Obama calling McCain John during the debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by madfresh, Sep 28, 2008.

1. madfresh macrumors regular

I was debating this with other people, and some people thought Obama was being very disrespectful calling him John. Other people said it made Obama seem even the more friendly to them. What is your guy's perception on it?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ill tell you what makes someone seem disrespectful, not even looking them in the eyes then continually and purposefully lying about their policies.

In what world is using someones name disrespectful?

3. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Seems like he was speaking to an equal and his colleague.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What's wrong with calling a fellow Senator by his first name ?

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think confirmation bias will cause people to read way too much into esoteric details.

6. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

I agree that people are reading into this far too much.

It was a professional, yet harmless address to Sen. McCain.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I actually didn't even notice that Obama had called him "John" while I was watching the debate. :eek:

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Do you think that George Bush calling John McCain "John" is disrespectful?

How about Joe Lieberman?

Tom Coburn?

Joe Biden?

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If we must consider Obama his equal, they should address each other as Senator. I'm 45 years old and I don't call older people by their first names, especially someone with the life experiences of John McCain.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That's just bizarre. Do you have any colleagues? I'm 35. I call the president and vice presidents of my company by their first names, even if they're in their 70s.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

were playing the POW card on the internet now too????

I beleive all adults can call each other by their first names.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Obama saved some of his time, which was restricted. Senator McCain is five syllables, John is one. I'm always supportive of someone saving some spit. I say, who cares? They know each other well enough, they can refer to each other by first name.

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It seemed perfectly fine to me. It probably did seem more friendly, especially in contrast to John's unwillingness to even acknowledge Barack was in the room.

Your friends that saw it as "very disrespectful" probably meant to use the term "uppity".

14. Frisco macrumors 68020

Your from Mississippi. No wonder.

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

You know it is funny that this is being brought up as just this morning I had breakfast with some clients who are big McCain supporters (who had even met with him during the convention last month) and the debates were the first thing they wanted to talk about.

They had asked who I thought won, which I told them that I didn't watch the debates because it seems a bit too much like reality TV for my tastes, so they quickly jumped in to express their thoughts. The first thing they brought up was that McCain wouldn't look at Obama and seemed to be rigidly staring at the camera. They sighted Obama's use of calling him John as an attempt to get him to engage in a discussion but that McCain seemed unwilling to look at the man.

McCain is losing these people. They absolutely won't vote for Obama, but they were so disheartened by McCain's recent performances that they suggested they might not vote at all.

But yeah, they didn't see it as disrespect, they saw it as Obama almost attempting to help McCain get into the dialog of the debates. I still haven't watched myself (as I'm far more interested in reading what the candidates stand for than to see them in the political equivalent of a chicken fight), but I was surprised by these people's reactions as the right wing talking points on the net since the debate has been that Obama was being disrespectful by referring to someone he knows by his first name. It seems that people not part of that echo chamber didn't see it that way.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow.

I call all my professors by their first name, the head of the department at the hospital by his first name, all radiation oncologists, nurses, therapists, physicists, etc......by their first name, and I don't really even know some of these people. That's how everyone addresses them.

Of all the things to pick on, this is it?

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

His name is John. He called him John. I don't see what the big deal is.

It's more respectful than some words I've used to refer to John :D

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think how people treat each other shows respect, not what titles they use. You can say Senator McCain in a disrespectful way and say John in a respectful way. So, it's tone as well.

I think you have to remember that we all grow up in different generations, different parts of the world. When I first went to school in Sweden in 3rd grade I was surprised that all students address their teachers by first name. It's just different. Not better or worse. Of course we prefer what we're used to though, I suppose.

19. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Since you're from the south, it doesn't surprise me that you don't use first names. I can't remember the last time I used Mr or Mrs when talking to someone.

Respect is in the attitude, not the title.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Remember last election cycle when one of the more pithy GOP slogans was "Flush the Johns"?

Yep... it's all about respect.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And besides that, "John" never looked at Obama. If we're going to talk about rudeness, and addressing someone in the appropriate manner, how about looking at someone to at least give him the impression that he exists. It wasn't just "unfriendly". It was downright rude.

Even if you're from the south, surely being called John, your first name, isn't as rude as basically ignoring a man.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? There have been some silly threads on the debate, but I think this one just might take the cake. Calling someone one works with by their first name is hardly disrespectful. And Obama really could have slammed him a few times. Come on- this is just silly.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree. With the exception of college professors (except for the ones who wanted to be called by their first name) and my parents, who I call mom and dad, I call everyone by their first name. And that's how I want people to call me. Partly because no one can ever pronounce my last name right, but mostly because I'm not going to judge someone by what name they use, but rather by what they actually have to say.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Well, it is better then "old fart".

Really, this is what you are finding disrespectful?
    Dumbest PRSI thread ever. And I've started some pretty dumb ones.