o2 3G iPhone £99.00 upgrade offer ended

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxlmac, Nov 12, 2008.

1. maxlmac macrumors newbie

Hi all

The o2 3G upgrade £99.00 to existing contract holders offer ended yesterday. Not knowing this, I today went to my local o2 store, all excited about an upgrade, only to find out that they wouldn't upgrade me. I was refused the upgrade of my contract 2G iPhone to a 3G iPhone as an Email went out yesterday to all stores saying that the offer ended 11/11/08.

I called o2 and after being bounced from pillar to post for over 30 minutes, they wouldn't budge. They would rather that I cease my contract for £350.00 rather than upgrade me for £99.00 and have me sign up for another 18 months. An 8Gb 3G iPhone costs £350.00, even to existing 2G contract holders.

After suggesting to their Disconnections Team that I would migrate away and just jailbreak and unlock my iPhone, their suggestion was "that's fine". So there you go - its official that o2 do not care about customers who spend in excess of £65 a month on the £35 a month tariff.

Guess I should have upgraded earlier but unfortunately personal circumstances wouldn't allow it.

Just thought I would let people know about this anyway...

MLM.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I do like O2, but they are a bit silly, Orange and Vodafone were always more accommodating in my experience. I was nearing the end of my BlackBerry Pearl contract and called to see if I could upgrade to iPhone during the promotion, even though I had a contract similar to the iPhone on my BB and had been regularly paying £50-100 a month in bills they refused to allow me to upgrade early. I considered buying a pre-pay and sticking my sim in, but then thought 'why should I'?

In the end I bought a sim-free new BlackBerry Curve and use that, I'm now waiting to see if the new BB Javelin will be available on O2, doubt I will get an iPhone now as very happy with BB, but O2 and apple could have had me :eek:

3. maxlmac thread starter macrumors newbie

/quote In the end I bought a sim-free new BlackBerry Curve and use that, I'm now waiting to see if the new BB Javelin will be available on O2, doubt I will get an iPhone now as very happy with BB, but O2 and apple could have had me :eek:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments. It is a strange business approach. Surely signing me up for another 18months, selling me an upgrade for £99 AND keeping the customer happy is a sound business approach. I don't quite understand why they can't do this but I suspect it is just a case of call centre monkey's (forgive the expression) just following procedure. Anything outside procedure doesn't compute. They even admitted that their systems weren't set up to allow anything else. Definitely a shame and not good business in times of this so called credit crunch. o2 definitely crunched me and my opinion of them.