Obama breaking law by being in Libya

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, May 20, 2011.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/liby...es-questions-war-powers-act/story?id=13642002

Not that he cares, he's Saint Obama he can do whatever the hell he wants, he got Bin Laden!

2. mcrain, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I thought NATO was engaged in hostilities. I know the US is providing tanker support, but did I miss something?

(edit) Interesting article and lots of interesting legal questions. Beyond my expertise; I'm going to keep an eye on this.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

He has 30 days to withdraw US Forces. So far, he isn't breaking the War Powers Act just yet.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Obama should set the right example however, as to how to exercise the War Powers. He should take care to see that he doesn't abuse them, or else he gives license to future presidents to stretch them even further.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You win my inaugural "post of the day" award. Insightful.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I am not a Yank, but can he not execute an Executive Order, which would be unquestionable??

9. squeeks, May 20, 2011

squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

He did. Which is why we are there even without congressional approval, but under the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution]war powers resolution thats only good for 60 days then he must be congressional approval to remain there.

Basically this move is just Obama being the arrogant person that he is and defying the constitution he's sworn to upheld.

If Bush had done the same thing the liberals would be screaming for his head.

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It seems you didn't have a problem with illegal wars when Bush was doing it.

Perhaps by aiding Libyan rebels were helping to depose a terrorist regime which you also have supported (at least when it's a Republican doing it).

Your just another "everything Obama does is baaad" conservative. If Bush did this stuff you would have loved it :rolleyes:

11. kavika411, May 20, 2011

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Absolutely not.

(Unless, of course, you believe our drones do any shooting.)

I agree. If Suzie was mean to Billy, then it's okay for Stevie to be mean to Sally.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You haven't heard any of the outrage over the two illegal wars he started?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I was complaining.

But who was listening?

14. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

You're going to have to define your usage of illegal, because if memory serves he had congressional and senate approval for those wars...

That is absolutely not true, I think Obama not changing a lot of the Bush policies, like the ones leading to the capture of Obama are excellent choices.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What a sentence.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Not at all but with some people it's just blatantly obvious what their true motivations are. If you want to be anti interventionist than fine but be consistent.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry squeeks, where were you when W broke the law by invading Iraq?

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Posting right wing chain emails and complaining about liberals on macrumors?

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sorry, I missed it the first time around, exactly what law did he break by invading Iraq? Certainly he bent law and reason to their limits in obtaining permission to mobilize and threaten, but I am not sure that the actual invasion was literally illegal. Con men are really good at technically not doing anything wrong, he had a west-wing-full of those to set it all up.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

As much as I would LOVE to bash Obama on this topic, I have to agree with Lee about W.

OP pick another topic, even the vast majority of conservatives don't argue Libya.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Of course one can't expect news outlets to actually do any research on their own these days, but let's keep a few things about the War Powers Resolution in mind:

1) It was a non-binding joint resolution
    2) Every president since Nixon (the one who was in office when it was passed) has declared that it does not apply and is not constitutional
    3) It is very questionable if the resolution itself is constitutional since it seemingly violates the separation of powers doctrine
    and
    4) The resolution has never been interpreted before to apply to a case where the United States operates under a treaty obligation.

Point 4 is really the most crucial. If NATO is doing all of the work (even if 80% of it is comprised of US military forces) the resolution probably can't be triggered because the President is NOT sending in troops independently. Rather he is obeying the commands of a treaty ratified by 2/3rds of the Senate.

As far as I can tell, NATO has taken full control of the operation (and has been in control for a while now).

Which of course has nothing to do with its legality.

Obama has done plenty of other things that I (and most sensible people) would say are illegal, but they haven't been very controversial within the US because we've agreed with the results (so far).

It isn't about how palatable we find the opposition that is before us, but rather about how palatable we find the methods we use to deal with that opposition.

22. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Might want to read the whole thing...

Section 8, subsection (b) of the War Powers Resolution states: “Nothing in this joint resolution shall be construed to require any further specific statutory authorization to permit members of the United States Armed Forces to participate jointly with members of the armed forces of one or more foreign countries in the headquarters operations of high-level military commands which were established prior to the date of enactment of this joint resolution and pursuant to the United Nations Charter or any treaty ratified by the United States prior to such date.”

23. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

Thats what I want to know, but no one seems to want to answer.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you're asking people to express personal opinion, then you have to wait for their replies.

If you're asking people to provide factual sourced material, then get off your butt and find it yourself.

25. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I've had enough of this. The article on Wiki notes: