Obama administration dropped charges against Black Panthers intimidating voters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Full of Win, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...kd-panther-reversal/?feat=home_cube_position1

Lets step back here a minute and think, if these gentlemen were wearing white robes, pointy hats, and swastikas in a black neighborhood…would the decision have been different?

No matter which side of the spectrum you find yourself, look at this video and truthfully answer this question.

http://www.youtube.com/v/neGbKHyGuHU&hl=en&fs=1&

The attitude of this administration is moving into the hate zone more and more every day.:( I guess this is the change we needed. :rolleyes:

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

oh here we go. So this is the form of attack now, make it out to seem that the first black president in history is actually a racist?

So this was that far up the list after questioning his citizen status?, interesting

3. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Read the article, the facts are the facts. Sorry that they do not look good for him, but it is what it is.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Anyone can cherry pick events and set a story to them, this is the status quo over at the GOP. :rolleyes:

5. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Your arguments, which in no way address the question at hand, are quite tired.

Personally, ANYONE, no matter their race, creed, religious affiliation...whatever, stands outside a polling place with a club like this needs to be brought before a jury of their peers. Too many have suffered for an unfettered right to vote to let this pass as the Obama administration has chosen to do. I guess we will have to agree to disagree about this point.

God Bless America!

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Assuming this story is legitimate (which might be a big assumption, I haven't checked into it yet), he's not doing himself any favors after his comments on Gates' arrest.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree

no it isnt

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Acquitting them is bad enough. Acquitting them without releasing the reasons is even worse. Hopefully there's more to the story or you guys might actually have to participate in democracy in ways above and beyond putting stickers on you car and posting on the internet.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Very true.

They should be punished. Letting them off the hook just increases the power to the "white power" groups like the KKK.

This I feel is just unexceptionable

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The article -- which it is important to point out is not from the mainstream media, but a right-wing newspaper -- fails to point out the reasons the DOJ cited for dropping the case.

Without that information, there is no way to draw any kind of reasonable conclusions regarding this incident. It follows, then, that the idea that this is part of some kind of "hate plot" on the part of the Obama administration is ludicrous.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it does provide the reason. It was "executive privileges" or something along those lines

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My mistake, it's there -- five pages in.

I still don't get the cause-and-effect here. How does the Philly cops ordering one man away and leaving the other one alone = the Obama administration moving into a hate zone?

13. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Stop with this. I'm sick of reading/hearing it every single time Obama does something republicans don't agree with. It stopped being funny/clever the 92566758th time it was said, now it's just annoying as hell. Had McCain won the election, would you have liked it if we posted "Country First :rolleyes:" every time he did something that benefitted himself? "McCain ate food while there are starving childred all over America, so much for Country First :rolleyes:"

14. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

1. Just because someone leaves after committing a crime does not make it a non-crime.

2. The Obama administration "reversed course" on this despicable act is how it is moving into the "hate zone". A professional in voting rights had recommended action against this disgrace.... but attorney General Thomas J. Perrelli, the No. 3 official in the Obama Justice Department KILLED IT!!!

By the way, lets be clear on one thing - CIVIL RIGHT LAWS PROTECT EVERY COLOR OF PERSON. Can we agree on this?

Scandalous!!!! This spits in the face of every American!

15. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

Nothing to fear...

any attempts by the Government to take over the Country will be met by our well-regulated Militia!

16. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Are you talking about the National Guard?

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I think it's important to note the reasons as cited by Thomas Veil and the Washington Times article, the offending parties had already been cited with an injunction, the cops did not arrest the offender and allowed one member of the party to stay, and the local chapter was disavowed by the party.

So, what could the prosecution gain by continuing their case? What's the actual punishment for such an act?

Absolutely, and the case in question was absolutely a case of intimidation. However, my honest question is what's to be gained by continuing the case at a federal level? Are you so incensed because of the crime or because it's yet another arrow to fire at an administration you so clearly despise?

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sure. But I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion that Obama is displaying some sort of pattern of racial hate. I'm not even going to assume that Obama knew about the case, much less tried to affect the outcome one way or another.

And everyone knows cases are made or broken based on how carefully evidence is gathered and charges made. From what's in the article, it seems the organization may not have known about what these guys were doing, and the lack of more decisive action on the part of the Philadelphia police may have been enough to weaken the government's case against the men.

Finally, top justice officials at the city, county, state and federal levels have limited resources and therefore pick and choose every day which cases they deem worth their time to prosecute, and which can be handled in other ways. Without evidence of wrongdoing on the DOJ's part, I'm not going to second guess them.

I note too that almost no other media sources have picked up on this "story". Probably for much the same reasons I cited above.

19. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

For full disclosure, here is the complaint

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/voting/misc/philadelphia_bpp_comp.php

The Goverment was asking for "(1)Award Plaintiff the costs and disbursements associated with the filing and maintenance of this action; (2) Award such other equitable and further relief as the Court deems just and proper" before the Obama administration dropped the whole matter. What is the point? To punish them financially, so they do not do this in the future. Make it so expensive and troublesome that they will think twice before pulling out the clubs and asking for identification and acting as "security". Is that so hard to understand? Why continue it... to set that standard that voter intimidation will NOT BE TOLERATED. What was done by the Obama administration was akin to a slap on the wrist, with a wink and a nod.

Why am I angry? Well, it seems that many in the media turns a blind eye to discrimination and intimidation if the persons so aggrieved happen to be white.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'd argue that this has already been done. The local chapter closed, the national chapter has disavowed them, the one member was given a legal injunction making him unable to do this again without serious prosecution.

The media didn't cover the story, so much I think, because it was three idiots in one precinct during a period of dozens of other major stories. It was a non-event and you can't expect the media to cover everything.

The Obama administration, I think, should have continued their prosecution but it would have incurred significant expense while doing very little to really protect voters. How much energy did you expend thinking about possible voter fraud and intimidation during the 2004 election when the Republican party invalidating the votes of nearly 35,000 people using a process called "caging?"
    Personally, I find both acts to be dangerous attempts to subvert democracy, but I'm certainly going to write about 35,000 people being disenfranchised before I worry about three idiots in Philly.

21. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Given the ugly nature of what the likely did, I think they should be prosecuted to the FULL extent to law…with emphasis on the last four words before the ellipse. In other words, throw the book at them!

This is NOT the extent of the law; this is letting them off easy. It sends a wrong message, a very wrong message.

Moreover, lets not kid ourselves here. If they were white wearing pointy hats, and doing the same thing; they would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law… like they should be.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So what exactly have you done to let the government know your thoughts? I assume you've written a pretty hefty email outlining your thoughts on the matter given the energy you've devoted to it here. How about posting it for others to read/use to complain as well? It'd be good to read :).

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm sorry, but the Black Panthers are not the equivalent to the Ku Klux Klan and any attempt to make them equal is dishonest in its intent. The Black Panthers, though dangerous and stupid, does not have a century-long history of terrorist activities resulting in the deaths of hundreds of black men, women, and children. The KKK bombed churches, lynched men, and murdered dozens while creating an arc of fear that continues to this very day.

They are not equivalent.

24. BPresley321 macrumors regular

I won't go so far as to say this is moving Obama and his administration into the "hate zone" but this is undoubtedly ridiculous and Thomas J. Perrelli acted stupidly.

25. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Sir, I disagree - HATE IS HATE. I don't hold a color tainted view, as you seeming do. ANY person, be they white, black, green, orange - who uses violence or the threat of violence is WRONG Again, HATE IS HATE!. Also, using your logic, what if the KKK members formed a new group called the ZZZ, by your logic, since they are not conneced to the KKK, they we should some how give them more leeway in such matters? Please :eek:

How about this - we judge people based on their actions! I know, crazy is it not?

By the way, here is another witness, who also ran Robert Kennedy's 1968 Presidential campaign and has experience as a civil rights attorney. Watch what he has to day about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BemSmTNDxU