O2 Leicester, England, UK - Pre-Registered - Pickup on Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nazuk, Jul 1, 2008.

1. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Hello to everyone here in England, UK. ...and anyone else interested!

I just walked into a O2 Store, thinking i'm going to be fobbed off with usual official Corporate twaddle.

To my surprise, a very very helpful 'Tom' at O2, Beaumont Leys, Leicester - took my debit card details, run through the pre-registration with usual credit checks, and I was all done in no more than 15 minutes.

Luckily he was a Apple fan too!!

He said the only part of the pre-registration that is not working, is the actual issue of the 'CODE' - but he said I can pickup that up on Friday 4th July onwards.

I can now pickup the iPhones (I ordered two) on launch day.

He will phone me, and let me know any further developments.

But I am now pre-registered, with the 'Contracts' in suspend mode until launch day, when I will go in and activate them.

I am one pretty happy chappy now!!!

PS: He did say "the official pre-registration day is actually 4th July - but anyone can come in earlier, and we can do the same for them, so spread the word" :D:D:D:D:D

2. Jowl macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I'm be calling at the local shopping centre today (although I try and avoid it generally)....might have to call in the o2 shop. Which is just opposite the Apple store :D

3. nazuk thread starter macrumors 6502

nazuk

The one I went into was completely empty. just two advisors, and me, and this was during my lunch hour.

Trust me, they get most of their enquiries via the phone, so hardly many iPhone visitors just yet.

Good time to go in asap.

4. Kerching macrumors member

Naz

Is this for a new contract or an upgrade from existing iPhone?

5. nazuk thread starter macrumors 6502

nazuk

New Contract. No idea what the situation is for upgrades, I didn't ask.

You could always look up the phone number for Beaumont Leys, Leicester, ask for Tom. He seemed pretty clued up, and knew what I was looking for.

6. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

@ Nazuk,

Another question, mate. Are you using a PAC code, or do you know if I should get one before visiting O2 or after?

Ta!

7. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

A tale from Hull

Here's where I am in the process.

Went back to o2 store just now. The large one in Princess Quay shopping centre if you know Hull at all.

Eventually got the store manager (a nice lady - why do women always know stuff when blokes dont?)

As of today you can start the process of signing up for a contract to the point where you pass a credit check. The application is then suspended (max 30 days). Takes about 10 mins (would have been quicker if I could remember my previous post code!)

Then I go in on the morning of the 11th and give my debit card details to the sales person. With this they can call up the suspended application. No need to collect my 'CODE'

They then complete the process (10 mins max) where I choose my plan and handset, pay and leave.

BTW that particular store opens at 9am because the centre operator will not open earlier for them.

*** this in NOT a pre-order and I'm not guaranteed a phone on the 11th - but I'm hoping to be 1st in the queue! ***

8. nazuk thread starter macrumors 6502

nazuk

no PAC code, but he did ask if I was transferring my old number, I said no. So I presume you need to take the PAC code with you. But maybe you can delay that bit until registration day 4th July ?

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Well, they're valid for 30 days so I'll get mine first.

10. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I dont suppose you could do this for pay as you go?

11. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i just went to my o2 store and the guy said come back on friday

i said i was already on the o2 simplicity contract and he said their really is no need to do the pre-registration as im just upgrading to the iPhone contract .

also a pre-registration does not guarantee an iPhone in anyway, it will only speed up the transaction at the till

12. geeb macrumors regular

Pre-registration is their way of getting their hooks into you...it is no guarantee of getting a phone on launch day if 100 ppeople walked in at 7am.

However, there were NO queues at the original iphone launch and it will be the same this time around too.

13. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Hmm. They're probably just banking on the fact that they'll have enough stock to be able to make it look like they reserved one. If it's going to be über busy (probably not though, considering they're opening early in the morning) I wouldn't count on it.

14. Badgerguy macrumors member

I wouldn't be so sure - last time around there were no queues at my nearest O2 stores (city centre Birmingham!) - but HUGE queues at the Apple store!

This time around, you probably won't be able to get a contract iPhone at the Apple store - so, where are all those people going to go? O2 (or maybe Carphone Warehouse) - either way, Queues could well be possible, so check out the O2 website and look for the nearest stores in your area, and work out which ones might be a bit quieter!

--
    BG

15. sjw macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about being able to 'pre-register'. :confused: Numerous sources suggest it's going to be purely first come first served.

16. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

What info did they actually take from you?
    I signed up last friday, but all they entered into the system was my name, address and debit card (for ID). Nothing about which contract or even that it was the iPhone I was interested in.
    Just trying to gauge if this is something new or what has been available for a while, as like I say, I did the credit check a fair few days ago.

17. nazuk thread starter macrumors 6502

nazuk

Well, in my case that's the whole point. To speed up the transaction on the day, and also to ensure the credit checks are done. I am fully aware it is NOT a rservation for an iPhone to myself.

remember, I am a new customer, I have no baggage as it were to bring with me, and plus I want to make it easy as possible.

18. nazuk thread starter macrumors 6502

nazuk

I honestly don't know - I think that is a separate issue, as nothing 'official' has been announced by O2

19. nazuk thread starter macrumors 6502

nazuk

Yes, he did take all my details, current address, previous, bank details from debit card, and also asked me which model, and tariff i wanted. The tariff and model bit must have been noted, because he double-checked with me again.

Oh and by the way, [AND YES I KNOW MY IPHONE IS NOT RESERVED] he did note my name in full, and my contact number, in his little 'green book' he was taking out of his back pocket. He said I will contact you nearer the time on that number.

Like I said, it's not a reservation - but he assured me it will speed up the buying process on launch day.

Besides, there is nothing in it for them, apart from saving time, because I am not obligated in anyway whatsoever unless I go back in, and activate the contract, and make it go live.

20. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Just rang up the 4 O2 stores and 4 CPWs in Manchester.

LOL - they all had different info, ranging from come in now for credit check and we will reserve your phone and we will be open at 7.02am to we are not reserving or doing credit checks in advance of the 11th, and we will not have the 16Gb in and we will not open early - that was Stockport BTW - so bah humbug to you!

Think I am just gunna wait till next week when we get official conf from O2 as promised in the txts we got today...

21. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

There's 2 CPWs and an O2 in Stockport - which did you ring?

Anyway it's one off the list.. leaving Arndale and Trafford Centre as my target O2 stores (I'm avoiding CPW).

22. badgerman macrumors 6502a

02 stocks- they were rubbish.

CPW near the peel centre said 8.02 and no preregistration, but then the area manager came in and she checked again - now its 9am and will be 9am for all O2/CPW countrywide as detemined by Apple happarantly...

Market st O2 said come in on the 4th and they will sort it all out as they will have confirmation by then. They also told me it will be 7.02 weeks ago...

Bit of a farce. :confused:

23. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Best to confirm a couple of days before I guess.. they're pulling stuff out of their arses right now.