Obama anyone?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Dec 11, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I honestly think that Obama has a very good shoot at getting the democratic nomination right now. He has dramatically risen in the polls for in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. Hope he manages to beat that sorry excuse for a candidate Hillary Clinton.

My prediction for 2008 is Obama/Biden running against Huckabee/McCaine

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it is possible he could win it. If not, he is very likely to get the VP nod from Hiliary.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I HOPE he wins it. Taking a VP nod from Hillary would taint his reputation forever I'm afraid.

Do you think they have odds for that in Vegas?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Possibly, but the Dems would have a field day with two minorities running for the President and Vice President.

They have odds for everything in Vegas!

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

thats as recent as i could find.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If I press down, back, down, high punch, will he execute the Blade Fury?

I'm just looking for a little Mortal Kombat out of my candidates.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He'd be crazy to take VP slot. Better to stay a Senator.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not really. It is very difficult to get elected as a Senator. When was the last time a Senator was elected President? Kennedy was the last elected from the Senate in 1961. Nixon was a Senator from 1950-1953, and was elected President in 1969.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/senators_became_president.htm

You have a better chance getting elected if you have been a Governor. Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush (43) were all Governors before they were elected President.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Nixon was also a VP from '53-61;) Took him quite a fight to get it too. Checkers anyone?

Yup, governors are more successful because they can claim various prior programs to their credit. Senators can't really claim they've done much aside from push rhetoric. One of the few reasons Kennedy won was because he was telegenic, and because he had LBJ to bring in the South (and Mayor Daly to stuff ballot boxes). Even so it was a very narrow win.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I mean if Obama can't hit the top of the ticket now, he'll probably stay in the Senate. Who wants to be the VP of the USA versus being a Senator. Cheney spends half his time being hustled into bunkers, eh?

And it's not like being Vice Prez is actually such a great jumping off point any more for the Presidency later on. Just ask Al Gore.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The voting record of Senators gets held against them much more than anything comparable that governors do.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It was for Bush (41). He is the last non-governor elected in at least 30 years.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's likely way more FUN to be a Senator, that's all I'm sayin'.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It is actually. Of the last several VPs that have run, most have been successful at becoming president at some point. McKinley's VP was Theodore Roosevelt, and he was elected in his own right. Roosevelt's VP, Taft, became president after that. FDR's last VP was Truman, and Truman also won an election in his own right. Ike's VP was Nixon, and Nixon eventually won in '68. Kennedy's VP was Johnson, and Johnson won in his own right in '64. Reagan's VP was Bush, and Bush won in '88. Even Gore technically won the popular vote in 2000. VP is a pretty decent spot to be in if you have ambitions.

No, that's not what you said.

And secondly, VPs do almost nothing. What could be more fun than doing whatever you wanted? ;) :p

15. pooky macrumors 6502

Ouch... Huckabee, considered a major candidate, has longer odds than Al Gore!

16. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I watched the video of Obama speaking at Google. For a Democrat I like his ideas. He has some refreshing new thoughts on government.

But I'm not really in favor of the Democratic ideas. It just sounds like more taxes I'll have to pay - I'd rather pay high taxes in Europe ;)

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Exactly, which is why it's useful for a Senator running for president to not have served long in the Senate. JFK had only served two terms when he ran, IIRC. Beyond that, it's all baggage. Clinton is still trying to explain her vote for the Iraq resolution. Good luck with that.

I'm still not completely convinced that Obama is the best candidate on the Democratic side, but I find myself becoming excited by the renewed possibility of him being nominated. We'd find out something about the country is a hurry if he ran, that's for sure.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, unless you're making far above around $200,000 a year, even then actually, you're taxes probably won't change much based on their current plans. But you will get more for what has to be paid, again based on their current plans. And probably a reduction in our debt. Kerry made a point of saying a lot of the social programs he wanted would have to be cut, and most of the current nominees have made similar comments, in order to reduce our deficit.

Hasn't she only been a Senator since 2000? If elected, she wouldn't even have served 2 terms. But she should be held accountable for that, she bandwaggoned just like everyone else.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, yes. Also makes it tough for Clinton to prove the case that she's more seasoned and experienced.

Taking a longer view, it seems likely that the Democrats will make history next year, one way or another.

20. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I doubt it. Our country moves too slowly on this sort of thing to swallow both a woman *and* a minority on the ticket. Either one will need a good old fashioned white male to balance out the ticket for the general consumption.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obama! Hell yes! Hillary is looking to come in third behind Edwards! Maybe this country still has hope!

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't know about that just yet, Huckabee is the Republican winner.

Ick.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huckabee is a dream candidate for us. Read what he is about. He divides Republicans like nobody, except maybe Giuliani.