Obama, Biden Voted For Bridge to Nowhere ... Twice

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Sep 24, 2008.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

CNN

Ooops.

2. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Isn't one of the only policy issues that Sarah Palin talks about the "thanks, but no thanks" lie? Is Biden running on the theme "I voted against the Bridge to Nowhere?" I must have missed those ads.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Yes, but that was before they voted against it and kept the money anyway. ;)

Funny, I dont see where it says they lied about it... ???
    Oooops! (I added an extra "o" )

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's not Palin's support or lack of support for the Bridge to Nowhere that I give a crap about. It's the lies she tells about "saying thanks, but no thanks".

I don't recall hearing Biden or Obama out campaigning on the issue that they "said thanks but no thanks" to the BtN. Thus, they are not the ones lying about the issue.

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I dont subscribe to the idea that the bridge to nowhere was a pork barrel spending project.
    It was a bridge to an island with hardly anything or anybody on it. But at least it would've created jobs.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am sure the money could better spent on other projects that can create jobs and also be useful after they are done. Like infrastructure repair, etc.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Assuming palin's camp can tell the truth at all, the $200 million they kept went to Alaska's infustructure. Im not sure i buy it.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Another bridge? :D

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Actually if im not mistaken there were 2 bridges, im sure someone who knows where that article is will post it once they see this.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Of course, it's also worth mentioning that the famous "Bridge to Nowhere" was tacked onto a Transportation Bill, which included millions for other states besides Alaska.

And, McCain happened to be absent during several of the votes regarding the bill. He also missed the vote which allowed the money to be poured into Alaska's general transportation bill instead.

Finally, the stink of the "Bridge to Nowhere" should stay with Palin because of her continuous taradiddle regarding her role in the bridge's funding. There are other things to throw at Obama/Biden, but the Gravina Island Bridge is Palin's albatross.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's not the bridge itself that we're against, it's the fact she flat out LIED about being against it, when she was for it.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo. I don't see the problem here.

15. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

The problem is that people (including the Democratic ticket) attack Palin for two fundamental reasons: one being the fact that she lied about her voting record, and secondly that she voted for such an infamous pork spending bill. While they're factually correct about pointing out her lie, the lie itself wouldn't be an issue unless that vote was linked to something controversial and unnecessary...something they voted for...

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The only reason they attack her on "pork spending" (god im so sick of that stupid catchphrase) is because THAT IS WHAT THEY SAY THEY ARE AGAINST. Its not the pork spending itself, its the hypocrisy, which is an alarming trend in the GOP campaign

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

On your second point, Governor Palin was in a position to *request* this kind of pork through her political friend Sen. Stevens.

In other words, she not only asked for ham on rye, she ate it, and then has the temerity to complain about the waitress.

Now, Biden and Obama voted for a Transportation Bill, which including the bridge, but also millions for other projects in other states. Should they have voted for such a pork-laden racket? No, but they're not running around saying "thanks, but no thanks."

The right keeps trying to bunt this into the Obama camp, but it's Palin's problem.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All these guys are pawns to the corporations, think about it millions of $$$ for your campaign. Even Now Bushco is meeting with Obama & McCain behind closed doors. Who do you think makes that happen? Not Bush by himself but by the real guys in charge.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I posted a new thread on this topic with a link to the article over a week ago. Got zero comments.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

IDK ive noticed certain days PRSI just craaaaawwwwlllssss along.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Aww! Sorry IJ, we still wuv you. :)

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now cut that out. I was just wondering out loud about the sudden interest in this topic.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Heehee! I couldn't resist. Honestly, I just think it was a weird oversight.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

There we go....I haven't really looked into it, and honestly I don't think its a HUGE issue....the way Palin played it up(the whole lying part), that bothers me

25. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

well i dont think she so much lied about it, its just that her position, much like the polls, shifts withthe wind.