Obama Endorses 2012 Marriage Equality Ballot Measures

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Supporters of marriage equality have the president's backing on votes in Washington, Maryland, Maine and Minnesota

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/obama-endorses-marriage-ballot-measures

Yet another reason why Obama should be re-elected. He actually backs rights for ALL the citizens that he proposes to lead. Unlike Romney and Ryan who both want to block rights of some of the citizens. Like some sort of King or dictator. No thanks! Not in a free country.

2. dscuber9000, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the opposition, but I will truly never understand the politics of the opposition. What do you get by campaigning against gay marriage? Does it really swing votes? Gay marriage has to be like #50 on the list of issues for straight people.

Mormons do not believe that homosexuality is a sin, so it really shows Mitt Romney's lack of spine that he has been quietly against gay marriage to appease his voting base. - Ignore

3. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

(dscuber9000- Mormons do believe homosexuality is a sin)

The fact that I and people I have known for decades, and in some cases since birth, will be going to the polls to vote on whether or not I can get married seems so wrong and so strange. In a way, I don't even want to know which way people I know are voting. The TV ads have been so disgusting and immoral in their manipulation, hatred, and lies. Just archaic and not of this century. I'm not really sure how I am going to feel that day to be honest.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm hopeful for all states, especially my own state (MD). Planning on going to vote tomorrow if the lines aren't too long.

I saw this posted from a few of my Facebook friends and I agree wholeheartedly.

‎"I wish my moderate Republican friends would simply be honest. They all say they’re voting for Romney because of his economic policies (tenuous and ill-formed as they are), and that they disagree with him on gay rights. Fine. Then look me in the eye, speak with a level clear voice, and say, 'My taxes and take-home pay mean more than your fundamental civil rights, the sanctity of your marriage, your right to visit an ailing spouse in the hospital, your dignity as a citizen of this country, your healthcare, your right to inherit, the mental welfare and emotional well-being of your youth, and your very personhood.' It’s like voting for George Wallace during the Civil Rights movements, and apologizing for his racism. You’re still complicit. You’re still perpetuating anti-gay legislation and cultural homophobia. You don’t get to walk away clean, because you say you 'disagree' with your candidate on these issues."
    - Pulitzer and Tony winning playwright Doug Wright

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Of course, yes. Sorry, it's been a hell of a night. :D

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I'm from Maryland as well, have you seen the two anti-marriage ads? One claiming it will harm the children and the other claiming if we don't "get our way" we will do things like destroy property or get people fired if we do "get our way". Not sure if it will pass, although the state would make history if it did (first to approve via popular vote), which would be a nice addition to our history of freedom-fighting (Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, Thurgood Marshall).

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't get cable and don't watch local tv so I'm spared from tv commercials. I haven't heard anything on the radio though.

Also, who knows who paid for those ads? When California had their ballot measure, a lot of the ads were paid by a Mormon group from Utah. Theirs was also a little confusing though because a yes was against marriage. The ads played up that confusion.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow a politician who stands by his moral convictions. How rare these days. That alone proves he's more electable than Romney.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I think these are paid by the Family Research Council - I believe I remember hearing "family" something. Haven't had any luck finding them online.

10. Squadleader macrumors regular

Your such a hypocrite as is your messiah...

May 9, 2012 12:25pm
    Timeline of Obama’s ‘Evolving’ on Same-Sex Marriage
    Email 34 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

President Obama will sit down with “Good Morning America” anchor Robin Roberts today at the White House for a wide-ranging interview, his first since Vice President Joe Biden publicly voiced his support for same-sex marriage and North Carolina voters imposed a new ban on all same-sex unions.

Asked Tuesday whether Obama was prepared to opine on the debate, White House spokesman Jay Carney said, “I can tell you that I’m sure it is the case that he will be asked again at some point when he gives interviews or press conferences about this issue, and I’ll leave it to him to describe his personal views.”

Here’s a look back at the various positions he has held on the issue: from appearing to support the unions as a young state senate candidate, opposing them outright as a matter of faith in 2004, to suggesting a shift in line with public opinion:

FEBRUARY 1996: “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages,” reads a typed, signed statement from then-Illinois state senate candidate Obama in response to a questionnaire by the Chicago LGBT newspaper “Outlines.” White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer later publicly disavowed the statement, claiming in June 2011 that the questionnaire was “actually filled out by someone else.”

OCTOBER 2004: “What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman … What I believe, in my faith, is that a man and a woman, when they get married, are performing something before God, and it’s not simply the two persons who are meeting,” then-U.S. Senate candidate Obama said in an interview with WTTW Chicago public television.

“That doesn’t mean that that necessarily translates into a position on public policy or with respect to civil unions. What it does mean is that we have a set of traditions in place that, I think, need to be preserved, but I also think we need to make sure that gays and lesbians have the same set of basic rights that are in place.

“I don’t think marriage is a civil right,” Obama said when asked whether there’s an inherent right to marry.

OCTOBER 2010: “I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage,” President Obama said during an interview with liberal bloggers. “But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine. And I think that it is an issue that I wrestle with and think about because I have a whole host of friends who are in gay partnerships.”

DECEMBER 2010: “My feelings about this are constantly evolving. I struggle with this. At this point, what I’ve said is, is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have,” Obama said in response to a question from ABC’s Jake Tapper at a White House press conference.

“I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think is something that we’re going to continue to debate and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward,” he said.

JUNE 2011: “The president has never favored same-sex marriage. He is against it. The country is evolving on this, and he is evolving on it,” Pfeiffer told progressive activists at the Net Roots Nation conference.

JUNE 2011: “I think it’s important for us to work through these issues because each community is going to be different, each state is going to be different,” Obama said when asked during a White House news conference about New York becoming the latest state to legalize same-sex marriage.

“I think what you’re seeing is a profound recognition on the part of the American people that gays and lesbians and transgender persons are our brothers, our sisters, our children, our cousins, our friends, our co-workers, and that they’ve got to be treated like every other American,” he said. “And I think that principle will win out. It’s not going to be perfectly smooth, and it turns out that the president — I’ve discovered since I’ve been in this office — can’t dictate precisely how this process moves.”

OCTOBER 2011: “I’m still working on it,” Obama said when asked by ABC’s George Stephanopoulos whether he would move from supporting civil unions for same-sex couples to supporting gay marriage.

“I probably won’t make news right now, George. But I think that there’s no doubt that as I see friends, families children of gay couples who are thriving, you know, that has an impact on how I think about these issues.”

Oh yea, from one of your own...Your all still pathetic

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/timeline-of-obamas-evolving-on-same-sex-marriage/

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I guess Squadleader expects us to support Romney who has went the complete opposite direction on the issue? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. I'm content with sticking with the President and I am content with the fact that I know the difference between "your" and "you're".

12. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

While I have never liked the changing positions of Obama just in order to get elected, he has always shown, through actions, that he cares about equality for all people. Romney on the other hand, has gone the other way and shown that he doesn't care about equality at all. He seems to prefer inequality. And Ryan too. That alone should be reason for disqualification.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The only thing pathetic here are the people who in 2012 are still trying to deny civil rights to others. From your apparent dislike of Obama, one could assume that you are a Romney supporter, and therefore support a candidate who wants to take away people's civil rights in a country founded on the principle that "all men are created equal."

This issue is not black and white like the article you posted tries to lead people to believe. We are a progressive country, and like the two quotes I bolded from your post, attitudes do evolve. I mean, when the country was founded (on the premise of "all men are created equal"), slavery was still legal and accepted. Eventually, as our society progressed, people realized that this was wrong and it was outlawed. The same things happened with child labor laws and women's suffrage in the early 1900s and civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s.

Society progresses as a whole, but some people take longer than others. You can't fault President Obama because his progression on this issue took a few years longer than others. A large portion of the country has made the same exact progression has him over the past few years. The important thing is not that he hadn't progressed a few years ago, it's that he has now. These are the qualities you look for in a President: someone who can support the ideas of the majority of the country but still is open to having their beliefs progress as society does.

What we DON'T need is a President who doesn't support the civil rights of all citizens and someone who wants to regress women's rights back to the 1950s. That's a slippery slope too.. because if the republicans are successful in that, what's next? Taking back the women and minorities right to vote? Taking the kids out of school and putting them back in the factory?