Obama doing his part to stimulate the economy...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aranince, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Guess you didn't get the news that Obama is fine with the current ones and won't be getting new ones.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You get your news from a source who runs ads by OBAMABINLYIN.net?
    :rolleyes:

3. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

From the article... "Last March, the Pentagon began studying why the program had nearly doubled in cost after Pentagon acquisition chief John Young reported that total costs has grown from $6.8 billion to $11.2 billion since the contract was let in 2005. "

I guess you are blaming Obama for this because he will fly in the helicopters that were ordered under Bush's watch?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/16/AR2008031602936.html

Article about the new Marine One fleet, dated March 2008. Who was president then? Oh yeah, Bush was.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090223/pl_afp/uspoliticsobamahelicopter

And an article about how Obama is examining the plan to buy new Marine One helicopters to possibly cut costs or cancel it all together.

Once again, you fail at making Obama look bad. But I don't know why I even waste my time replying to your crappy threads. It's going to be just like all your other hit-and-run threads, you're going to post something that's completely inaccurate and from a right wing "news" source, we're going to debunk it with actual facts from an actual news source, and you're never going to come back in here to defend yourself.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Perhaps OP has a future in sensationalist slanted news? (Actually, that sounds like a catchy name, maybe Fox should consider it?)

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Newsmax is universally terrible. Their M.O. is to be as partisan as possible to cash in on consevatives. They've got a sourcewatch entry.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WOW, just read the link, what a scummy "news" source.:eek:

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Take a deep breath, back away from the computer. Slowly. Okay now lay down.

;)

From the articles you both posted it looks like Obama is going to spend the same 11.2 BILLLION on helicopters just Obama wants to spend it in jolly ol' England.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To be fair, there is a certain class of members here who show up once in a while to just try to cause controversy, then violate PRSI rules by not backing it up.

ANNNNND on those grounds, *thread reported*

10. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yeah, that is not the most non-partisan organization in the world, but what about the jobs building these multi Billion dollar machines creates?

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The Marine One replacement fiasco is Bush's fault, not Obama's. Every day new details are leaking out about just how corrupt things were in terms of letting contracts and financial oversight. The former Executive Director of the CIA under Bush is going to jail over similar fraud already - why should we be surprised crap like this continues to come to light?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont think they create NEW jobs, seeing as they are built in exsiting complexes, but it sure as hell retains some, up until they are done anyway.

I hope he chooses to ditch them, unless there is something important the current ones dont have.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That same money would be much better spent on infrastructure projects, if the concern truly is maximizing your job-creation dollar.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The original contract, for the VH-71 helicopters, which are built in England, was signed under the Bush administration. Obama is not redirecting 11.2 Billion dollars from American-made choppers for British-made choppers, they were going to be the British-made ones all along. The type of choppers being bought hasn't changed at all. And now Obama is re-evaluating the entire plan because he feels that the current Marine One fleet is fine and does not need replacing, especially at such a high cost.

15. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Lets not forget that Obama is not doing his part to stimulate the economy, but doing his part to Bankrupt the economy.

1) 645 billion dollar Global warming tax. (yes you and me will have to pay this)
    2) 8 Billion dollar medicare tax increase (for the "higher income people" in america)
    3) 636 Billion to eliminate the Bush Tax cuts.
    4) 31 Billion in new taxes on the oil and natural gas industry.
    When did the wealthiest people in america become a cookie jar? For the president to take from and dish out like a modern day Peter Pan.

That gives me no incentive to do better for myself, and actually penalizes me for working extremely hard, and earning money for services that people need, and pay for.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Obama isnt cancelling the Bush tax cuts, he is just letting them expire as they were meant to. But I'm sure you'd rather word it as accusingly as possibly right?

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If your only incentive in life to work hard or better yourself is to earn money I think it's time you re-examined your personal priorities and motivations.

The whole "penalise hard work" argument if ridiculous. People work hard on all levels of income. You aren't paid proportionally to how hard you work.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's good news. The problem with the current, '60s vintage helicopters used for presidential transport is that they are approaching their airframe fatigue life limit - once that limit is reached they can't fly anymore. So we either have to find some mothballed Sea King airframes with lower hours and convert them, or buy a new custom helicopter.

Whichever way Obama goes it shouldn't cost anywhere near what Bush was apparently going to pay.

19. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Ok, sorry for my accusation. He is going to let them expire, but Obama already has the money spent.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Who knew going back to Reagan-era tax levels would make conservatives so insanely angry?

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah because he could be a big bad conservative.

The 11.2 BILLION is for a fleet of 23 helicopters. You'd think he could just get by on 10 choppers and only spend like 5 billion.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And in very needed places. What's the problem? As you said your better off anyway, Id love to be in that position in this economy.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as all signs point to not getting them, whats the problem here? They were ordered by Bush, not obama.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm still struggling with the Peter Pan reference :confused: