Obama Breaks a Record

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aranince, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2009/01/20/obama-inauguration-sets-record-for-private-jets/

And ironically from his speech

And in response

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Tell me, what power does the president elect hold in restricting private flights into IAD? Celebrities and such fly private jets and pollute the atmosphere, it's just what they do. Seems more like a bunch of rich people breaking a record, not Obama.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

But they were coming in to watch the inauguration, so it's Obama's fault.:rolleyes: And now starts the "everything is going to be Obama's fault" phase of our country. :eek:

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Welcome to the position of the biggest cheese in the land, Barack!

6. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes actually. Tell them to fly commercial(god forbid they fly coach:rolleyes:) jets and save fuel and stop more pollution.

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Right ok, again I say you would have Obama tell the people who donated a lot of money to his campaign to go fly coach because you are killing our environment, oh and thanks for the money. Right, ya.

Like I said, I understand your point, but let's come back down to reality here.

8. macfan881 macrumors 68020

atleast the people on these private jets werent asking for a bail out :D

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Of course, it's worth noting that 300,000 people attended George W. Bush's 2004 inauguration while estimates for Barack H. Obama's are between 1.4 million and 2 million people.

So, for 300,000 people there were 300 private planes. But, for 1.4 million to 2 Million there were around 500? Interesting ratios.

This is meaningless trivia, however.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

But amusing, nevertheless. ;)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And what exactly does your signature prove? It's great that we'll have a president who will support Muslims when the rest of the country hates them only for their religion.

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

And very premonitory!

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It doesn't prove anything, it just reinforces the very low opinion I have of him. This thread is really just a desperate attempt to try to pin something on Obama.

Very sad.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Seems to be the norm.

Been that way for the past few presidents anyway.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This not so meaningless trivia needed "QFT" ;) :D

16. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Hey come on, you guys would be all over Bush or McCain or anyone who had a big R next to their name if it were their inauguration which was attended by 500 personal jets.

I'm with you that this is probably not the most important thing to be looking at. But I find it pretty hypocritical that you want to look the other way, when it's the last thing you would have done for Bush. I'm not supporting Bush when I say this, but it seemed like folks here piled of for any manner of stupid thing they could.

I laughed when I read the first comment in this thread, then laughed harder when I read everyone trying to defend Mr. Obama.

At least be fair in your criticisms of the Presidents of the USA

SLC

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

There is no need to defend Obama, he did nothing wrong.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Defend him against what? Do you think this has anything to do with him? This thread is utterly inane and your response even more so, attempting to compare and contrast a non-existent issue with a non-existent response to a hypothetical situation.

If you've been paying attention over the last eight years, criticism of George Bush has been just a little more complicated and far-reaching than bickering about how many private jets have been landing here or there.

Crazy days.

19. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

No, I agree that he didn't it's not like he put those people on private jets himself, or has the power or authority to keep them from doing so; (though I think it would have been appropriate to comment about it at some point during the day). But for people to act like it's no big deal when they would certainly have skewered Bush for what his supporters wore to the inauguration much less traveled there in, is a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

Not that I expected any different though.

SLC

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Sometimes, yes. Often times not so much! Nice try though.

SLC

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How can it be hypocritical when no-one has done these things? You're resorting to making things up in order to make some nebulous point about this forum and other forum members.

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You're looking at this the wrong way. The ratio of people using that sort of transport is lower. It's just the sheer number of people that travelled making the higher figures.

I'd also wager that Obama supporters are far more likely to be concerned with the environment than the guys who support the republican party. Drill, baby. Drill.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

With all due respect, why do you allow it to remain? This only pulls the quality of the PRSI section down.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I like seeing sunlight being shone on stupidity.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yeah that's obviously been demonstrated by the 500 or so private jets that they flew there in. I realize that the ratio was lower, but that's really not what my point is. My point is that if there were 10 million who'd attended a Bush inauguration and 500 private jets landed, you folks would find a way to pin it squarely on Bush.

I'd wager that by and large Obama supporters have the same disregard for their own personal impact on the environment that Republicans have, and are instead more worried about the impact others than themselves are having.

SLC