Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
I signe dup last night at 9pm by 6am it told me that I had used up my cellular data, which is complete rubbish as my stats
say I have sent & recieved less then 30MB.

I can only think O2 have their daily tarrif set on a set clock of 6am to 6am which if true is even more stupid.

It should be 24 hours from the moment you pay.

anyone else experienced this.

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
I signe dup last night at 9pm by 6am it told me that I had used up my cellular data, which is complete rubbish as my stats
say I have sent & recieved less then 30MB.

I can only think O2 have their daily tarrif set on a set clock of 6am to 6am which if true is even more stupid.

It should be 24 hours from the moment you pay.

anyone else experienced this.

No because that tariff is a joke and most have gone for the 1Gb/3Gb plan.

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010

I think the single day tarriff is an excellent idea. If I only need it for a day, why pay 5 times as much?

Anyway, to the OP I dare say it's O2 having teething problems. It's only day 2 after all. I'd ring them up and let them know about it. Chances are, they'll refund you.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England

not for people who use sporadic 3g it isnt, be have yourself softlad:rolleyes:

I think the single day tarriff is an excellent idea. If I only need it for a day, why pay 5 times as much?

Anyway, to the OP I dare say it's O2 having teething problems. It's only day 2 after all. I'd ring them up and let them know about it. Chances are, they'll refund you.

I sent an email to them.

carpets

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Warwickshire, UK.
I think I read somewhere that it was midnight to midnight, but there has been so much changing of information in the last couple of days that may be wrong

It's all there if you read the O2 web page.

The 1 day data plan runs out at midnight.

O2 play the part of the Ugly Sisters, insisting that Cinderella is home by the stroke of midnight!!!
:D

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
It's all there if you read the O2 web page.

The 1 day data plan runs out at midnight.

O2 play the part of the Ugly Sisters, insisting that Cinderella is home by the stroke of midnight!!!
:D

if thats true how come I was using it at 1am then 3am after signing up at 8.30 pm

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Just checked o2's t&c's...

3. Daily access provides 500MB data plus unlimited Wi-Fi through The Cloud to use within 24 hrs, weekly access provides 1GB data plus unlimited Wi-Fi through The Cloud to use within 7 days and monthly access provides 3GB data plus unlimited Wi-Fi through The Cloud to use within 30 days.

Agent-W

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Manchester, UK
if thats true how come I was using it at 1am then 3am after signing up at 8.30 pm

It's the way the O2 system works. If you buy an allowance, your 24 hours starts at midnight that night (seems crazy right, it's just a system limitation).

So if you purchased an allowance at 3am, your 24 hours would start from 12am, so in effect you would get 45 hours worth of internet!

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Nah this was mentioned either on here or on the 02 site.

I needed the 500mb for today and i rememebered that it ends at midnight so I waited till this morning and now enjoying the 500mb.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
It's the way the O2 system works. If you buy an allowance, your 24 hours starts at midnight that night (seems crazy right, it's just a system limitation).

So if you purchased an allowance at 3am, your 24 hours would start from 12am, so in effect you would get 45 hours worth of internet!

I paid my £2 on Thursday afternoon. My 3G connection was working on Friday morning, but had stopped early evening. I wonder if they now give you 24hrs from when you pay?

I thought it was midnight-to-midnight, and seem to remember reading that. But the O2 iPad page makes no reference to midnight, it just says:

£2 / Daily
500MB + unlimited
Wi-Fi access
Available for 24 hours

Personally, this package suits me fine. I have wi-fi at home and at work, so only need 3G for the 2-3 days a month I'm away, so £2 per day works out cheaper than any monthly package. If I'm likely to be way for more than five days, I'll get a month's worth.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I've used this once, and it worked great.

24 hours access from purchase.

What's the problem?

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Sorry to be a little stupid here. But how to I activate the O2 data. When I go to settings I can't see any options to sign up anywhere.

When your iPad was activated in iTunes you should have had the option to update the carrier settings (or something like that). This gives a 'View account' button on the Cellular data tab in Settings.

If you didn't get this I would backup your iPad and then use 'Erase all content and settings' in Reset under General in Settings and then reconnect to iTunes. You should then get the option to update carrier settings - say yes to this.

keantan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
I actually went with the o2 sim for this plan. I'm hoping one day that one of the carriers offer an unlimited plan sooner or later or something. But for the meantime I have plenty of wifi around and would only use 3G on a day by day basis anyways. :). The gps on the other hand has come in useful already.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Is the 500MB sufficient amount for a day? I know this will differ from person to person but this is the plan I will most likely use when I'm travelling away from work.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
I think the £2 plan is great. I don't need 3G all the time, but when i do travel I know that i can just spend £2 and get internet for the whole journey. In fact, im using it right now. The iPad signal is brilliant btw!

Pelorus

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2001
Personally, this package suits me fine. I have wi-fi at home and at work, so only need 3G for the 2-3 days a month I'm away, so £2 per day works out cheaper than any monthly package. If I'm likely to be way for more than five days, I'll get a month's worth.

You'd be better off with the Three low end package of £7.50 for 1 GB on a 30 day rolling contract. See here for a list of the UK tariffs.

I've tested both O2 and Three extensively and Three, because they piggyback on the Orange network (which has the best coverage in the UK), had consistently higher upload and download speeds. And for £7.50? Bargain.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
You'd be better off with the Three low end package of £7.50 for 1 GB on a 30 day rolling contract. See here for a list of the UK tariffs.

I've tested both O2 and Three extensively and Three, because they piggyback on the Orange network (which has the best coverage in the UK), had consistently higher upload and download speeds. And for £7.50? Bargain.

I might consider that, but then Three don't include wi-fi right? If I was away for three days in a month, O2 is cheaper (£6) with more data (1.5GB), so still looks a better bet to me. I think I need to see how much data I use when I'm away from home/office and then decide.

I also imagine O2 are still sorting their system, because the £2 package I bought late yesterday morning had expired first thing this morning (and I had used <50MB) i.e. it ran out in less than 24hrs

Pelorus

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2001
I might consider that, but then Three don't include wi-fi right? If I was away for three days in a month, O2 is cheaper (£6) with more data (1.5GB), so still looks a better bet to me. I think I need to see how much data I use when I'm away from home/office and then decide.

I also imagine O2 are still sorting their system, because the £2 package I bought late yesterday morning had expired first thing (and I had used <50MB) i.e. it ran out in less than 24hrs

Horses for courses :)

1 GB with 30 days to use it is heaps more use to me than 1.5GB with only 3 days to use it. My usage pattern on iPhone is just under 8 GB downloaded over 3G in the last two and a half years.

The WiFi thing is a fair point which is why I consider the low end monthly deal from O2 to be very competitive - similar to the Three deal but throws in Cloud and BTOpenzone for an extra £2.50.

That said - I'll likely be going Vodafone because their roaming data costs beat the socks off any of the other carriers.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
I don't quite understand... I bout the 500mb plan yesterday at around 5pm, but then this morning at 6am when I tried using it I got a notification saying it had expired, even though I had around 400mb remaining :confused:

Have I mis understood o2's terms or was this a mistake on their part?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Phone them.

I just signed up using a microsim that came with my ipad and im dissapointed in quality of images.

There is clear pixalation on images on webpages.

I had been using a cut up O2 mobile broadband SIM since Friday but it expired today so I thought I would use the data through the on ipad account settings.

I regret it now... it is easy but O2 image quality was much better on the mobile broadband SIM - I will go back to that SIM when my 30 days is up so I can get better photos.

Anyone got a solution to this?

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England

I also imagine O2 are still sorting their system, because the £2 package I bought late yesterday morning had expired first thing this morning (and I had used <50MB) i.e. it ran out in less than 24hrs

You mean just like my original post

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London

To get the best speeds on O2 you need to connect with the APN and username which will bypass the proxy. This is true for the iPhone and Mobile Broadband contracts but unfortunately O2 are not yet allowing the iPad to do this because the service is configured PAYG rather than contract. I confirmed this with O2 tech.

APN mobile.o2.co.uk with Username bypass and Password password connects without going through the optimisation proxy. The proxy is designed to compress images but it also severly limits speed. To give an example I'm in a HSDPA HSUPA area which when the proxy is bypassed gives my iPhone speeds of 2.5/0.3Mbps (the iPhone chip doesn't support HSUPA for higher uploads) and 5/1.5Mbps on Mobile Broadband. The iPad however gets 0.9/0.3Mbps at the same time.

What sort of speeds do you get on the 3 network and how do images look on websites? Are they compressed or unadultered? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.