Obama Authorizes Airstrikes in Syria as Part of

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
a 'Comprehensive and Sustained' Strategy
President Obama is authorizing U.S. airstrikes in Syria, senior administration officials say, as the president used a prime-time address to the nation Wednesday to call for a comprehensive campaign to wipe out Islamic State terrorists “wherever they exist.”

The administration is not giving a timeframe for when the expanded airstrikes will begin. But officials said the militants operate freely across both sides of the Iraq-Syria border, and the U.S. cannot be restrained by that border in going after the organization.

Until now, U.S. airstrikes have been limited to northern Iraq. Obama is vowing to now lead a “broad coalition’ against the militant group.
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/09/10/obama-authorizes-airstrikes-syria-part-comprehensive-and-sustained-strategy

we had no business in Libya & sure as hell not Syria.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I see. And what term would you care to use to describe the act of bombing another country?

Just curious; I have a deep interest in and study closely how language is used in such circumstances and - ah - contexts….
Perhaps the battery in your Ironimeter™ is flat. I took the inclusion of the "US" to be a clue...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Perhaps the battery in your Ironimeter™ is flat. The inclusion of the "US" might be a clue...
Sometimes, the use of words in such settings goes well beyond the capacity of irony to keep pace in attempting to describe what is happening with any desire of……accuracy…..

My 'Ironimeter' battery may well be flat, - indeed, I suspect that it is - but I expect to hear terms such as "Intervention", "Targeted Assistance" and similar before too long. After 'Freedom Fries' made an appearance on menus, I'm afraid that my Ironimeter baulked a bit at some of the fresh linguistic challenges presented…..

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Bombing another country without their agreement is an act of war. No two ways about it.
You think Assad wasn't contacted in advance?

This is dirty wars, and politics are playing out behind the scenes.

Air strikes? With what assets on the ground calling the plays? Rebels? Hell no.

CIA + Special forces + combat controllers + Syrian military security detail sounds about right.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Bombing another country without their agreement is an act of war. No two ways about it.
That is not very patriotic of you, you have been reported to the NSA, the NDAA extraction team is on its way to intercept you.
we managed to bomb Libya w/o calling it war.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Interesting. Obama has just effectively declared war on Syria. This should go well.
I see. And what term would you care to use to describe the act of bombing another country?

Just curious; I have a deep interest in and study closely how language is used in such circumstances and - ah - contexts….
I do believe that the use of POLICE ACTION is an accepted way of getting round the BAD word of WAR.:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_action

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
A rose by any other name smells just as sweet. Or rank.
we sent "freedumb" bombs to Libya. we are doing nothing here but the will of the Syrian people , Assad must go so we can install the muslim brotherhood like we did in Libya & assure ourselves plenty of terrorist so we can continue to be at war forever.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
we sent "freedumb" bombs to Libya. we are doing nothing here but the will of the Syrian people , Assad must go so we can install the muslim brotherhood like we did in Libya & assure ourselves plenty of terrorist so we can continue to be at war forever.
What a depressing prognosis. Unfortunately, it contains far too many…….possibly accurate……….scenarios…...

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

Only Congress can declare war. So technically, it's not a war, but a police action based on the President's authority as the commander-in-chief of the military (Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Constitution).

Just like how the Vietnam War was a police action, because congress never formally declared war. Police action. War. Same thing IMO.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Good Frackin Grief people. It's a WAR.

No need to debate it endlessly..Common sense should tell you when one country bombs a different country they have made it a war.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Good Frackin Grief people. It's a WAR.

No need to debate it endlessly..Common sense should tell you when one country bombs a different country they have made it a war.

Technically, we're not bombing a country but a stateless terror group. But yeah, it's a war.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Technically, the bombs will be landing in a country.
its ok as long as they are not landing in the U.S.; what are they going to do? do something crazy like fly a plane into our buildings? come in as refugee's & put bombs during a marathon? that will NEVER happen. you GOT to LOVE our foreign policy, arm the rebels, then bomb the rebels, then remove dictators from office just to put in other dictators in place, pacification by force , love it, anyone who disagrees should be in GITMO getting water boarded as they might be terrorist.

Last edited: