Obama administration spied on German media as well as its government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 13, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/03/politics/germany-media-spying-obama-administration/index.html
    we interfere on their elections and spy on them as well, then cry if they do it to us...........

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Obama being Obama

Brennan: nothing to see here folks... Treasonous Orange Man Bad.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

We knew the NSA/CIA spied on Merkel years ago. Hell, they got caught spying on THEIR OWN OVERSIGHT IN CONGRESS and nothing happened about it.

These agencies are the biggest threat to our own democracy, period. They’re completely unaccountable, have their own army and Air Force, and the civilian control that is allegedly in charge of them clearly isn’t.

“Let me tell you: You take on the intelligence community — they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you," said Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer

Brennan should have been in jail long before even the Obama administration.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

5. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Pompeo just got caught alluding to plans to interfered in the U.K. elections to ensure Corbyn doesn’t become PM.

Americans are astoundingly stupid when it comes to world events. We have no problem turning a willfully blind eye on the coups, election tampering, and assasinations we have and are currently attempting all around the world, yet we cry when someone has the gall to stand up to us now and again. Nationalistic patriotism is a cancer on the world.

6. LordVic macrumors 603

How would you recommend putting reasonable checks and balances on those agencies? (legit question).

One way many other nations do it is by having layers of beurocracy that forces these agencies to account for and public servants tend to oversea (with the judiciary) that the security agencies aren't violating the consitutional rights of people.

However, This is growing government. Something that gets extremely vocal strong opposition to.

Is shrinking these agencies, or eliminating them then the reasonable answer? if so, how do you protect your borders, people or own security without them?

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

And Italian elections too (this was at a critical moment due to a critical referendum):

Obama endorses 'Yes' Renzi referendum vote
    https://gazzettadelsud.it/speciali/...um-vote-13a2e96e-f0c3-4026-bde3-c1e0ac87ffa8/

"A 'Yes' victory could help Italy, Obama told reporters at a
    press conference after meeting with Renzi at the White House.
    The American president added he is "rooting for" Renzi, and
    said Italy's young reformist premier should remain in politics
    no matter what the outcome of the referendum."

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I don’t have any answers to this.

All I know is that there was a president in the past that wanted to completely destroy the CIA. He’s not with us anymore.

9. TETENAL macrumors regular

10. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

As long as they’re aren’t commies, we’ll support them.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I had to double take. For a second I thought I time warped to 2015 and Obama was still President. It was refreshing.

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

He went a lot further than that with the Israeli elections. He and his supporters ought to be ashamed and embarrassed with the way he treated some of our closest allies(publicly & privately).

The “mainstream media” played along like the lemmings they are as well. Its such a relief that he has no official capacity anymore.

13. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Screw them. They hold disproportionate sway here. I'm happy Obama didn't kiss their ass.

14. hawkeye_a, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Non-interference in the democracies of allies is too much to ask?

If it was appropriate for him to do it, well, then i guess President Trump can do so as well. :cool:

15. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

They hold disproportionate sway here. They should stay out of our politics. When Yahu was angry at Obama I knew Obama was doing something right. Screw them.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

But Obama was a-ok to meddle in their politics? Dizzy yet?

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Did Russia help Trump win? Trump gaffed and admitted it lol. What, you missed it? Weren't paying attention?

18. hawkeye_a, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

So President Trump can “interfere” in elections as well then? Just so we’re clear thats theres no double standard you’re applying here.

19. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I set up the bomb, and you and raqball stepped on it LOL.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Deflection noted

21. samcraig macrumors P6

No deflection. The article you posted was from 2015. And I miss Obama being president. I know that's hard for you to understand.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Well yes there is a deflection, it's just coming from the OP to deflect from the Trump threads.

23. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

You didn’t address the articles content.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

That's not deflection.

25. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, wether it's a smart diplomatic move to voice it is another question but just saying "I like x or y to win" is nowhere near meddling.

Spying on allied nations or the press is bad style but it's again not meddling.

Covert actions to stir certain sentiments, blackmailing candidates or releasing damning info at the perfect time, thats meddling. Even more if that info was gathered by spying (and it really doesn't matter at this point wether your doing it at home or in a foreign country).