Obama Bans Gimmicks, and Deficit Will Rise

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think we would all agree that this represents a significant change (maybe even one you can believe in) from past administrations:
    The question is, how long will it take before some conservative looking to score political points tries to compare the Obama deficit numbers to the Bush numbers without accounting for Bush's fuzzy math? I'm guessing it happens pretty fast...

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

it's going to happen really fast, starting in this forum.. lol. I do find it real interesting how people seem to forget that Bush tried the stimulus check thing and it didn't work, and then the $700 billion package which didn't work the way they thought it would. But everyone latches onto Obama's $787 billion and they all know it won't work because they are all economic scholars who just haven't found the right opportunity to run for government office to make the changes they say will work...

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, to be fair, it did have a measurable effect, but i wasn't the solution it was promised to be.

What it did do was push off the inevitable label of an economy in recession (as measured by two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth) until after the November elections. Didn't help the GOP, but that doesn't mean they didn't try.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In all fairnesss we should also look at clintons numbers as well.

I willing to bet that his surpose also came from some fuzzy numbers as well.

Presidents for years have been using fuzzy numbers get the budget less than it really is and to cover up spending.

It would be nice to see the US try to get to a balance budget.

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Good for Obama. Those are significant changes, and not ones that come without political liability.

I'll be truly impressed if he starts excluding the Social Security surplus from the general budget projections.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hell, I'm amazed it hasn't happened already!

7. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

He'll ban four, and add ten. That's just the way politics seems to work nowadays.:(

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, if he does that, he's a brave man. I wonder how low the surplus will be by the end of the year?

9. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

"That's just the way things are" has to be one of the most abused statements of the century.

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Who cares? The "trust fund" will keep SS in the black until 2050! ;)

Serioiusly, we are so f'd.