O2 not sure what of unlimited means

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afd, Sep 28, 2007.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

don't know if this is what iPhone users in the UK will get with o2, but they have introduced an "unlimited" browsing bolt on with their pay monthly tarrifs for £7.50. This though is limited to 200MB...

[​IMG]

edit sorry title meant to say - O2 not sure of what unlimited means...

2. smythey macrumors regular

Can you post the link to their site where this is? Ive been on the 02 site a few times today to see if they had any info the the unlimited packages meant to be released today, but couldnt see anything.

3. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry can't post a link, you have to choose a phone then a tariff then a page appears with extras such as a BT headset, ITS and this unlimited bolt on

4. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

O2 has no idea what unlimited means, GET RID of the stupid "fair use policy". is it 200MB a month or a day.

5. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

a month i'm afraid, 200 a day would be ok, not sure if you could download 200MB in a day over EDGE on an iPhone...
    Terms and conditions are here where it also mentions O2 Web Max which lets you download 3GB a month, can't find how much that is though

6. smythey macrumors regular

Going by the graphic posted by the OP, its 200 Megabits. Which is significantly worse.

7. TheChillPill macrumors regular

It's 200MB per month, and how on earth that can come anywhere near to be called unlimited is beyond me - thats just over 6.5Mb a day.

However, of interest is the fact that this bolt-on is also available (from Oct 1st) to PAYG customers too.

8. smythey macrumors regular

I agree that its a bit stupid to call it "unlimited", but I think 200MB each month is enough for most people. Makes me cringe that my network doesnt know its bits from its bytes though....

9. Simon1966 macrumors regular

Do you have the link to this page?
    I didn't think it was available untill 01/10/07.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, in the three weeks I've had my iPhone, my EDGE usage is 8.3MB upload and 67.4MB download, so presumably it'll be a total of about 100MB/month and most of that was probably in the first 10 days or so of playing with a new toy. I don't know how close that is to the average.

I have it at work 9-10 hours a day and I'm not allowed to connect it to our WiFi network so it's on EDGE most of the time. I do some occasional web surfing, but not a lot. I don't use YouTube. I have GMail and Yahoo accounts set up to check every 15 minutes.

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Right thats it, Im not going to get an iphone. this is pathetic 200MB a month:mad::mad:. Just my e-mails pull 20-30MB a day. O2 stop trying to fool people dont call it unlimited, call it LIMITED Web Browsing. Apple should have gone with Vodafone not o2:mad::mad:.

BTW, Im currently a very annoyed o2 Customer. They need to get there act together.:mad:

12. smythey macrumors regular

Scroll up a bit dude - the OP says you have to choose a phone on the 02 site and go through some further options etc to see it.

13. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

AT&T never told us how much usage is included in its unlimited plan but it seems to be working for every user out there. We never heard of anyone getting charged extra or get their account dropped for using too much edge.
    But I dont know, I had the iphone for over 3 months now and total usage on edge is 255mb received and 28mb sent.
    And I been using it plenty of times and regurarly every day to retrieve emails and browse with edge.
    Maybe when it comes down to actuall user usage 200mb's should do the job. Unless you download movies off the net with your phone :D

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

That is just plain retarded:confused:

How can "unlimited" be 200MB per month

I can't believe Apple chose to partner with those idiots.

15. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Youtube?

16. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Been using it but not alot on the regural.
    I heard that when using edge the videos are alot smaller in size and thats why they are not as good quality as when you're on youtube thru edge.
    So maybe they're not that big of a size cause they download pretty quick.

17. sananda macrumors 68020

that 200MB is for the bolt on. we don't know what the fair use policy is for the iphone tariff except that at launch the o2 ceo said that 1,400 web pages a day would break the fair use policy.

i called o2 to try to find the fair use policy for the iphone and they couldn't find any information. i have sent an email request for more information.

18. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Still not a bad deal, in Canada some pay $50 per 1mb of data usage :D

19. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I think you guys worry too much about this unlimited data thing.....

20. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Yeh, I think it going to be the same thing for the iphone.

21. Applemacmonkey macrumors newbie

I happen to know exactly how the tariffs work.

People - relax.
    Notice how it says - 'fair use policy'?

They will not charge you if you go over 200mb.

If you constantly go over 300mb over 3 consecutive months then they will politely text you to tell you to stop doing so. They may choose to stop you having that particular bolt on if you then continue to go over the limits.

It's to stop the few abusing the data service and ultimately driving the costs up for O2, thereby ruining it for the many.

22. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Last summer in Canada Rogers had their "unlimited" data plan they called it which was $100 a month for 100 MB. I also did not understand how they could call it "unlimited." I called them up and asked and the guy said "Typical users do not go over that amount." Sorry to break it to Rogers, but 100MB REALLY doesn't take me long to use.

23. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't know what sites he's browsing, but making a web archive of this page ends up with a file that's 576KB. So viewing this page 1400 times a day (roughly) ends up with 700MB a day or 21GB a month. Even o2's home page is 152 KB, no one is interested in browsing text only WAP pages on an iPhone, so I think o2 need to get a bit more realistic with their figures.

24. LeviG macrumors 65816

unfortunately this is a common state of play which has been deemed acceptable by ofcom and the uk advertising standards.

Just about all companies relating to internet browsing that state unlimited have hidden in the small print either a fup, port blocking or throttling or all of them together.

If apple was to advertise their products as having unlimited battery life and only lasting for 5 hours they would get ripped to shreds by the press and by other companies. But its perfectly acceptable in the "we don't complain" uk to put up with this false advertising over usage limits when it comes to the internet.

25. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

It was my understanding (and that may be incorrect) that Europe was more embracing of non-unlimited data with their phones.

Sort of an a la carte just pay for what you use type of a system.

I understand that Europe is not monolithic in its phone use, and even if it were England might be different.

Is this not the case?