NYU students willing to trade vote for iPod!?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by flyfish29, Nov 14, 2007.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html

excerpt:

Two-thirds say they'll do it for a year's tuition. And for a few, even an iPod touch will do.

That's what NYU students said they'd take in exchange for their right to vote in the next presidential election, a recent survey by an NYU journalism class found.

Only 20 percent said they'd exchange their vote for an iPod touch

:apple:
    I am sure it was more of a joke, but I am also sure many were telling the truth!!! At least it was an iPod Touch- not just a shuffle- they I would have to really worry about the world we live in!:D

2. MacPanda macrumors regular

i'd trade my vote for next uk election for an itunes gift card. :apple: i am serious, politics are so rubbish these days it doesn't matter anymore. 23 years old.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

For the US that means our Fascist dictatorship. When we are lead to believe that we have an open voice in voting, but really unless you vote for a Neo-Con your vote is over-turned by the court. If your vote is not over-turned, then that judge finds him/herself out of a job.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree. If there was a candidate worth voting for, then I would be glad to vote for him. However, seeing as how most candidates are almost the same, and I'd only be voting for the "lesser of 2 evils" rather than someone I believe will do a good job, I may as well sell my vote to someone for an iPod Touch.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

For an iPod, no. For a house, perchance. Politicians try to buy our votes all the time anyhow, just with empty promises instead of cash up front. At least this way we'd get something useful out of it.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I second that. However, I must say that "students" or people @ that age don't vote enough so if giving away an IPT is how someone will get votes then I say do it!

7. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Our votes don't mean much with the current voting system anyways. If they did, we'd have a different president in office right now.

On another note, GO NYU!

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

An iPod? They're cheap. I wouldn't settle for less than full payment of my car, full payment of my student loan, a loaded MBP, a loaded Mac Pro, a few 30" displays, and someplace to live for a few years.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

A years tuition at NYU? Yes

A years tuition at my extremely discounted rate at ASU? No. I'd trade it for a years normal tuition though. I'd be able to pay off the small student loan I have right now, and have enough left over to put in savings.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Some of you would charge so much for a single vote? They're not buying your vote for life. I think they're giving you 2 different situations: one is regarding your vote for a single election, and the other is your vote for life. I'd sell my vote for an iPod, but only if we're talking about a single election. I wouldn't sell my voting power for life.....not unless I was moving out of the country.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I suppose you are right. I would trade my presidential vote pretty cheap, seeing as I am in a very conservative state and my vote wouldn't matter anyway.

I'd still like to vote on ballot issues, though.

12. jeffh83 macrumors newbie

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes. I really really really want an iPod, and unfortunately I'm never happy with any political candidates, and I'm always in the middle of supporting either of the two main contenders, so bleh!

14. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Definitely not. The right to vote is a great privilege, it's a shame that most people could care less.

15. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Hmmm..fate of the future for the US or a tiny kids gadget that plays music.....

I'm going to go with keeping my vote ;)

16. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

17. calculus Guest

calculus

18. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

The iPod might lose its luster during a military dictatorship. You laugh, but imagine the blood pouring out of your face from the butt of a rifle as the laughing soldier/cop walks away with your iPod. It all starts when you sell your rights off.

19. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Looks like 1 in 4 of the masses... The Students were actually less likely to do it.

I can understand it for the average 20 something.. they don't vote anyway so it's no loss to them.

I always say that if you're not going to vote then know what you're not voting for.. find out exactly what sucks about each of the candidates first. Don't just no-vote blindly :p

(slightly tongue in cheek... or is it?)

20. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Livermore, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Hmmm...

I'll trade two Presidential election year votes ('08 and '12) and two off-year votes ('10 and '14) for the absolution of my remaining $17K of student loans.

Alternatively, if anyone from California on MR wants to buy my votes for the candidates of their choosing for the same price ($17K) for these elections, I'll be glad to make arrangements.

Who knows, your money might even make the difference for me turning out to vote at all. And wouldn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? :)

21. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think the more important question is why did you post this in the ipod touch forum? are you trying to get skewed results from only people who can afford / or want the better features, of the touches?

22. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Is this deal retroactive ?:D
    MR poll?

a bribe not to vote, is the same as a bribe to vote?

23. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

No, but I'd donate an ipod to the cause. Makes my vote worth more. Silly fools.

24. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Please, those numbers are so off.

If there was actually someone standing in front of the ballot box with iPod Shuffles (yes, Shuffles!) that they'd give voters for choosing a specific candidate, I bet 75% of people would vote for whomever they were asked to in exchange for the $79 electronic gadget.

Heck, I bet at least a quarter of folks would do it for a $5 bill...

25. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Livermore, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow - you're even more cynical than I.

This gives me an idea though - I think come Election 2008, I'll consider putting my CA vote up for sale on eBay. It's be interesting to see what the street price of a vote actually is. Maybe I could have two options: Presidential candidate only, and then full ballot.