumors regular

Of course they don't. They only get half truths from such 'sources' as Crooks and Liars and Wikipedia.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You keep telling yourself that. ;)

Of course, you don't ever post links or references, so I'm sure your sources are perfect. ;)

13. stevegmu macrumors regular

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My sincere apology, you have posted a link.

Maybe, rather than snapping at me like a junkyard dog, you could just make your point?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And you get yours from Newsmax apparently. Maybe you're missing the irony of your post though. This is about the gov putting out actual propaganda and calling it news. Or the irony that you put out the same rhetoric in your posts.

Hm, you don't work for the DOD do you, because that would explain a lot.

In another thread you bragged about never posting a link.

16. stevegmu macrumors regular

What type of reaction did you expect after you posted this?

Of course, you don't ever post links or references, so I'm sure your sources are perfect.

I more often than not post links to back up what I post.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, it's Huffington Post, but it's just regurgitated AFP in an easy to swallow capsule:

Pentagon Suspends Military Media Analysts Program
    Not that the media is doing much, even the ones who reported on it in the first place:
    Fox news though apparently is still ok with using those same people as sources.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs