Obama Administration Steals $3 Billion From The Treasury To Fund Obamacare Kickbacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...billion-in-obamacare-payments/article/2560739

Pretty much par for the course for this administration. The utter disregard for the Constitutional process (by bypassing the appropriations process and stealing the money) is no longer shocking.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope this isn't true because total bullcrap.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Four pages into a Google search and I can't find anything on it other than right wing sites. Me thinks there's more to this story.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or you mean less.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1677155/paul-ryan-response-re-csrs.txt

It's in the bill that it has to be paid.

6. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

7. mudslag, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The payments are mandated via the bill passed, they fall outside of the annual appropriations process and given we are way passed the session it was passed under, it's considered permanent now.

Source - The Senate website

8. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

That isn't how the budget process works. It still must be appropriated by Congress. I think the justification is laughable. I hope you realize that Social Security is also not 'permanent' and can be taken away from you at any given moment.

Anyways, the Congressional Research Service also disagrees with you so I don't know what else to say.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Then take the issue up with congress, they passed the bill knowing what was asked and passed the rule regarding permanent appropriation. As for Paul Ryan asking for a reason, the treasury department sent him one.

10. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes. You are correct as both HHS and CRS disagree with you. LOL.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So basically it comes down to how both sides view it as. Which will end up having congress or the courts left to work out the dispute. In the end this prob wont be anything more then another rabble rabble rabble from Ryan. LOL

12. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't ascribe to either party but wait for the hilarity when you party is not in power.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

First off I never claimed you did, though it is funny how quickly you jumped to defend your non affiliation when none was even suggested. Second Im more then aware that politics is nothing more then a seesaw, both sides take turn at the top and bottom. It's pretty much expected given this countries divided political leanings.

14. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

So the treasury cannot defend their allocation of $3 billion which should be disturbing to anyone.

15. kds1 Suspended

kds1

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sure, the Republicans would love to shut it down, despite the fact that the Social Security Trust Fund is at $2.789 Trillion (up from $2.6T in 2010 -- still going up, although, it is flattening out and should start to decline next year). Only the nut wing could claim that Social Security is "going broke".

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/assets.html

[​IMG]

Back on topic. Congress decided long ago to set these self-funded social insurance programs up for continued operation. These are quite different from, for example, DoD appropriations, which are required by the Constitution to be constantly re-authorized.

Come to think of it, the way it is phrased, it looks like the two-year clause only applies to the Army and not the Navy. I never noticed that before.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Technically they did as per the letter they sent Ryan, whether or not it's accepted is another matter but it was defended.

18. dsnort, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015

dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Oh, there's a different set of rules then! ( Have you noticed how Harry Reid et al has rediscovered their love of the filibuster they nuked last year?)

Yes yes, move along, nothing to see here but a stonewall.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They never nuked it for legislation.

20. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

No, they didn't. I just find it some what humorous how Harry has been saying, basically, "I hope the new majority leader doesn't do to me and my party like I've been doing to them for the last 6 years". Not that he need to worry, a newborn babe could outmaneuver McConnell 'cause it still has a spine.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

Waste tens of billions on a plane, no big deal...it's defense!!!

Spend a few billion on citizens healthcare...OUTRAGE!!!!

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What exactly is your point? Filibuster against bills was never banned. And majority leaders always complain about it to an extent.

24. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

3 points:

1.) That you are correct, the Dems did not nuke filibuster for legislation.

2.) Harry Reid is a hypocrite, ( he's not the only one). The hypocrisy will continue as long as we ignore it.

3.) Mitch McConnell has no spine. If it's a principal, fight for it. If you won't fight for it, it's not a principal, it's a wish. ( I wish I was that type of person).

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Thank you. I was looking for that but couldn't find it.

I'm still confused about some of the finer points. The issue is actually pretty subtle, and, I could easily imagine that the next President will be in office before it is settled.