o2 iPhone 3G - Cancelation Fee only £180

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustle, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 3G contract ends in January 2010 (A year this month). I'm on the £45 per month contract.

I phoned o2 today as I'm interested about caneling my contract and just getting a £15 simplicity sim card (£45 a month is a lot for me to pay as I'm a student).

I was amazed that my cancelation fee is only £180, considering I asked in November and it was over £400. Maybe the CS person got the fee wrong, however I'm going to ring up tomorrow and cancel it if that is the actual fee, then sell the iPhone 3G on eBay.

Does this fee sound correct?

2. john316 macrumors member

Sounds rather wrong that - normally should be the rest of your contract in 1 fee. So in your case it'll be 12x£45 I'd have thought.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Why didn't you jsut get it on PAYG if the £45 a month is too much? :confused:

4. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Or make with the sensible and put down £99 + £35pm? :p

5. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Evidently because I'm an idiot! :D

I can afford to pay the bill, it's just I'm starting University in a few months and I didn't realise how much every penny is going to count. :eek:

6. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I phoned them just now and they've downgraded me to the £34/month priceplan until the end of my contract. :)

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Why not just cancel on the spot when he said £180?

8. Aurial macrumors 6502

So what was the outcome of this thread anyway?

Is the early termination fee on O2 a flat rate? If so is that £180 or something else? Or alternatively is it (the line rental on your tariff) x (number of months remaining on your contract)?

It's not clear from reading all the posts.

9. donbenjy macrumors 6502

how easy was it to downgrade? I'm thinking about going with £45 to get the free phone and trying to downgrade later...assuming you haven't gone over with your contract, and you got the 8Gb model, you've just saved £40 :cool:

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about uni spending - I was on £42.50 for most of my first year at uni, although I downgraded after about 12 months too ;)