O2 UK - Unlimited Wi-Fi.. Not so unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -MRB, Jul 8, 2010.

1. -MRB macrumors 6502

I've had a letter come through today from O2-UK just giving me a breakdown of my plan, plus the small print.

So now they're capping Wi-Fi use too? I wasn't informed about this when i renewed my contract & got an iP4.

2. brightlights macrumors regular

Do you really use O2's WiFi that much? I think I've only ever seen BTOpenZone once and never managed to successfully connect to it.

3. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have made that clearer.

I have an O2 contract, and I get 1200 minutes, 750MB Data, and 'Unlimited' Wi-Fi

But this letter now says that the Unlimited Wi-Fi was only a promotion. And data allowances will apply as of 01/10/10. Which i wasn't informed about.

4. NickRno77 macrumors regular

If you are not happy cancel if you are within the 14 day cooling of period.

I just moved from Carphone Warehouse o2 to o2 iPhone Simplicity. Must say I'm not very happy that I will be capped 500mb but can't enable tethering with taking out a separate Tethering Contract.

5. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'll just send them a complaint.

Last time I did, I got the unlimited texts bolt on for £7.50 a month, when they had stopped the unlimited texts bolt on.

As soon as you threaten to leave, they'll do what they can to make you stay.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

This information was in the small print below the ip4 tariffs on o2's website before the ip4 launch!

7. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

I was waiting for that.

Even so, I should have been informed when buying the phone. They can't expect you to read everything.

8. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Yes they can. But they count on you not.

9. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Hey I've just signed up on the phone for a:

O2 iPhone Simplicity 12 month 300 mins, Unlimited Text, 500mb Data and Unlimited WIFI. The guy stated free Unlimited WIFI he never mentioned anything about

"Promotional unlimited Web & Wi-Fi until 30/09/10. From 01/10/10 data allowances apply":confused:

10. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I really don't see how they can charge you for wifi as it has nothing to do with them.

11. kaelell macrumors 6502

Isnt the unlimited wifi refering to BTopenzone wifi, that how I assumed it was. Your wifi in your home has nothing to do with them, you could take out your sim card and still use it.

12. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Its on about the WiFi hotspots that O2 run.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It has nothing to do with your home wifi. It's to do with openzones etc. O2 leases data so there is a fee. It was unlimited it now isn't on new ip4 contracts.

14. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Oh I see. My mistake.
    However I have literally never seen on of o2's hotspots. Macdonalds/starbucks etc sure, but never one of o2's.

15. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Free Unlimited wifi connecting to BT Openzone and Cloud

16. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

I use this sometimes - there is usually one in shopping centres with an 02 shop in and Belfast City centre seems to be covered by BT openzone. can anyone clarify what is happening when this 'unlimited' expires?

17. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

If they told you everything in the contract T&C's in store, you wouldn't leave the store for a week.

18. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

How hard can it be to say 'The unlimited Wi-Fi is only a promotion, and will change as of 01/10/10'

19. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

O2 are really going down hill 2bh. Which is a shame as I really like them as u can buy tickets etc early.

20. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Gosh I'm so sick of o2 service now. Been with them for years. Currently have a blackberry bold. But now going with three on iPhone.

21. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

Whats happened to the BT openzone web page on the iphone.. Before it used to ask for your mobile number and it connected,.. Now on the web page, there is no place to put your number..

22. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'm pretty sure before the iP4 was released they stated how much data and wifi you got, it was either 500, 750 or 1GB. I can't quite remember, but it was there for everyone to see.

23. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

On O2 you had a choice of 500MB data (Cheaper plans) and 750MB data (More expensive plans)

But ALL tarriffs had Unlimited UK Wi-Fi.

24. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Really? I thought the wifi you got was the same as the data you got? :confused: