Obama Calls on Clinton Admin's Staff for His Own

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Nov 13, 2008.

1. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

um, im not really sure what your trying to get out.....

Werent u a huge clinton supporter?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You change policy, not necessarily people. You can't start an effective White House with a bunch of n00bs.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And in a sensitive time, borrowing Clinton staffers with time on the job will make a transition to operational administration quicker and easier.

This will allow a President to focus on a huge issue like a cratering economy rather quick.

Hey, lets do this ... and how do we get it done quick vs. I can't find the bathroom or my desk.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    As if that isn't just the perfect response. I'm already clear I'm going to get real tired of the "is this change" question real soon. As if the "politician fairy" was going to magic-up some "real gud" politicians that have never been in Washington before, out of thin air. Policy, not people. Approach, not advisors. --And, yeah... Clinton people... the most recent successful Democratic administration, is an excellent place to start.

I'd LOVE her as Secretary of State. I think that's a great place for her skills set. Clearly she wasn't interested in being on the Supreme Court. Let's hope the media doesn't grind out a refusal from her in the coming week.

~ CB

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Go back in time and choose not to run.

~ CB

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So, is this really going to be the game?

Obama does something perfectly rational but customary, and some wag will chime in with "This is the kind of change he was talking about?"

Of course, he's hiring some Clinton staffers, some of them knew what they were doing. He might even—and hold onto your chairs for this one—keep some people from previous administrations in their positions!

It seems unless Obama decides to paint the White House orange and replace Marine One with a team of yaks someone is going to make this remark.

9. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

The point I'm getting at is that Obama is full of plop, and CHANGE really is just a word with absolutely zero meaning in this context. When asked about this, he said the point of his candidacy was to break away from "the politics of the past." That's the actual phrase he used. He stated many times he did not intend to revert to Clinton years but evidently, Obama is just so full of **** I don't what to say.

10. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

:rolleyes:

Now you're just trolling. There were good administrations, there were bad administrations. Obama is pulling people from good, successful administrations, SHAME ON HIM. He should be creating a pancake administration, it's never been done before.

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Sigh. Is it going to be like this with everything Obama doesn't do completely different from anyone else?

Hmm... looks like Obama is pro-Israel. I guess this is the CHANGE he was talking about :rolleyes:

Hey look, Obama wears a dark suit and tie. I guess this is the CHANGE he was talking about :rolleyes:

Wow, Obama drinks water. I guess this is the CHANGE he was talking about :rolleyes:

Obama plans to keep the White House painted white. I guess this is the CHANGE he was talking about :rolleyes:

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You seem oddly intent on proving my point.

He could headquarter this new administration at the nearest IHOP.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Wtf are you on about?

He's not even in office yet, has to make one of the quickest and most important transitions of government in our history, yet your sole criterion is whether or not he is thinking of "change" enough?

Where are your priorities? I think Conservatives and Liberals alike can agree that given the context, we should all hope for a successful Obama Administration - as we have a lot of problems to solve.

Policy does not live in a vaccuum (at least not useful policy) - it seems reasonable that Obama make primarily pragmatic decisions so far, on terms of staffing and other pre-presidency logistics in order to be effective in executing Policy. "Change" can come later, in terms of that Policy.

For now, I most certainly give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your idea(s) of political realities strike me as odd...

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

The Obama Administration is going to look more and more like the old Clinton Administration.

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Wait... wasn't the american economy booming at the end of the Clinton Administration? Why wouldn't you want those people back?

16. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

How do you find an experienced Democrat who didn't work in or near the Clinton administration? It was only 8 years ago. If he were to hire all new faces, Republicans and Fox News would be playing the "INEXPERIENCED!" card like crazy. It's a lose-lose situation PR wise.

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The "change" he talked about was a change from the POLICIES of George W Bush, and, as you say, the POLITICS of the past. There's no evidence he isn't changing the policies of W.

He gave a few examples of what he meant by changing the politics. One was the role of lobbyists. He talked about a two-year rule on either end re. lobbyists -- a lobbyist couldn't work in his administration in the same area for two years, and an ex-administration employee couldn't lobby his administration for two years. For the transition team, that has been cut down to one year. If he sticks to one year with his administration, then that would be backing down on the specifics of his promise, but his administration hasn't started, so let's wait and see. And he talked about transparency in lobbying -- putting those sessions on-line or on CNBC, etc. Let's see if he lives up to it. It's not Jan. 20 yet.

Also, he hasn't taken on political staffers from Clinton.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15617_Page2.html
    And he talked about "breaking the partisan gridlock," or whatever. He can't do that alone, the Republicans have to play along. We'll see if anything comes of that. Again, he's not president, he hasn't appointed any cabinet members, and the new congress isn't in place yet.

I think we should go quite a bit to the left of Clinton's right-of-center policies, but Obama never promised that -- that was never part of his "change" message.

Once he has actual policies, and actual appointments, they can be analyzed as to whether they meet up to our own ideas of what's best, and about specific promises he made, but it's ridiculous to use some definition of change that Obama never used himself instead of looking at policies and progress.

18. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

What do you guys think about this story about Hillary being considered for Secretary of State?

The two top names that are floating around are Hillary Clinton and John Kerry.

As much as I like Hillary, I think Kerry would be better suited for the job. Not just in terms of experience but also since Obama and Clinton clashed heavily on foreign policy issues during the primaries. Hillary feels more... eh... domestic and would probably serve better as Secretary of Health and Human Services. I realize this is not quite as prestigious, but Secretary of State shouldn't be a consolation prize.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm not overly excited by it at all. I think it would be the wrong choice for the position.

With that said, she would have Bill to advise her and he's fairly competent.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think she'd be a disaster.

21. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Me too.

She was against the idea of talking to enemies.

To the extent that it's always a 2-for-1 deal with her husband, he bombed Iraq and ignored pleas from Afghanistan about the Taliban regime, and had a "Clinton Doctrine" that was worse than the Bush Doctrine. (although I'm not naive enough to think that will really change, I think she's the wrong face to the world.)

I wouldn't mind seeing her as Attorney General, although she might face too much opposition from Republicans in the nomination process for that.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/11/obama_met_with_clinton.php

23. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I refuse to believe steve is really as ignorant as his argument sounds. I therefore have to agree that he must be trolling. Unfortunately, I believe this entire thread would then, in fact, be "feeding the troll". If steve seriously was interested in discussing these issues, he'd be able to present arguments he disagrees with and articulate why the argument against his position doesn't hold water. Instead, this thread is a litany of logical arguments with random insults thrown in, that will likely not affect his opinion at all.
    I think she would be an EXCELLENT choice. I think Kerry would be less than ideal. I think people really need to take a step back and not believe the "hype" of their groups attacks so much. Hillary Clinton would be on anyone's short list. She campaigned for Obama in over 70 appearances. She knows how to stay on message and get the job done, like she did for him in New Hampshire. She has an invaluable level of experience in this area. She is NOT Bill Clinton, and its a shame that she continues to be seen as a stand-in for him in many eyes.

~ CB