Obama Blatantly Lies about Uncle's Service!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, May 29, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Had to do a little digging to come up with this link.
    Barack Obama is full of crap. He told a implausible lie about his uncle's (edit) service at a campaign stop in New Mexico speaking to and insulting the intelligence of veterans.

American's did not liberate that camp, Russians did. Seems like it'd be nice to have a president who knows American history.

What a liar!
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/27/obamas_uncle_and_the_liberatio.html

Why isn't this being blasted on every station just like Hillary's Bosnia botch? Proves who has the media eating out of his hand.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Dude, read the article (unless you can't read it because you're too dizzy from all the spinning). He said the wrong camp name. Big deal.

This isn't even in the same league as "Hillary's Bosnia botch". Hillary LIED about Bosnia multiple times. She completely made up a story of her "landing under sniper fire" and saying they "had to run to their cars with their heads down" even though theirs video of her walking off the plane and having a greeting on the tarmac.

Obama simply said the wrong name of the camp.

Anyways, get over it. Obama is the nominee. Hillary lost. End of story.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While certainly an unfortunate mistake to have aired publicly as political fodder - Obama merely reference the name of the wrong concentration camp - in one instance. If he had said Buchenwald, his comment would have been historically correct - even with the mistake, the meaning remains the same to him (I would believe).

Personally, given the hyper-saturation of media coverage, I find it pretty unfair that such scrutiny is given to the inevitable mis-speak (or what-have-you). This is true for ALL candidates.

I personally find this to a mere mix-up - not an exaggeration or fabrication like Mrs Clintons' referenced Bosnia remarks - not that I necessarily condemned her for those.

I appreciate that you prefer Mrs. Clinton - she (and her policies) are quite commendable, and I am sure she'd make a fine President. Sadly, she has LOST the nomination to someone who is also quite commendable, and better-or-worse has captured the public better than she has. They have much in common policy-wise - I wish you'd just get on board for November.

I might add that I am not a fervent Obama supporter, but he is what we have - and he is a hell of a sight better than many a Democratic Nominee in the past.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well stevento, looks like you're blatantly lying here.......given your own standards it seems......:p........the story was about his uncle......if you can't even get the the facts straight, why should anyone believe you?

guess you didn't dig deep enough to find out the real facts :rolleyes:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Someone's just being pedantic. The fact is that his uncle served during WWII, and he did __________. That's it. Obama said the wrong name. Not a big deal at all. It doesn't change the events that did occur, or how he may feel about it.

6. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

so when hillary slips and says the wrong thing, its a crime, but when obama does its no big deal.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If Hillary just slipped and said the wrong thing once, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when she LIES MULTIPLE TIMES about "landing under sniper fire" when it definitely DID NOT happen, it's a big deal.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

stevento: Mrs. Clinton got the action wrong (she said she landed under sniper fire when she didn't) but got the place right. Mr. Obama got the action right (liberating a Nazi concentration camp) but got the place wrong (Buchenwald instead of Auschwitz). There's quite a difference that I would expect to be apparent to anybody who's paying attention.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nice catch. Even says so in his quote. Still hasn't corrected it either. Unlike Obama, who did correct himself later.

When Hillary exaggerates to make herself look better when something clearly didn't happen, it's unbecoming. Had it happened, she would have simply been trying to say something that happened to her to prove what she's like in times of crisis. Even if it doesn't, she's still have made her point. But it didn't happen, so everyone made fun of her. When Obama says the wrong name to make himself look better, he should have said the right name, and he is trying to relate something that has nothing to do with himself to make him look better to prove a point, but no, not a crime. It's reaching for you. And desperate. Something the far right it doing to try to make him out to be a serial exaggerator like they pegged Gore as, and tried to peg Kerry as. Clinton too, especially when she was exaggerating. Congratulations. You're as desperate as the far right, trying to make a mountain out of something your own article disproves. Something Hillary won't even touch because it's so ridiculous.

I was going to bring this up to show how desperate they've become to focus on such a stupid thing. Like the Rachel Ray/Dunkin Donuts scarf = terrorist thing. That was bs too. Meanwhile Clinton is exaggerating about how she's winning the popular vote (even though she isn't, she's not counting caucuses that don't report popular vote and counting only her votes in FL and MI) and how she's beating McCain in national polls by more votes that Obama is, even though she isn't. But you're ok with that. You want to have a problem with Obama, there's plenty there to legitimately dislike. I've noted several myself. This is not it. This is just reaching. And it's just sad.

So why don't you put aside the unwarranted bias and read your own link again.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Like others have said, there is no story here. So, if you were 'digging' to come up with your assertion that Barack is a liar, you must have been using a teaspoon. So, in all fairness, maybe you could post a retraction with an apology. That is what a person of integrity would do.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

technically, it was an instance of someone (myself) being a little drunk. We're on the same page though.

I thought the horrible spelling and sentence structure might have given such away.

12. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Do you live in the country, stevento? Wherever it is, there must be a lot of straw to grasp.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hillary never apologizes nor retracts, so why should he? :p

If you aren't being sarcastic (seriously, made sense to me, maybe I'm the drunk one), how sad is it that you still made more sense than others here?

14. Mackan macrumors 65816

Something is wrong with that guy (stevento). Probably sent here by the Clinton campaign... Luckily it will end next week, or will it...

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've already said as much. I think you might be right.

16. walangij macrumors 6502

These posts are always fun to read. Hopefully they'll end after June 3.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Nah. DNC rules in no way forbid Clinton from traveling backwards in time and preventing Obama's grandfather from ever meeting his grandmother, but one interpretation of the rules suggests that a candidate will lose all his delegates upon ceasing to exist. We cannot know when or if time travel will be invented, so it would be a disservice to Clinton's supporters and the democratic process if she were to give up at any time prior to her natural death, or afterwards if "the serum" can be perfected. Her strength is that she never gives up. Ever.

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Obama, Clinton, McCain - don't they ALL lie? I thought it's a requirement for the job.

If they don't lie, they embellish, crooked the truth and parse their words to come ever so close.....

19. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I actually heard more in the media about Obama misspeaking about which Nazi camp it was than I did about Clinton's lie about sniper fire. Probably because it was a memorial day speech, but if you claiming the media didn't make a big deal about it, I would say you are incorrect. Even though it wasn't a big deal.

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This was a funny case because of the comparisons with the 'Bosnia Fire' story. I don't see the connection really. Obama wasn't talking about a primary experience - i.e. something he experienced personally - but rather something from family history. Family history is often inaccurate. But Hilary was talking about something from the not so distant past that concerned her directly.Memory lapses are part of life, though Hilary's seems to have been brought on by an surge of bravado.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Let's not forget the misspeaking once versus repeating a mistake at least 3 times. I could almost understand mentioning the Bosnia story and sniper fire once (could be explained by a briefing that mentioned it was a possible, albeit unlikely danger, going into an area where combat was occuring), but she repeated the story again and again.

Not to mention the idea that a person could mis-remember being in a life threatening situation with their own daughter. It seems that would be one of those things you spend your life trying to forget.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Baloney. This story is all over the wingnut blogs. You didn't have to do anything other than listen to the right wing spin machine that Hillary is appropriating at the moment. They're happy to help her right now, but how do you think they'll treat her should she actually get the nomination?

Uh huh... His father? As others have pointed out, misspeaking here means you are blatently lying.

Be honest here... did you know that the Russians liberated Auschwitz and Americans liberated Buchenwald BEFORE this story broke?

Indeed. What a liar. Just like Hillary Clinton is a liar for her Bosnian remarks, and John McCain is a liar for his Sunni-Shia confusion. And just like you're a liar for saying Obama said his father served.

Couple things. One, this isn't as big of a gaffe as Clinton's Bosnia statement. Two, the media is covering this in proportion to the size of the gaffe. I've seen it reported in several places both online and on the teevee. Just because you haven't seen any coverage doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

-----------------------------
    And this leads to what is being billed as "The Best Bitch Slap EVAR" Weird spelling of ever, I know, but what can you do...
    The reply was quick and to the point:

Heh... I don't know about the best bitch slap ever, but that had to sting.

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you're wrong though.
    he is obviously a clever reverse-psychology plant set by the obama campaign.
    the proof is in the old immortal question: cui prodest?

it should be evident to anyone here that the net result of stevento posts is violent irritation towards poor hillary, and support for Obama.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well now, does Obama merely not know his history, or is he a liar? Make up your mind.

I saw the Obama thing on CNN this morning. Proves nothing.

So let me get this straight -- you're willing to tolerate all of Hillary's rule-breaking, her dividing the party, her constantly-shifting versions of what constitutes "winning"...and this is what you get upset about?? A brain fart that everyone else accepts for what it is, a mistake??

The spin you have been putting on whole primary run has gotten positively Limbaugh-esque. Talk about insulting people's intelligence -- the mere fact that you expect any of us to buy this speaks volumes about what you think of us.

25. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Indeed but this is just one example of Obama exploiting his family and conveniently "misspeaking" to make himself look better.

Fool people once, shame on him. Fool people 20 times....

Obama supporters are so caught up in his golden tounge that they can't see through the BS and will blindly defend everything he says and does.