o2 [UK] store opening times for 11 July - 7:02 or 8:02?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnwin, Jul 4, 2008.

1. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Ok so I've read and contributed to a million posts here stating that o2 and CPW will be opening at 7:02 and even had o2 staff 'confirm' that o2 want to open at 7:02 but at the particular store they are in a shopping centre so will open at 9:00

BUT

Apple have announced that (in the US at least) stores (ATT&T and Apple) will open at 8:00 local time.

SO

Do we know for definite that UK store will open an hour before this? I just think that when we go in store and the sales Muppets don't know it is easier for them to parrot back 7:02 - i.e. are we guilty of leading the witnesses?

Anyone got anything definite yet? please!!

2. Badgerguy macrumors member

Well, taking into account global time zones - its not really an hour before - it's several!

Apple could have tried to stipulate that all stores open at the same point in time accross that world - but it seems much more likely that they will now be allowing the operators some flexibility, given that it's the operators who are taking on the primary responsibilities for distribution.

So, given the number of posts and rumours and news sites saying that it's going to be 7.02 (where possible) - then I think this one is most likely going to be true.

I certainly hope it is - gives me time to hopefully get the thing before work - assuming queues don't start to from from midnight!

--
    BG

3. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

Yes I realise that Badger :) but I just think SJ is such a control junkie he would hate that the uk get their iPhones 6hrs be for New York and not 5.

Just a hunch.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You mean SJ is going to make Australia wait until the 12th? ;)

No. I think it will be first thing the morning of the 11th… not 8:00am US time.

5. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

I did not say that the launch would be pegged to a US timezone, I know it will be local time - and this means Australia will be among the first to start selling the iPhone, but my point is that will Apple impose the 8am (LOCAL TIME) on all retailers?

I just think that when we go into and o2 store and say "are you opening at 7:02 on the 11th" is is much easier for them to say yes even if they don't know.

6. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

My local O2 store says that hey are not opening until 10am!!!!

I think they re just having a laugh with us all, the guy told me he reads this forum and that most of the rumors or even 'truths' are a load of crap!!!

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

the 2 main o2 stores in Nottingham city centre are adamant they will be opening at 8:02am, although I'm not convinced they even know for sure..

i guess we'll all find out as next friday fast approaches :)

8. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

Well he needs to step up and give us some info then!

9. Badgerguy macrumors member

Well hopefully the ones that are crap are the ones about limited stock, and the ones that are true will be the early opening - I want to get this over with prior to going to work!

--
    BG

10. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Went into our local store (Swindon) lunchtime and was told it will not be opening until 9am on 11th July due to it being in a shopping area....

11. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

The wry smile on his face suggests to me that they know exactly what they are doing!

Increasing the hype is the best advertising that a company can generate... word of mouth is free.

Have you seen very much advertising for the 3G iphone anywhere?

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's not hype - apple already did that - it's annoyance.

By this stage we should already know the opening times of our local O2 store at the very least.. because if I'm going to be late into work because the store decided to open at 9am I need to let people know in advance.

I'll be down there on Saturday and expect them to be well clued up, that being the last Saturday before launch and the last opportunity many have to check details before the release day. Unfortunately with O2 I really doubt they will be... as someone else so eloquently put "they couldn't organise a row of chairs".

13. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Don't you think that we are giving Apple a bit much power over the Telcos?

In NZ, at least, where Vodafone will be the carrier for iPhone, Vodafone already have greater than 50% of all cell subscriber accounts.

The iPhone is really just a niche product for a select few of us who are prepared to pay the high cost for a data plan

Sure its worth a bit of money, but as a total number of customers it can’t be that great. They don’t need the iPhone to maintain there market dominance.

I suspect they will open there doors when it suits them.

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well a manager told me so a while back. I didn't mention 7.02, the Manager did.
    I'll check with another one on Monday - seeing as there's a fair bit to confirm as to whether it's happening on Monday or not.
    Edit - as Mojowill says - some stores couldn't be open at 7.02 as the shopping centre they are in don't open at that time...)

15. MojoWill macrumors 6502

o2 are opening at 7.02am bu it depends on the location of the sotore (shopping centres etc)

In fact AUS and NZ will be getting the iphone way before anyone else!

16. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

My local o2 store here in sunny, sunny Cheshire said they'd open at 7.02am.

The precinct the store is situated in is also opening at 7.02am to accomodate the iPhone 3G launch.
    (which is rare - seen as though they've never opened early before).

It's definately 7.02am, Although it depends where the store is situated as stated above.

R-Fly

17. MojoWill macrumors 6502

18. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I see. How annoying. I will have to get on the phone to my local O2 stores to find out what the plans are.

19. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

Another shout here from sunny Cheshire (Widnes :-s) The Guy in o2 said they opened at 7 but didn't have any other information for me.

I'll probably go back in on Thursday to make sure of what's happening.

20. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

I'll be going in to my local store every day next week and asking for the opening time. Then get there at 6:59 just in case!

21. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Just been around a few O2 stores to get opening times

Stockport 9:00. Confirmed by manager.
    Manchester Market street 10:00 but seemed unsure
    Manchester Arndale - get this... "We're not allowed to tell you, it's a secret"

It's the Saturday before launch FFS! Do they expect people to turn up on the day and cross their fingers hoping the store is open??

As there's no early opening in Manchester (and you'd have to be insane to drive into the city at 9am) it looks like Stockport is the earliest around here.. Unless one of the ones at Trafford Centre is opening at 8am

22. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Haha. I bet they felt really important. What a joke. No info is a pain in the arse.

23. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Also from Widnes, see you there. :cool:

R-Fly

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Just order it online and forget about the opening times :)