Obama: European jihadists threaten US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 29, 2014.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-european-jihadists-threaten-us-172036736.html

we have no business in Syria, we had no business arming the rebels there, how are these "militants" a threat to the U.S if we help arm them? :confused:
    Obama is just as stupid if not more than Bush.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Well, there was a bright September morning about thirteen years ago when some visitors who should have triggered some scrutiny didn't, and the results were tragic.

As to the folks in Syria that we have been arming, they're not nice people and they want you and me very dead. But the policy of this Administration seems to be that a blood-steeped swamp of ambitious, head-chopping jihadists is preferable to a thuggish but untroublesome dictator, if Egypt and Libya are any example, so our demented policy in Syria is at least consistent.

3. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

we had no business in Libya either. we are doing nothing but creating the terrorist.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

What is a "battle hardened" French guy - no matter how much time he spent fighting Assad in Syria - going to do to commit terrorism in the United States?

More to the point: Why would he even bother?

Terrorism is many things. But, unless its committed by the truly mentally unbalanced, its rarely pointless. You don't just show up at a street fair in Mankato or a a Dennys in Raleigh, and start killing random Americans, just to get some unspecified point across.

People are fighting in Syria and Iraq because they have disputes with the people there. They don't really care that much about Americans living in the USA.

We (Americans) are a tough people. We seemed just fine with the notion of sending our young men and women off to risk their lives fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. And realistically the odds of any one of us, living fat and happy here in the USA, falling victim to any sort of terrorist act are so minuscule as to beggar belief. We are, each of us, a million times more likely to be struck by lightning, or kill our selves falling in the shower, than to fall victim to a French/Syrian terrorists bullet. And if - heaven forbid - some idiot tried to commit a terrorist act here, we've got tens of thousands of trained cops, firefighters, and EMTS ready to respond.

America: Grow up and grow a pair.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Yes we do, we have to go through the ESTA process.

A freind of mine who has spent the last year or so teaching in Palestine and Syria flew to the states the other day, the immigration officer noticed the stamps in his British passport and decided to give him a 3 hour interrogation. He's not even remotely middle eastern either.

Last time I flew to the states the chap I was travelling with had an hour interrogation, essentially because "He looked a bit brown".

The US is neither an easy place, nor a welcoming place to get into for europeans..... if getting through immigration is rubbish enough to put me off visiting without ever being interrogated, I very much doubt the US has much to worry about at all from European Jihadists. :rolleyes:

Yet Americans tramp all over europe totally unimpeded under Shenghen (not that it bothers me, but it just makes me laugh how the states likes the freedom of movement to be a heavily biased in their favour).

6. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Al-Qaeda was a group that the US helped arm. So don't think that arming them will suddenly make them our best friends ever.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If you are talking about the rebels in Syria, arming them is a very bad idea. Assad is leader of the ruling Ba'ath party, which is secular. The rebels, should they gain control of the country, are theocrats, who will try to rule Syria with al Shari'a (which at least seems like a fairly reasonable system on papyrus). More importantly, though, a faction of the rebels are the "Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant" bunch (ISIL) who have been tearing it up in Iraq of late. These are former members of al Qaeda who got kicked out for being too crazy for al Qaeda. And their charter is to take control of the Levant, for mohammed and allah.

"The Levant" refers to the area between Turkey and Saudia Arabia. Which, obviously, includes Jordan, Lebanon and Israel. Jordan is a fairly moderate state, Lebanon, last I looked, is basically a mess, but Israel presents a serious issue for the US. If the US arms the rebels and they take control of Syria, what follows will almost certainly become the US's problem.

Letting Assad exterminate those people may seem distasteful, but letting them take down Assad is a far worse prospect, probably resulting in another Afghanistan as US forces go to fight the people that got a leg up from the US in the first place, in ultimate defense of Israel.

This cannot end well – except, of course, for the guys who manufacture weapons.

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

which BOTH democrats & republicans support

9. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Bipartisan support rarely means it's a good idea.

10. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

no kidding, that is how the patriot act & the NSA got started.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

12. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

13. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Love it! :)

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That was the result of arming Afghan fighters during the Cold War. Arming the Syrian rebels. Yeah, I see good things coming out of this in 30-40 years.:rolleyes:

It's time we got our (_!_) out of the Middle East and concentrated on fixing what needs fixing, our infrastructure.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Which I do not contest. The president himself wants to send money to people we should not be sending money to. I might try to do something about it, but I am kind of running low on votes these days.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not stupid. Just unprincipled (and sometimes without vision). Dubya, on the other hand, was thick as two planks.