Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone know what data speed gets reduced too if you go over your allocated usage. Like my bolt on is 500mb if I go over will it reduce the speed to EDGE or O

Thanks

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
They don't even seem to slow me down at all. When I spoke to a Guru in-store once he said it was capped at speed dependent on the mast itself. So if your in town and loads of people are using the mast you have the lowest priority speed hence get crap speeds but in a low used area you get normal or almost normal speeds. Between 3 and 6mb/s. A lot of the masts are also having their backhaul upgraded. So this should get better.

Although no one is on o2 in Norfolk since everyone thinks its crap but I've always had great coverage with it (Chose them because they are the only network I get a 3G signal with at work).

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I always seem to get between 2Mb/Sec and 4Mb/Sec on o2 - by far the fastest 3G experience.

Not sure what happens if you go over the cap as i'm on an unlimited tariff.

o2 are upgrading every site to 3G900 so speeds and coverage should improve.

I was on 3G900 briefly but after just checking i'm back on 3G 2100. Not sure if they rolled back. Seems odd.

I had excellent signal for about a week then i went back to occasionally switching back to EDGE in 2 rooms of my house, as i live on a fringe area for 3G. But 3G900 gives me a much better signal.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the Input guys. But I don't think the question has been answered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.