obama correspondents dinner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Apr 30, 2016.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

2. Robisan macrumors 6502

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obama killed. Dude's got great timing.

Larry Wilmore was said to have bombed but I laughed a lot at his jokes. Media can't take but can certainly dish it out.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Year after year Obama has proved he is really in his element at this event. Five years ago he nailed it knowing that an impending attack on Bin Laden was about to happen. Amazing. Last night he nailed it again. So much so that even Republicans were praising him. Even that somewhat nutty Trump supporter Scottie Nell Hughes who actually said he could have dug the knife deeper on her candidate. :eek: What?!

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No surprise. Obama is in his element on The View and Ellen, too.

Unfortunately, he is in over his head with Putin, ISIS, the presidency, etc etc.

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

We could have done without Larry Wilmore's calling Obama the N-word to close out the show.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

He's safe. Liberals can do what they want. Like Fred Armisen doing Obama.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

if the donald did this he would insult everyone and praise himself.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Unfortunately for you, most voters don't agree. :D
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    Yeah, that just wasn't classy and not something people needed to hear.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That explains all the times he's compromised or continued GOP policies (Bush tax cuts, Obamacare=Romneycare*, keeping Bush appointees Gates, Geithner, etc, bringing in Republicans like Hagel, Garland, etc, and so on...)

* which isn't all bad, but there's no denying it. Even Romney admitted it. Have posted articles with comparisons and Romney's own 5-years-late admission enough times in the recent past...

I had no idea he was a white woman like Hasselback or Cameron-Bure...

:rolleyes:

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wilmore bombed in the room because his jokes hit too close to home. He had some good lines but I don't think he was a strong headliner for an event like the WHCD.

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm not overly thrilled with his presidency, but Obama is always great at delivering his jokes. I think he's got an excellent sense of humor.

Larry Wilmore might be good on his own show but I didn't find him funny at all last night. I don't know if I'd say he hit too close to home, his joke to me were just unfunny. Actually I turned him off. Again, loved Obama!

13. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Sorry, but I have to rain on your parade. The real joke there, was Obama himself. Obama who should already be in prison for the rest of his life for his litany of crimes against the American public, his litany of war crimes and terrorism crimes against foreign countries, and his multiple instances of treason against the United States. The press and media in attendance should’ve taken Politico’s Jack Shafer’s urging, and thrown their drinks at Obama’s face or better yet thrown their chairs at his face.

Spare Me Your Hypocritical Journalism Lecture, Mr. President

At an awards ceremony, Obama praises journalists. Back in the White House, he blocks honest press queries with all his power.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/obama-hypocritical-journalism-lecture-213775

By JACK SHAFER March 29, 2016

The last person in the world who should be lecturing journalists on how to do journalism is President Barack Obama. Yet there Obama was Monday night at a journalism award ceremony, yodeling banalities about the role of a press in a free society, moaning over the dangers posed by “he said/she said” reporting, and—to the delight of the assembled audience—attacking Donald Trump in every way but name. The press-heavy crowd, convened by Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications to give the Toner Prize for Excellence in Political Reporting to Alec MacGillis, clapped at Obama’s 30-minute address, encouraging his best Trump-baiting lines about “free media” and the dangers of “false equivalence.”

What they should have done is bombard Obama with rotten fruit for his hypocrisy.

How do we hate Obama’s treatment of the press? Let me count the ways. Under his administration, the U.S. government has set a new record for withholding Freedom of Information Act requests, according to a recent Associated Press investigation. FOIA gives the public and press an irreplaceable view into the workings of the executive branch. Without timely release of government documents and data, vital questions can’t be answered and stories can’t be written.

Obama’s “Insider Threat Program” has turned employees across the government—from the Peace Corps to the Social Security Administration to the Department of Agriculture—into information-squelching snitches. If this isn’t Trumpian behavior, I don’t know what is.

“Obama hates the press,” New York Times national security reporter James Risen said not long ago, “and he hates leaks.” AP Washington Bureau Chief Sally Buzbee has decried the “day-to-day intimidation of sources” by the Obama administration, judging it worse than the Bush administration on that score. And in a 2013 piece, POLITICO’s Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen documented Obama’s mastery of “limiting, shaping and manipulating media coverage of himself and his White House.”

As ProPublica has reported, at the same time the Obama administration has been paying lip service to protecting whistleblowers, it has pursued national security leaks to the press with a vehemence unmatched by any previous administration, using the Espionage Act to prosecute whistleblowers who leak to journalists more times than all previous administrations combined. Obama holds infrequent news conferences, and he wastes reporters’ time by refraining from answering questions with any candor. He claims to helm “the most transparent administration in history,” while bending government policies and practices toward secrecy.

“The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration,” wrote Leonard Downie Jr. in a Committee to Protect Journalists report. And it’s not just Downie complaining. You could break Google by asking it to list all the top journalists who regard the Obama administration as Press Enemy No. 1.

The deeper you study Obama’s relationship with the press, the more you want to ask what business he has giving out a press award. Was Trump himself busy that night?

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama's casual and non-antagonistic relationship with the media should concern everyone. Of course it doesn't because Obama is cool and a Democrat.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. More negativity. It's funny, all those many many MANY reporters didn't have a problem with him last night. And since the event was a correspondent dinner and not a "Jess13" dinner, than neither should you.

The conspiracy theories and constant negativity gets old. Do you have anything positive to say about what the President has done the last eight years? Anything at all?

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I swear I keep hearing about a tinfoil shortage.

17. Jess13, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Well, considering Obama is directly responsible for an incredible amount of negativity, suffering, death, torture, sadness, war, etc., on and on, it’s only fitting that I regularly point out some of that negativity he is responsible for, has caused and still is causing. Saying “conspiracy theories” doesn’t really mean anything.

I don’t like Obama, not at all. But I wasn’t always opposed to or hated the guy. He could have been among the greatest of U.S. presidents ever, instead he’s practically worthless and among the all-time worst.

I have many good, positive things to post on many subjects and topics. I just came to post this in response to this thread, actual comedy from earlier today, I believe. Fiorina falls off stage after introducing Cruz, and Cruz doesn’t bother to help his VP, he’s too busy trying to shake strangers’ hands haha. So much fail.

--- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    Here is a good, positive story from April 20th.

Murder charges dropped, man freed after 20 years in prison

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/...arges-dropped-man-freed-after-20-years-prison

A Chicago man who spent more than two decades in prison for the slayings of two men was released Tuesday after Cook County prosecutors dropped the murder charges against him.

Edward Bolden, who walked out of the Cook County Jail on Tuesday afternoon, was sentenced to life in prison for the killings of Irving Clayton, 23, and Derrick Frazier, 24. The victims were found shot to death in a burning car on January 29, 1994, in what authorities say was a drug deal gone bad.

"I'm glad I'm out," Bolden said. "It looks foreign. A lot of this wasn't even out here when I left."

Bolden was convicted on the testimony of a single eyewitness who identified him as the gunman. The witness was Derrick Frazier's brother and was also wounded in the shooting. But an investigator later interviewed three witnesses who testified at a hearing last year that they saw Bolden playing an arcade game inside a restaurant at the time of the killings.

"Each of the witnesses said exactly what two of the witnesses had said at trial — which is that Eddie was inside a fish restaurant at the time the shootings were happening outside," said Bolden's attorney Ron Safer. "These three people were totally impartial. They had never met Eddie before, but they remembered that he was in there and they testified to that at the hearing."

Circuit Judge Alfredo Maldonado in January ordered a new trial for the 46-year-old Bolden, saying he had a "substantial deprivation of constitutional rights" following his arrest.

Bolden was being held in lieu of $1 million bail after prosecutors initially said they would retry him. But the Cook County State's Attorney's office Tuesday suddenly announced it would dismiss the case and drop the charges.

Bolden expressed anger that he lost more than 20 years of his life for a crime he didn't commit.

"I knew (freedom) would come, I just didn't know when," he said. "I didn't think it would take 22 years, but I still have my life."

3358EBDA00000578-3548972-image-a-75_1461122014807.jpg 3358C09F00000578-3548972-image-a-74_1461121997102.jpg 3358BFC300000578-3548972-image-a-77_1461122045424.jpg

The restaurant they went to for his first post-prison meal and release celebration: https://giordanos.com Hopefully he wins a fair $ettlement for the 22 years of his life the state took away.

18. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A first class frat boy type "duh" fits his "bro" image well. He's a hit with the young clueless segment of the population that are waiting for a $20 hr. minimum wage, no skill required "jobs" Hussein is their hero. His legacy...

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

he is a terrible comedian

20. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

I could only watch a minute of it, the first thing that came to mind was "he is the joke".:mad:

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His show is more about his commentary and not his jokes. To be fair with the exception of @Midnight the whole Comedy Central late night block sucks now.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

yeah i agree. i liked trevor noah's standup, but his daily show is just terrible. and most of the correspondents are awful too. shame

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ironic because the ones I have seen posted don't really mean anything either.

And you didn't list a single positive thing about Obama. That speaks volumes to me. There have been plenty of Presidents that I have disagreed with, yet I could list at least one thing they did that I like or could say something good about.

24. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

If you mean actual conspiracy crimes that I have posted information on, or information that strongly suggests conspiracy crimes, feel free to tell me which ones and I’ll happily expand on any for you.

That is because I don’t like Obama - at all. He doesn’t deserve any applause. Period. I used to occasionally defend Obama from certain attacks by dumb righties, including up to less than one year ago. I have since ceased and am now merciless with my disdain. I might still correct somebody, for instance yesterday in this Sarandon thread I corrected ‘thewitt’ about Obama and Iraq:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-is-scarier-than-trump.1970392/#post-22856392

MR.png
    But I don’t have anything nice to say about Obama, he’s among the worst human beings on the planet today. In my opinion, he’s also the biggest and fakest joke in U.S. politics ever. Bar none.

25. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I love this President. His poll numbers just keep going up. Not surprising, with the amount of obstruction and right wing stupidity he's had to deal with since taking office, he's done an incredible job. Righties are just sour that their party is unpalatable to the majority of the US population and have basically already conceded the election to Hillary. I'm sure it must hurt. Maybe once your party cleans up their act they'll have a chance again. Of course, they're gonna have to drop the whole "angry old white guy" look, it's just not flattering for them.