Obama extends Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, May 27, 2011.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Got 72 votes in the senate, so a veto override could have been in the works.

Disappointed as well, though.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

you and Rand Paul

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

"It's an important tool for us to continue dealing with an ongoing terrorist threat," Obama said Friday

Leave the Middle East and you won't have to.

Don't deal with the threat, deal with the *cause.*

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I really don't get all the commotion over roving wiretaps. Doesn't it make sense to have the court order to tap a persons phone be for the person and not the device itself? It cuts a lot of hassle for law agencies to have to keep on getting new court orders for the suspects new phones.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

What a joke Obama has become. He's nothing but a lying crook like every other politician.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Call me prejudice, but I'd pick him over most any mainstream GOPper today. However that being said, I've hated the PA since it's inception, DAMN IT, mostly because of the opportunity to take advantage, go beyond its original mandate. You guys who scream about personal liberty should be screaming right about now.

Hillary, we need you.

8. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Anybody still saying Obama hasn't moved to the center after this?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This absolutely sucks. Obama needs to get it together and knock this s*** off.

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I agree, the GOP is even worse. There is no left or right in Washington. There is only the perception of Left and Right that the media feeds to the public. D's and R's are Corporatists and nothing more and The United States is no longer a Republic it is a Corporatocracy.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wiki's defintion of Corporatism:

12. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Wiki's definition of Corporatocracy

Sound familiar?

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Only in the minds of people who erroneously placed him on the far left to begin with.

I disagree with this move, I think Obama is caving to intense pressure from the intelligence community (or at least certain groups within the intelligence community) to keep these options open. They are doubtless citing operations like the bin Laden raid and recent thwarted plots as evidence that this surveillance works.

In a narrow sense proponents of these methods are right - it probably makes nabbing terrorists easier in certain circumstances - but Obama needs to better take into account the extent to which this activity infringes on our civil rights.

Hillary voted for the PA if I recall correctly, and also voted to re-authorize it. There are a lot of politicians who don't like it, but I chalk its continued existence up to internal pressure from the intelligence community who have the ear of a faction of powerful congresspeople on both sides of the aisle. In the current politcal climate, any vote against an "anti-terrorism" bill is going to be attacked by a certain section of the media and political spectrum as a vote against "making us safer".

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obama is our most conservative president since Clinton.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Perhaps this was a comprise with the intel agencies.
    We'll give you Osama if you extend the Patriot act.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

More conservative than Bubba (I mean W)? Please tell me one thing that W did that could be called liberal? :p

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Spent money like water?

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So Israel is going to be left in the cold? That's the only way the US could leave the Middle East.

Frankly the idea of that isn't reasonable - withdrawing support for Israel's actions slowly is good for them, but withdrawing them fast will create more problems than it solves.

20. dime21 macrumors 6502

Bush signs the Patriot Act = "Bush is awful and horrible and we hate him!!"

Obama signs the Patriot act = "we're mildly disappointed".

Lefties sure make me LOL!

[​IMG]

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Who do you "righties" have to offer? I'm willing to vote for a better candidate. So far, I see no decent alternatives. Many righties would keep the Patriot Act too.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Boiling complex political processes down into absurdly simplified or misrepresented binary choices (and then accompanying them with mild slander) is not a substitute for wit, nor is it remotely constructive.

23. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Well, maybe Ron Paul wouldn't, but since he's all for repealing the Civil Rights Act, that's burning down the house because you don't like the wallpaper...

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Even our representatives don't have the clearance to be briefed on parts of the Patriot Act. What they are briefed on, they only get a few minutes to get the info, no notes or any way to retain the info other than what they can remember, and no other staffers.

How can this **** go on in a democracy? :confused:

25. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

THIS.

Obama sure has disappointed me. But so far the GOP has shown me no candidate that would do better.