O2 no longer allowing pre-registration of interest

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rigsby, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Rigsby macrumors regular

The O2 site has been decidedly spotty over the past few minutes, and has now changed the iPhone holding page to advise you can't pre-register interest anymore.

http://iphone.o2.co.uk/registeryourinterest/
    "The new iPhone has arrived, and it's exclusive to O2.
    We are now no longer allowing customers to pre-register their interest for iPhone 3G. iPhone 3G will go on general sale on 11 July 2008 in all our stores."

Perhaps a sign that something is going to happen for those of us who have registered?

Interestingly, their maintenance page is very out of date:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/holding/maintenancePage.html
    "Thanks for visiting the O2 Online Shop
    Due to extremely high demand, we're unable to process orders online at present.
    For details about the iPhone, please visit http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone.
    Buy Now
    To buy now from O2's current range of mobiles, please call 0870 225 7879. Please note, the iPhone is not available until 9th November 2007."

2. badgerman macrumors 6502a

:cool:
    hmmm not even for PAYG interest either, smells like PAYG will be released on d-day afterall? :cool:

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

4. badgerman macrumors 6502a

If they get back to us all directly saying exactly how to get one first, then no one post the details, that way the non-registers will have to wait behind us... :D

5. Jowl macrumors 6502

Or maybe O2 were wanting to let you pre-order....and Apple said no?

6. Badgerguy macrumors member

This certainly makes it look a lot more likely that O2 are gearing up to start pushing out more official information.

Whilst the iPhone is big news, the only day when the world really needs to stop turning is July 11th - the rest of the time it will be business as usual for O2 stores, and O2 will want to keep it that way - their stores are there to make money, not act as iPhone news-stands.

O2 will therefore be wanting to prepare as concise an annoncement as possible for all those who registered their interest, to minimize confusion and minimize disruptive enquiries to their stores.

Enquiries will still happen though - If the stores are indeed to open early on Friday, then in some cases this will be dependant on whether the stores are in a shopping centre (who sometimes have their own ideas as to what times stores should be opening!). Also, there is the question as to what level of stock a store is projected to receive - people won't want to stand in line and wait for hours for a store that doesn't have enough handsets to meet demand.

Finally, there's the question of contract signups. Customers who are new to O2 will need to have credit checks done etc, and may need to bring certain elements of paperwork with them to proove their identity - can this all be done in advance to speed the process along? No official announcement has yet been made.

Still, with just over a week to go, we probably won't have too much longer to wait for some more concrete news!

--
    BG

7. Badgerguy macrumors member

I suspect O2 will not have wanted to handle pre-orders either.

Doing pre-orders would mean getting a process together to handle such a task - O2 aren't going to want their stores (which need to carry on their daily operations) to get bogged down in calls from people wanting to pre-order. Instead they'd need to get a callcenter or website up and running to handle it all, in which case, the stores wouldn't need to necessarily be involved at all - it could all just be shipped out and delivered.

More tempting however, is to use your network of stores for distribution, and have lines of people waiting around outside stores up and down the country all hoping to get their hands on the latest technology - that's something that makes the news. The risk of course, is that the news on Friday will also include mentions to the dissapointed ones who had to be turned away because the stores had sold out.

One thing we can all take a little comfort in - Apple's moves toward greener packaging also means more compact packaging - so the stores can pack more into their store rooms! ;)

--
    BG

8. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I think we'll all find out what the heck Is going on when they make an announcement on Monday and contact all who registered intrest. Those who did will be able to go in next week and preregister, then on Friday all they have to do is collect the phone. Still unsure of how the process is going to work for current iPhone customers wanting to upgrade. Its looking more likely they will post the phones out for the 11th, but I think we'll have to line up like everyone else!

9. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Agree, i have a sneeky feeling that we may hear tomoz. Fingers X'd

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

CAn#'t remember which thread, but someone mentioned tomorrow to be the day for the pre-registered people to get more information/ an invite to get a pre-purchase credit check etc.
    I'd check the email account you used to sign up interest to tomorrow/ the boards from 9am. To be honest, they might roll out an email tonight in the small hours.

It'd make sense to have some information 1 week beforehand. Will give O2 a bit more information as to level of demand.
    I think a pinch of salt is needed thoguh - simply speaking, all anyone did was register interest. Might be reading too much beyond O2 wanting to get an idea at level of interest.

11. wiz2611 macrumors newbie

Text from O2

Did anyone receive a text from O2 this week, Having registered my interest in the 3G phone, got a text saying thank you, details to follow.

Called O2 and they said that the phones would be posted out on launch day, no use to me, I will go to the Carphone Wharehouse to get mine , confirmed here in Portsmouth they will be opening at 7.02am !

12. Courthold macrumors member

I went into my local O2 store today and did the pre-11th credit check which created a temp placeholder contract on their system for them to pull up on the 11th. From what I gathered:

- the staff hadn't been told how many they'd be getting in on the day
    - doing the credit check didn't mean you would get a phone for sure, it was a first come first served thing.
    - they've had 150,000 people register on the website but then got told that they couldn't reserve phones for people, as they were originally planning on doing
    - there will be apple staff in-store on the 11th
    - O2 will be releasing all the information about the launch next week (Monday?)
    - They also seemed to be putting up a display with a projected countdown on the window.

13. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

Ohhh funky! oh how i wish this was the 10th and tomorrow was the 11th 1 more week to go! I wish i hadnt sold my original iphone to pay for this new one! i miss it oh so much!

14. spinstorm macrumors 68000

This is a mess! Its a week till it is out and no one seems to have any idea how it is going to work as far as upgrades or payg goes!

I just went into an o2 shop and the lady there told me upgrades were online or on the phone. So I called o2 and was told that I could upgrade from the 11th by calling OR go to an o2 shop on the day and get the phone there.

No mention of it being sent out by post for the 11th for existing customers as I was told before!

It seems unbelievable that they would not have released official details yet!

15. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I was told last night after phoning up 02 upgrades, that a special website would be set up on the 11th and we could log in a request the upgrade from there!

The amount of different stories is unbelievable!

16. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I got me info ftom o2 (and CPW) by email but lets face it - 'registering interest' on the web site(s) means nothing.

To get the phone you have to get to a store at 7:02 (or whatever time they open) and go buy one.

No advantage to the whole pre-register interest thing.

17. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

What about the upgraders! We want it on the 11th too

18. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

You have to upgrade online. There is talk here (and other forums) that o2 are saying you will receive delivery on the 11th but I don't buy it.

19. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

if i dont get it on the 11th i wil likely have to wait to the tuesday before its in my hands as its a holiday here on the 14th due to the 12th of July celebrations here in N.Ireland! Perhaps they should release a special Orange Man Version for us in the north?

20. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

The iBoyne?

21. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Having lived in Liverpool for 3 years on the late 80's I'm familiar with the Orange order :)

22. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I dont understand it but sure whatever keeps them happy!

23. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

They like drums and marching. Usually at 8am on a Sunday morning whilst students [me] are sound asleep in bed. Happy days :cool:

24. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

*looks bemused* and says "so what?"

I can't understand why o2 would do this. If someone walks into an o2 shop on July 11th and says they want to buy a 3G iPhone, will the shop assistant ask if they pre-registered or not? If not will they walk out empty handed? It's different to reserving something, so why bother closing pre-registrations? I reckon it was all just a way of getting a rough idea of how many might sell in the first few weeks.

o2 are totally handling this launch BADLY. One week to go and we are all still in the dark. Nice one.