OBAMA: Elizabeth Warren is 'wrong' on trade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-elizabeth-warren-wrong-trade-135745279.html
    democrats & republicans mostly agree in sticking it to the people when they work together. P-A/NSA came about in a bipartisan effort.

https://ustr.gov/tpp

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

I thought this was going to be a discussion about trinkets and wampum.

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Well, I'll take Obama's word over Warren's. He's been pretty much right on everything so far.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Correction. He's been pretty much left on everything so far.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Most of the people who support Elizabeth Warren will support her in this. The real left-wing is not in favor of the TPP, anything that might cause it to crash is a good thing. Another sign that Barack Obama is not a "liberal".

(Also, many Warren supporters do not really want her in the Whitehouse because she can be more effective, for longer, where she is.)

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Whenever I hear things like "Obama is the most liberal president in history" I always have to laugh.

P-Worm

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

NAFTA, repeal of Glass-Steagall, and now the TPP.

The Democrats are Big Business whores just like the GOP. Only difference is the GOP isn't embarrassed about it.

8. xmichaelp, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Maybe on social issues.

Ditto. Yesterday I was watching some old campaign ads and saw this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9ft5HXaUw&list=FL1So0MGeiKp8sIrep7RRKHA&index=1

A three minute rant from a Republican trying to prove how liberal he is to a liberal constituency.

Now? Now the Democrats try and prove how conservative they are the GOP.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Past experience demonstrates that free trade agreements hurt the U.S. standard of living, because we're forced to compete against countries with far cheaper labor, lower standards and fewer regulations.

On the surface, that may appear to be a bad thing. However, it may just be the inevitable leveling of the world economy. I don't think it's the end of the world to lower our expectations as to how lavishly we live. Ultimately, I don't think we have a choice here. This leveling is going to occur sooner or later regardless of how much we resist it.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Not agreeing with his political views doesn't equate being wrong.

12. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

It's worth asking why a round of secret TPP meetings were moved from Vancouver to Ottawa at the 11th hour last year. It's worth asking why the only reason we know the little we do about what the TPP includes is because of Wikileaks. It's worth asking why members of Congress have been repeatedly shut out of knowing anything about the provisions of the TPP. It's worth asking why the partisan rhetoric in media has been ramped up to such insane levels while there it little to no coverage of the TPP in major media outlets.

Also, this is worth a read.

The TPP isn't about free trade. It's about the plutocrats gaining more power. It's about global corporatism getting a huge boost.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In Econ 1A, way back in the day, we got the classical proof that trade benefits both countries, and, therefore, the more free the trade, the better. It was one thing conservatives and liberals, back then, could agree on. Trade is, or, was, good. And, maybe it was, back then. What we never talked about, though, is the distribution of the benefits of that trade.

By the usual definition of standard of living, I don't think that is correct. I think free trade has improved the average standard of living.

I look at it differently. I think free trade is blind to the fact that all over the world, there is a surplus of people who need to work with their hands. People who are not college material, and, never will be. Their standard of living is eroding, while the standard of living of those above them is increasing.

I think trade treaties, and, trade, need to be re-thought so that all countries can better deal with the surplus of manual workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/upshot/why-workers-without-much-education-are-being-hammered.html?rref=upshot&abt=0002&abg=1