NYT posts record digital subscriber gain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, May 3, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Waiting for Trump to call them failing. In PA he lashed out against them a few times - even "joking" that the paper keeps getting smaller and smaller and now it looks like a comic book.

If that's the case - I vote for Batman - and he's the Joker.

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Gotta love that if you glanced in on the Times this morning, it's reporting on the fact that fake news was briefly reported in London by one of Murdoch's tabloids, the Sun, which ran what appeared to be a filler for an obituary on Prince Philip, who, as it turns out, is not dead and merely plans to retire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/04/world/europe/buckingham-palace-meeting-uk.html

The Sun, Rupert Murdoch’s British tabloid, erroneously published an unfinished obituary of Prince Philip on its website for a few minutes on Thursday morning. The headline read: “Prince Philip dead at 95, how did the Duke of Edinburgh die, etc etc.”

“We are mortified this happened,” a Sun executive later said.

Mortified, eh? Mortified they were rushing to beat all others to the punch on the off chance of being right for once.

The NYT, like any other newspaper, does continue to seek subscriber gains, and of course loves a scoop the same as any self-respecting media outlet, but it's willing to let the Sun go first sometimes, especially when the Sun gets it wrong LOL.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Every time Trump makes a negative remark about a news outlet, they pick up customers.

I'm now a WaPo subscriber, and regular viewer of MSNBC. Thanks, Donald!

6. TonyC28, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Nice to see their rededication to their mission of reporting America and the world honestly has paid off.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

8. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Here's Recode's take on it: how the NYT saved itself? The paywall. Digital subscriptions, not ads. The chart of what's been going on in revenue from circulation vs advertising tells the story.

It has not just been Mr. Trump's antics driving that bus, either. The paper has offered some savvy permanent signup bonuses, and some temporary variants later on. There was one for awhile you could give two full-rights subscriptions to your friends or relatives, good for as long as you paid up your own sub. Later one like that but half as generous. Assorted brief windows of "half off the regular price" and so forth.

Once you subscribe to a major newspaper and start prowling around in it then you can end up realizing there's a lot of content that's a great read and quite unrelated to what I have come to think of as "the morning's disorders" on the front pages. I confess to having subscribed to the Financial Times initially because I liked their music reviews and their storied Lunch with the FT column even though I went there most frequently in search of coverage on international issues. I pay for that one annually and groan every year when it comes up for renewal, but I can't say no to the FT, at least not yet. And the NYT well, I was practically born with a copy of it at hand back in the 40s, so it's been an interesting ride watching that paper bend to the forces of economic and social changes over the years.

Like a lot of other longtime NYT readers I can be a harsh critic when they tweak anything or let bad copy escape proofreading, but it would take something earth shattering to cause me to drop my subscription. I'd say if Murdoch bought it, that might do it LOL. otoh I did eventually resume reading the WSJ after Murdoch had bought it. I wouldn't give up pizza once a month for the WSJ, but I stopped buying commercial salsa and started making my own to squeeze the pale thing that the WSJ is now back into my budget. I am not sure whether that means the Journal or I have been more corrupted over the passage of time, but anyway my salsa's pretty good and the WSJ's not bad either about 40% of the time. I give the NYT higher marks than that (most days) so the Journal's still on shaky grounds in my house.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I personally believe the NYT harbors ambitions of becoming essentially the world's newspaper of record. At the top of every page you can click a button to read the story in Chinese or Spanish. There is still a "Great Firewall" that prevents much of mainland China from accessing the Times, but they are constantly working on that issue.

And frankly, The New York Times deserves to be the world newspaper. The US is itself the most consequential country in the world, and the standard of journalism put out by the Times is rarely equaled, and never on such a broad range of topics.

As noted above, much of the pleasure of reading the Times comes from the stories you find far from the front page. Heck, the NYT made reading obituaries fascinating. But more than that, it gives you insights into worlds you never knew existed. Case in point: A story a couple weeks ago about Rabbi Shmouel Semelman, whose task it is to ensure that bars in Jerusalem that claim to maintain Kosher status actually do so.

I'm not Jewish, I certainly don't keep Kosher. But stories like that serve to broaden one's understanding of the multitude of forces that shape our world.

There are, in case you were wondering, many, many bars in Jerusalem that make not pretence of keeping Kosher.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Right - they are the most communist news network ever. 100% biased liberal garbage. But its REAL news. Uh huh. Cmon. Please.

11. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep. Stealth advertising hidden in plain view. As an offer to read (and so to buy) content in two of the other majoir languages of the planet. Probably fetches more clicks than an ad for a Hermes scarf.

12. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Seriously? The NYT ignored Bernie Sanders for months past his being a non-story... LOL "communist" indeed, would you know a communist's reporting if you ran into it?

How about this one? Doesn't look very communist to me but then you never know I guess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/...r-media-expansion-fox-conservative-media.html

Last month, after lobbying from media companies, the F.C.C. reinstated what is known as the “UHF discount.” While broadcasters are not permitted to cover more than 39 percent of American households, the discount lets companies exclude stations operating on ultrahigh frequencies from their calculations of station ownership. That move gives Sinclair plenty of breathing room to buy more stations.

Pursuing Tribune makes sense for Sinclair beyond politics. Becoming even bigger would allow Sinclair to push for higher fees from cable operators that retransmit its channels, while helping it fight similar fee demands from content providers, including Fox.

In particular, buying Tribune would make Sinclair the biggest owner of Fox affiliates by far, giving it more leverage over the Murdochs.
    Even the Murdochs may occasionally read the NY Times... And not because they're trying to keep up with whatever the communists of the world are up to. A newspaper of record has far more to it than political coverage and political opinions. It still does print what people used to call "all the news fit to print" before popular culture swung an axe at that idea but failed to kill off serious news reporting completely.

You don't have to read mainsteam news reporting, but it pays not to filter it out on spurious grounds like the far right does with papers of record that continue to print news the far right doesn't want to see or hear. You might miss something significant. Like what's happening to Fox News as Sinclair continues to make inroads in its markets.

13. Zenithal macrumors 603

When someone makes a completely idiotic rant like that I simply ignore them and make a mental note to interpret their posts as garbage.

14. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ Yeah it's raining for the fifth straight day here, otherwise I'd be outside most of every day trying to keep the jungle down in between occasional hard frosts from here to the middle of June... or at least if I saw some sunshine I might be inspired to cut some fabric for projects awaiting launch. But instead I'm holed up reading cookbooks I never make time for, listening to music I don't make enough time for, and venturing into this place I keep telling myself to stay out of. Well batting .667 isn't too bad I guess... but this here ain't baseball.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As someone who has visited communist countries, and worked in several - actually, a considerable number of - post communist countries - and taught the history of communism - I have to ask myself whether you have the first idea of what you are talking about when you post such utter tosh?

The New York Times, the "most communist news network ever"? Pure drivel.

Have you ever - I ask merely as a matter of idle enquiry - heard of a publication named "Pravda", a word, which, when translated, actually means "truth"?

16. Zenithal macrumors 603

We're due for some of that magical stuff, too, supposedly. I doubt it though.