Obama administration to allow Haitians in US illegally to remain

May 8, 2008
Link and/or source?

If this is the case I will be extremely pissed. This is more than just a simple immigration concern but a national security concern as well.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Link

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration says it will allow Haitians already in the U.S. illegally to remain because of this week's catastrophic earthquake.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano granted the temporary protected status on Friday.

The protection is only available to Haitians already in the country as of last Tuesday.

On Wednesday, Napolitano temporarily halted deportations of Haitians, even those already in detention.

Temporary protected status is granted to foreigners who may not be able to return safely to their country because of a natural disaster, armed conflict or other reasons.
maybe it's because this is what makes sense? What else are you supposed to do?

"Hey, looks, I know we are having a hard time even just landing planes with aid supplies, but I really need you to halt your rescue efforts and figure out how to land this plane because we need to drop off all the people who came to the U.S. illegally in their home country where they won't have little chance of finding shelter, food and water. M'kay?"

Uh, no...

The admin. didn't grant them amnesty, they are just doing what is logical.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Let them stay as long as they need to (within reasonable limits of course).

Why the OP fails to see any gray area in this situation is very worrying.

They are black, not devils. If Haiti was a country of cute white blonde girls, Fox news and the extreme right conservatives would be all over it (coverage etc).

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Let them stay as long as they need to (within reasonable limits of course).

Why the OP fails to see any gray area in this situation is very worrying.

They are black, not devils. If Haiti was a country of cute white blonde girls, Fox news and the extreme right conservatives would be all over it (coverage etc).
That's out of line. Illegal is illegal, and conservatives have always taken hard stances against illegal immigration, regardless of race. You comment is out in left field (pun intended).

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
If this is the case I will be extremely pissed. This is more than just a simple immigration concern but a national security concern as well.
It's so dangerous, you must be terrified. Not only are they probably poisoning your lawn, they are also undoubtedly practising voodoo on your women.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Stick them on one of the many planes or ships leaving the US as we type.
Yes, airspace, fuel and space on the ground at the airport is at a premium, as well as food, water and shelter so let's take up valuable cargo space in the plane so we can fly some Haitians back home and add some more people to feed with the already strained relief supplies. :rolleyes: Got any other great ideas?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
It's a temporary situation. What's the big deal? It makes sense.

What is wrong with you people? I'm serious- what has happened in your lives to make you such angry, spiteful human beings?

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
That's out of line. Illegal is illegal, and conservatives have always taken hard stances against illegal immigration, regardless of race. You comment is out in left field (pun intended).
Sorry for the comment.

I was meaning to make a comment on the relative attention be paid to the country by some conservatives based on race. It's the same old saying that when a small black child goes missing no ones cares in the media but a white blonde girls goes missing and it's treated (sadly) as a much bigger deal.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry for the comment.

I was meaning to make a comment on the relative attention be paid to the country by some conservatives based on race. It's the same old saying that when a small black child goes missing no ones cares in the media but a white blonde girls goes missing and it's treated (sadly) as a much bigger deal.
It doesn't need to be about race at all. That was my point.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I also think they should be allowed to stay temporarily, I'd say no longer than a year. After that, the government should go back to whatever policy they were using before the earthquake. Sending them back right now would only compound the problem in Haiti.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
They are just frightened. Don't make it worse by criticising them for their perfectly understandable sociopathic tendencies.
I'm calling it like I see it. I have never seen so much hatred and bile spewed as I have since this earthquake happened. It makes me sick.

I am very much against illegal immigration, but this is just plain disgusting.

I also think they should be allowed to stay temporarily, I'd say no longer than a year. After that, the government should go back to whatever policy they were using before the earthquake. Sending them back right now would only compound the problem in Haiti.
It's already been established that this is temporary. Unfortunately, the OP could not be bothered to research that fact.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Just when you think the right-wing can't stoop any lower. I bet they're dancing in the streets thinking of all those Haitians dying. That'll teach them for being poor, eh? :rolleyes: