Carrier O2 (UK) will not have 5s launch day stock in stores - will any network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dhlittle, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Dhlittle, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Dhlittle macrumors member

According to O2's twitter, they will not have any stock of iPhone 5s in stores on Fri 20th. It will be "available to order" only with no indication of when that order will be fulfilled. Days? Weeks? Months?

Three seem to be saying they will have launch day stock.

Any information from other networks?

UPDATE 16/9/2013 14:47:
    O2 - no stock in-stores on 20th
    Three - now unsure, recommending phoning local stores to check closer to the time
    Vodafone - no information available
    EE - unsure, recommending checking with local stores

2. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Vodafone's Online Representatives are saying the same. You will only be able to order in store on Friday not purchase.

Turning out to be a really crappy launch!

Also EE online representatives are asking you to check with your closest store.

3. dspalton macrumors 6502a

:mad:
    That sucks

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Does it matter?

Just go to your local Apple store and pick one up on Friday.

5. dspalton, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013

dspalton macrumors 6502a

On the business lease it upgrades every 12 months but it has to be via the ****ing network

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

My 'local' Apple store is just over 100 miles away.

Thanks though.

I'll be ordering online, I'm hoping they have stock ready and offer a fast delivery option.

7. Dhlittle thread starter macrumors member

It matters because I wanted to pay for it over the contract period rather than having to stump up £639 upfront.

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Is 100 miles really too far to travel to get your hands on the 5s on launch day? I've travelled more than 300 miles in the past to get the 3GS. And I would do the same this week to make sure I got the 5s if that's what I needed to do. This day only comes around once a year afterall.

Sorry to hear that. I prefer to buy upfront because over the longhaul you definitely save money.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well at least for those with the choice of an Apple store, you know which queue to get in Friday:apple:

10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

If you want to go with O2 then place your order and wait. No big deal.

----------

Don't you have the internet where you live? When pre-order is available you normally get it on release day and for the 5S if you order Friday you should get it Monday.

Driving those distances just because you are impatient is utter madness.

11. Dhlittle thread starter macrumors member

You're right, it isn't a big deal, however it is certainly annoying. As of now O2 have no information about when these orders will be fulfilled, it could conceivably be weeks. Also, I happen to be off work on Friday, if I have to order for home delivery, I'll almost certainly be out when they try to deliver it and will then have to pick it up from the delivery centre, which is miles away.

Therefore if it is available on launch day in store with another network, I would strongly consider moving :)

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

13. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Yes it is. Dependent on Software update via Apple.

14. Dhlittle thread starter macrumors member

No, not at the moment. Apparently a software update from Apple will sort that out but not expected until November.

Having said that, I have no interest in 4G if I have to pay extra for it. 3G suits me just fine.

15. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

I too am off on Friday and will have the same issue with delivery whilst I am at work.

Three said they will have stock in on the 20th however they have reversed that and are now saying we are hoping to have stock on the 20th.

No real clarity from any of the carriers.

16. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

100 miles on a motorway is no problem - I live 100 miles for Heathrow and I drive there quite often - but the same distance on A roads would be a pain.

Not sure the deliveries will be on Monday unless the couriers are working over the weekend, they might be but I don't think that is a given right now.

17. Dhlittle thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Three seem to be stepping back from promises of stock on 20th. I suspect no networks will have stock on 20th and the only place to get the 5s will be an Apple store. I hope there will be a bit more clarity as the week progresses.

18. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Maybe thats why they are not stocking it.

EE will push it hard no doubt.

19. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Doesn't really explain why Vodafone won't allow in-store purchases on the 20th.

But I hope you are right about EE as their plans look quite appealing.

20. Dhlittle thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did wonder about this. Maybe they won't stock it until 4G is activated, but that could be a long wait.

21. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, signs point to disappointing global availibility of 5S on launch day.

22. JonLa macrumors 6502

Surely this strongly suggests that the lack of preorders reflects constrained supply of the 5s?

23. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Buy from an apple store. They can do carrier upgrades and new contracts. So no need to stump up the full ammount.

You have to buy in store though. Online is unlocked only.

24. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I'm guessing Apple have changed their instore policy then?

I'm currently on a 4S, but when I bought my 3GS that was directly from Apple and they asked me who I wanted as my carrier and what plan I wanted to go on.

I can't remember whether they had the full choice of options, but I found one that suited me and walked out with the phone.

EDIT: Seems some Mercenary beat me to it :)

25. Azy macrumors regular

Some of us have to purchase directly from carriers for EAP schemes and such. I'm getting a bit bored of the secrecy coming from carriers about the launch. We are no days away from the launch of the 5S and I still don't known where I can it and how much it's going to cost me from Vodafone! Even on Vodafones one forums they're not saying anything about anything