Obama Afghanistan Plan Panned By Both Sides

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 23, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Talk about a disappointment. So we'll bring home the 30,000 "surge" troops within 15 months and still have twice as many troops there than Bush did.

Obama, you now own this quagmire.

[​IMG]

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The costs for all these useless wars is coming home, time to close bases and bring home the troops all over the world and build our country up instead of muslim american hating countrys. What a freaking waste of our tax dollars..

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I would prefer to bring most of the troops home, however I understand that if its a complete pull out the Taliban may return to power.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They are in power, 3/4 of the country is Taliban. Its funny all the $$$ thrown down the drain in Iraq and Afghanistan and Bin Laden was in Pakistan for years and years.

5. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll believe it when I see it. We've been there 10 years already. Enough is enough. I don't care how much training we do, the Taliban or some facsimile will be back.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its not that there back they live there, they are Afghanistan. Lets go rebuild America instead of wasting endless money there. If those people dont want independence from their own religion nothing can be done. We cant fight this war for them until they throw away the book of hate.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The only lesson is, we never learn our lessons. Afghanistan has swallowed armies since armies first began venturing there. Nothing has changed.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The Taliban will return eventually no matter what. We probably could keep troops there indefinitely and keep them away. But the cost of doing so will eventually cause the US to fall apart at which point the troops will have to find their own way home and the Taliban will come back. What I wish Obama would do would be to tell the top generals to get all of our troops out before the end of his term and allow them to come up with the best way to do that while limiting additional casualties.

11. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Obama is trying to get the soldiers out of there because we're gonna need them in other areas soon.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

We need 'em home. :)

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

When neither side likes what you are doing, you are generally doing the right thing. Better than pandering to 1/2 the population.

You may not like the policy, but at least support the troops. :D

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The conservatives were right, we repealed DADT and now all of the troops turned gay :p

15. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? 10 years into this mess and when the 30,000 surge troops are withdrawn, we will have twice the number of troops than Bush did. I'm sure contractors, at much greater expense than soldiers, will take their place.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The only really positive move by Obama is the promise to ultimately withdraw. Republicans attack Obama for fighting in Libya on financial and constitutional grounds but do not use the same arugments for Afghanistan. That is hypocrisy, so I have to discount their criticisms in this matter as disingenuous.

On the other hand, the military are resisting a rapid withdrawl and while I agree that a gradual drawdown is probably best, there are some brass who are simply trying to prolong things as much as possible.

We own it. I would like to see a more rapid withdrawl, but dumping all the responsibility on Obama is very unfair.