Obama Delivers Incredible Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jan 12, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope all of you were watching Obama's speech which I think is a turning point in his presidency.

nyt

2. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

It was a beautiful speech. It was supposed to be a memorial, not a champaign.

3. obeygiant, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You mean campaign?

As a leader this is Obama's job. We, as in the american populace or the world, were really in a dark place in regards to finger pointing-- in a spiral-- and he righted us.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Maybe he was feeling bubbly.

[rimshot]

Sorry. :eek:

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lets hope the stupid talking heads (aka Media) listen to it instead of the normal lets find someone to blame game.

6. redshift1 macrumors regular

Surprise surprise Fox News provides a excellent review and commentary of the service at least for tonight.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I had conflicting feelings about the event.

The speech itself was great. The audience stopping Obama every two minutes for applause provoked two reactions:

• "I wish they'd stop doing that. It's making this memorial look more like a campaign speech."
    • "On the other hand, it is heartening to see that so many people agree so strongly that we need to be more civil to each other."

8. redshift1 macrumors regular

No question the clapping and cheering was misplaced.

9. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I saw that too, they were spot on.

Some people may think the tone was too upbeat for a memorial service, but I thought Obama struck note that was respectful and hopeful. Also the audience was comprised of many students who can get energized.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought Obama gave a great speech. The clapping didn't bother me. I think they wanted that type of atmosphere which is probably why it was held at a college.

11. redshift1 macrumors regular

In contrast Palin's statements today seemed off-key.

12. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I didn't even listen to that.

13. mgguy, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

... perhaps because she was speaking with the purpose of defending herself against allegations that she was responsible for murder. He, on the other hand, was speaking with the primary purpose of memorializing those who had died. Quite different tasks with different needed tones.

On a side note, what was with all the reading from the bible? You would think this was a church service or something. Somewhat off-putting to those who don't believe in that religion (or any religion for that matter).

14. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

I posted something on my facebook about how he quoted the Bible and I really liked his speech (and the bible quote wouldn't have come from him if he was a Muslim like so many still think)--one of my friends responded that the only reason he quoted it was because someone else wrote it.

Geezus.

I need some of you as my facebook friends so I can have some support. It's hard being liberal in the south. :(

15. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That's an excellent point. Baseless allegations.

But at the same time Sarah Palin can't hold a candle to Barack Obama in giving speeches.

16. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

oh, and link for those of us who have 8 computers but no tv?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I was surprised when I heard my mom say that Fox News had the best commentary and was the least one trying to tear Obama apart and she hates Fox News.

I just am over hearing a lot of from the talking heads.

18. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

You mean he righted you.

Since this tragedy occurred I stood firmly with those watching FOX NEWS awaiting facts and relevant information before making accusations. Accusations I have yet to make assigning guilt to persons not involved.

19. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

Greatest Storyteller EVER!

20. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I understand what you mean, but if you read my posts as of late, I've been pushing back hard against the tide of "vitriolic rhetoric from the right" accusations which really had no logical footing. But in the spirit of brotherhood, I chose to use the word "us" as to resist the urge to twist the knife.

21. 184550 Guest

I agree, that had no place at a memorial service.

If they wanted a stadium full of ignorant college kids that had no idea how to behave at a memorial service they certainly got it. I think the expressions on Obamas face at times were very telling. It was an awarkward situation for him to be in.

Posted from my iPad.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That sounds awfully self-righteous and seems to imply that anyone watching fox is totally impartial.

What accusations are you referring to? Although there's no video footage, there seems to be no doubt that Jared is the one who pulled the trigger.

23. Thomas Veil, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What's wrong with this picture?

I think you're seeing something that wasn't there. As to the "ignorant" people (they were hardly all college kids), their response was genuine. You can't fault them for that.

If there's no logical footing, why is everybody so upset about it? Do you really think this is some kind of...I don't know, mass hysteria or something?

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

While the words and intent are all good-it was amongst the most bizarre things I have seen.
    I am glad there were so many bible references-just found them strange coming from some of the speakers.
    And don't worry I won't be around making posts, just wanted to comment on how strange the memorial service was.

25. 184550 Guest

Ah, so it's endearing to be genuinely rude?

I'll have to remember that one.