OAP loses £16,000 in e-mail scam

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shaun.P, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Original Article Link

I have never heard of someone falling for these scams! Very unfortunate for the woman involved :(.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can't really blame her for falling for it, though. The large, large majority of people outside of these forums know less about the internet, and its dangers, than us. Add to the fact that she's 80 years old and has only embraced the internet for a short time near the end of her life, and the dangers of the internet are probably quite foreign to her. Sure, the "Enlarge your Penis" junk mail is obviously a scam, but things like phishing for your bank details does pose a real danger to people who haven't gotten used to this new world of danger.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

HOW IRONIC! I inherited €5.5 million when one of my relatives died in a plane crash in Egypt!

......It's sad that people send out scams like this and it's even more sad people fall for them.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I had an email sent from someone claiming they had a job offer for me if I wanted it (I've signed up for several jobs websites) however, the email said if I wanted the job I'd have to send over a form of ID as well as my bank details.

Nice to know that totaljobs, retailchoice.com or reed.co.uk has given out my details to god knows how many sources despite ticking the box saying they shouldn't.

EDIT: since typing this I've just recieved another asking me if i want to earn up to $4000 a month.... :|

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Concordes crashed all the time. That's why they stopped flying.

:confused:

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Errrrrmmmm?

8. sananda macrumors 68020

once.

9. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

While I haven't received any actual phishing e-mails with this new technique, my work sent out a message concerning them. I guess they are now sending a message saying to call an 800 number to reset your information. Of course, the 800 number is a fabrication by the scammers to collect your information.

They just stay one step ahead...

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I feel bad for this lady, but how do people keep falling for these scams... :rolleyes: :eek: :(

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*woosh*